#29 Patrick Ambrose -- forward or back?

Pretty much.

It’s what Hartley did in 2017. It got Hurely another AA nod too.

1 Like

Well you’re saying Ambrose should be/will be dropped because he’s running out of credits due to poor performances.
By the same token you should believe that our midfielders, who were far worse on the weekend, are beginning to run out of credits.

1 Like

Yes and yes.

I think with all our players it’s whether they can perform on the big stage. Sunday was a big stage occasion. The final against Sydney was another big stage occasion. Anzac Day last year etc etc

Conceding 4 goals to player who is in the top ten key forwards in the competition in a 72 point loss is not good, but not a disgrace.

On the weekend I was amazed to see a 20 year old player easily push Hurls out of a marking contest,
especially after we were told Rutten was working with KPDs to improve skills in one on ones. We really only had 2 defenders that put heavy physical pressure on opposition forwards; Ambrose and Francis. The rest were just brushed aside.

In the new age of forward pressure,the opposition forwards are all being asked to put massive physical pressure on defenders: they don’t tend to concede, run away and flood back as soon as they lose possession anymore if they are anywhere near an opposition defender.

We don’t have enough defenders who can stand up to this and dish it out and our only hope of doing well is for the midfield to reduce the number of I50s against substantially, absolutely minimise our defensive half turnovers and improve our defensive structure or at least give them time to reset after rebounding.

For the above reason, I would try Ambrose before Hartley, Redman before either Gleeson or Ridley but in the end we do have to have the best balance of physicality, winning one on ones, intercept marking and rebounding and it will be some time before we get that mix optimised.

3 Likes

I have been critical, but he was really good today imo. I was impressed in a team full of non efforts

8 Likes

Can hold his head up high

He is the no frills defender - does his job - actually turns up and plays every week. Stood up a few times when the Aints were getting rough.

4 Likes

Was very solid today.

Taking marks over his head like they were going out of fashion.

5 Likes

Yep, thought he had a pretty good game. Took a few going back with the flight. Some really good spoils too

3 Likes

I am sorry but this guy can never play AFL again.

He is useless at every aspect of the game of football other than running.

2 Likes

He’s been ok defending.
That turnover was U10s stuff though (almost as bad as Saad’s missed bounce).

Is great as long as he doesn’t have to get rid of the ball…

Yeah, he may be hard, great endurance and win the odd 1v1. But he’s no good. He’s a VFL player

Hooker for him next week is the most obvious change in the history of our changes

2 Likes

Nah he’ll stay in for Francis who I reckon has done a hip flexor or adductor from watching him run and then come off for treatment.

Hope Hartley plays a cracker tomorrow

1 Like

Hipwood hasn’t got near it today.

Well done Ambrose.

15 Likes

Also smashed him after that McGrath tackle.

14 Likes

He has followed him everywhere he’s goes and has been roughing him up whenever he gets a chance.

1 Like

He hasn’t had a goal kicked on him since round 1.

He’s arguably in AA form.

13 Likes