#3 Darcy "Darcy Parish" Parish - Shiel can play forward pocket instead

Yep, sort of reminds me of Jimmy Bartel in his early years where he was a gun but overshadowed by others and only got recognition from the broader public later.

will get brownlow votes for that game

just kept on presenting and presenting.

thought he looked cooked by half time but just did not stop for the whole match, stanton like.

Kicking was a bit off in the first half but ■■■■■■ hell he goes well. Gun.

To spoil rioli and to then have the composure to get the ball and lower the eyes and hit a team mate. Wow.

3 Likes

This guy can really play, was immense in the final quarter.

1 Like

thats exactly what I thought, senior defenders would a) shit themselves as soon as they see the ball about to land in riolis hands, and then b) once the ball is in his hands, just give up

thought it showed great composure that he was able to keep his nerve, manoeuvre over rioli, collect the loose ball and spear a pass all in the same passage of play

There is an Itchy & Scratchy episode, where Itchy stabs Scratchy once with a small pin-like weapon. Scratchy just laughs at how small the wound is.

Then Itchy stabs 50 more times, and the blood loss becomes so extensive that Scratchy is now fainting.

That is how I view Darcy Parish’s game style. He doesn’t deliver a knock-out punch (I hope he can develop this, with more penetrating kicking, more goals), but he delivers quick jabs and stabs that wear down the opposition.

2 Likes

Holy hell, what a gun he is. Has picked up from last year like it is nothing and looks to have taken another step. Can only improve with the quality of those around him. Scary prospects for the opposition coaches. He is just everywhere on the field and runs all day.

7 inside 50’s for Darce, equal highest with Zerrett. BJ had 6. These are the guys you want delivering the ball inside 50 with their penetrating kicks and great vision.

6 tackles, only behind Watson, 8 and Heppell with 7, he is a terrier at the contest and keeps his feet really well. Another couple of years in the gym and he is going to be a beast.

The thought of Parish, Zerrett, Heppell, Fanta, Walla rotating through the middle and forward makes me very happy.

3 Likes

Geez he plays like Ben Cousins.

So impressed.

2 Likes

He reads the play so well, just drifts into the centre at the right moment and launches the team.

while not an elite kick is always damaging.

1 Like

Will be just as good as if not better than ZMerrett. Called it the other week.

I can’t believe he only had 25 touches. I swear he had more.

Scary to think he’s only 19. Imagine how good he’ll be in the future. So happy Melbourne chose Clayton Oliver at pick 4.

1 Like

Darcy was one of the prime movers out of the centre with clean clearances and a major contributor to that second half effort from the team.

He and Heppell lifting in the second half helped us swamp the Hawks immensely.

Those two were an sensational double act to which Hawthorn had no answer to when we got on a roll.

Easy now. Clayton Oliver already looks well on his way to being a superstar.

That said, stoked with Parish. He complements Zach and Heppell perfectly. Those 3 will make a gun midfield for many years (and add McGrath!)

4 Likes

Ummm, can we get this guy signed up? I need peace of mind.

Not saying Oliver won’t be good. Just think in the long run, it will benefit us more having chosen Parish. At the time, he was the one most fans wanted, and I’m just happy he was available for us.

They’re both looking to be future stars of the competition.

1 Like

Oliver’s stats today

36 possessions (14 contested) and a game-high nine clearances and eight tackles

Both are guns.

*was vs the aints tho so who knows

yeah, me too. I would have expected to see about 30 possessions next to his name. I think it might be because so many of his possessions were out in space, and less of those close in ones that can go unnoticed. But gee he found a lot of space, super impressive

I think it’s wonderful for his deveopment to be played more outside this year, will become such a complete midfielder over the next few years. 100% midfield gun.

Scrappy, Yappy, & Snappy.

1 Like