#3 Darcy "Darcy Parish" Parish - Shiel can play forward pocket instead

As I’ve already stated, I think his numbers are very good over his first 2 years. I would like his disposals average to be 24 or higher this year with his disposals being more damaging than previous years

1 Like

I agree, 25 and over would be good progression.

But his possessions really need to be more damaging.

There’s some fantastic backtracking here by Killer Mike

How am I backtracking?

I clearly stated that Parish doesn’t get the level of scrutiny that other players get comparative to performance and expectation.

Nobody has said anything that has changed my views.

Just a lot of people saying he’s tracking ok and some acknowledgement that he’s just solid.

He’s a high draft pick and needs to have more influence on games.

I don’t think what I am saying is that outlandish to be honest.

It’s not like I’m saying that I want Joe dropped back to the VFL or anything.

I agree with the notion that he projects as a solid midfield contributor for 200 games rather than a super damaging, game changing, elite midfielder with penetrating disposal.

Bottom line is for us to progress and to beat seasoned, hardened teams at the pointy end of the season we need 1-2 more dynamic, ball winning midfielders with good stoppage craft around what we already have.

2 Likes

Yep.

Everyone is screaming out for improvement and the question I asked is where is it coming from.

For me Parish isn’t going to be that player and being a high pick we needed to nail it.

Granted there is not many other players looking like stars from that draft.

McGrath is looking the goods but we really need one or two more.

Begley needs to be given more responsibility in my book to see how fast he can progress.

Other than that it’s unlikely we have the players on our current list.

What’s the frame of reference? From round 1, or from 2017?

Either way, we’ve had a fairly major midfield overhaul (Watson Stanton Hocking Bird > Langford String Smith McGrath). Much lighter on contested mids, much more agile, better disposal, light years ahead defensively. But a zillion games less experience. Will allow us to actually compete against modern midfeild gameplans, all won and lost on the turnover. Stringer will get better. McGrath will get better. Langford hopefully finds consistency.

The big one: the teamwork will improve as they play together.

Stanton, Hocking and Bird hardly played last year so I wouldn’t include them. And Jobe was a shadow of the player he was.

I’m comfortable with the additions of Stringer and Smith and Langford needs to be played the whole year but I have little confidence that he will be there even next round.

I’m comfortable with our young mids but they will take time. I still think we need a couple to step up to be a-grade though.

Just let it go killer.

1 Like

i’d be interested to see the stats ( if available) on who passes to who. cos i reckon the old guard prefer each other more often than not.

I get it he’s your boy😊

He’s really not but I just loathe to see a potential witch hunt started on someone who is legitimately contributing, and is one of our more consistent young mids thus far.

Go watch the EF again. He is good.

2 Likes

Can you recommend another player then?

This gloomer thing is actually quite fun😊

Four picks inside the first 2 rounds, and you have a problem with the only pick we didn’t fark up?

6 Likes

Fair enough.

I hope he kicks on because we need him too.

Should be pretty easy to pick given Goddard and Zaha are the only two of the old guard left.

One thing that drafts have an abundance of is mids.

It should be easier to nail.

I’d add hepp, been a mainstay of the midfield every year except his first. but old guard is probably a wrong title for 'those that got banned + zaka"

(Plus Goddard)
That’s 3 guys.

The first 5 or 10 things you whinge about after a loss are fine. It’s when you hit the twenties you really start reaching

1 Like