#29 Patrick Ambrose -- forward or back?

Yep, good point. I missed that.

Hah. On the radio, Riewoldt put it to Hepp that Francis cost BJ his spot on the list. Hepp avoided the question and laughed. I reckon its pretty much correct.

1 Like

I agree. Iā€™d say the main advantage with Goddard was the leadership. Francis will pick it up in time.

Ambrose is pretty damn good at stopping his opponents kicking goals. Thatā€™s a good trait for a defender, Iā€™d have thought. His 2016 season was, to be frank, extraordinary, and I think gets a bit forgotten because of more recent perception on what he canā€™t do rather than what he did do.

Whether thatā€™s enough then depends on the setups and gamestyle around him. Hurls clearly has license to play off his man and get plenty of rebounding ball. Patty would probably need someone else to push back and be the ā€˜outletā€™ player instead. Do we as a side have the desire to run hard in defence?

Is he in my best 22 at full strength? Probably not. But Iā€™d be constantly wondering if I should be looking at ways to make use of a bloke who rarely gets outmarked even if heā€™s not marking it himself.

Patty isnā€™t a problem in terms of personnel. Heā€™d be invaluable to sides that arenā€™t trying to implement rapid slingshot play from deep inside defensive 50. He should also be more useful to us with our alleged focus on a more defensive setup. Which we have seen little evidence of so far.

10 Likes

I saw Francis organising the defence from very early in his time in the Essendon VFL circa 2016.
As we know he reads the play well, Thats why he is such a good intercept marker. But that also means he can do the ā€œGeneralā€ thing.

1 Like

I have heard people say that about him. Definitely the sort of player you want directing traffic.

Great tank, disciplined. However, not exceptionally tall or agile. Gives away cms to KPFs and canā€™t keep up with the smaller guys etc. Isnā€™t it great mark or kickā€¦ not sure a great attitude and tank might is enough for the AFL.

overrated

Is Francisā€™s finger as long as Goddardā€™s though?

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure itā€™s the length that matters so much as a good sense of direction, ā€¦

1 Like

Keep telling yourself that, pal

1 Like

I donā€™t get the point.

1 Like

General Francis on the march.

Jokes like this keep popping up in the digital ageā€¦

Whatā€™s your point?

images

Do you reckon that a ā€˜sirā€™ would sound very appropriate before Patrickā€™s name?
I do.

Well, letā€™s just say, as long as his replacement knuckles down weā€™ll be fine.

1 Like

Just cleared those 218 unread posts in 1 minute, does nothing for me

Nailed it.

1 Like