#29 Patrick Ambrose -- forward or back?

Dont agree.

Paddy was horrible today.

But he is typically a very very reliable defender. Panicked a bit today under the high ball.

He usually isn’t too slow either but Buddy’s pace is ridiculous for a guy his size.

I don’t disagree he had a poor game but I think this guy is definitely AFL standard.

He just wasn’t given a chance by being given ■■■■■ matchups all day by the coaching staff.

He puts in effort and doesn’t fall over match sticks which is a serious improvement over a lot of our other defenders.

1 Like

ambrose was ■■■■ but any defender would have been with the lack of pressure applied by our midfield. Hes had a pretty good season overall

2 Likes

Got absolutely destroyed today. But is still our best defender by a mile(with hooker now a forward).

I have no worries about him long term. None

7 Likes

Just based on the intraclub, I think there is some chance Ambrose might have taken his game to another level.

Saw some good disposal, and some pretty good marks.

Add that to his tank, discipline, and ability to physically hurt the opposition, and this guy becomes a pretty important piece of the puzzle.

5 Likes

Was pants’ed today

1 Like

His tackle on Brad Hill years ago is a thing of beauty

Just not sure he’s ever going to be a reliable shut down defender particularly on the bigger forwards. I’m never confident when he’s in a 1 on 1 that he can break even let alone win the ball & clear. He looks undersized & outclassed so gives away a lot of frees.

He struggles on guys with real big body one on one strength but is a gun against the likes of Reiwoldt and Tom lynch.

1 Like

I think Ambrose and Hartley when both at their best are a decent key defender combination, because you can get both of them an all right matchup most games. Ambrose on his own is going to get some bad matchups as the number one defender if we continue with Hurley as a break glass in case of emergency key defender.

I know back in the day Worsfold made do with Darren Glass plus whoever else wandered by, but still.

Harts at his best was a great compliment to Ambrose. We really need a very big bloke down back, I hope Harts can find his mojo.

If not, we are light on for a tall defender for mine.

1 Like

My worry is Ambrose played the same way he has for the last 2 games - That is bodying an opponent, blocking his opponent and restricting his opponent from getting his arms up to mark the ball - They were the softest of free kicks and one worries if this trend continues.

2 Likes

I’d like to see Ambrose trialled as a tagger.

I think he is the perfect player to go to a Kennedy or Martin.

He has the aerobic capacity to go with any midfielder. He won’t be bumped off or pushed off the ball. He hangs onto his tackles.

The only issue is he will get around 5 disposals a game, which is not like that isn’t happening already.

I’d just like to see how it would play out.

God no. He might be able to run for miles but he’s got terrible agility

2 Likes

I’ve been saying that (to ridicule) for a while now.

1 Like

People seem unable to let this idea go, despite all his flaws that would be exposed as a midfielder and the fact that he’s played his best football as a defender (which he’s still really finding his feet as)

2 Likes

He struggles for game sense as a defender as is. Would be completely lost in midfield.

2 Likes

We have to take Ambrose for what he is, and that is a very very good one on one and aerobic defender against the right opponent.

He is not suited to playing guys like Hawkins and Lynch etc, but how many defenders are?

He is best 22, and there is a match up for him in almost every team. I would have had him against Menzel before Hawkins on the weekend for eg.

Same goes for Hurley - he can’t match it with the big gorillas, and that is ok. That’s why Hartley needs to be in the team.

2 Likes

It’s a pity Hartley is completely average. He’s the exact size defender we need to be good though

4 Likes

This is a bit out of the box, but perhaps one of our forwards could go back, maybe Daniher, Stewart or Hooker…but I doubt any of them would make a good fullback…shame really!