#3 Darcy "Darcy Parish" Parish - Shiel can play forward pocket instead

It’s now good that a typical Darcy Parish game is what he produced last night. Solid 21 disposals and a goal. Continuing his rich vein of form.

3 Likes

On the rise!

I did see him stuck on the flank a bit more than I would have liked last night. I loved whenever he was in the middle, he’s becoming pure class and really learning to not rush himself. He’s been excellent in recent weeks.

1 Like

Loving Darce’s work rate lately, but he gets burned by his teammates way too often. He runs and makes himself an option all the time but they always seem to be too slow to pick him off.

4 Likes

yeah he was in the forward line a lot more often tonight than recent weeks,

probably because of Shiels return.

I wish we would stop putting stringer, raz and tippa in the centre.

Just use the best mids we have in there.

It seems like he is really starting to believe that he belongs, that the coaches trust him, and that he can trust himself.

you know how some players slow down time?

darcy seems to move faster than time.

1 Like

He’s starting to scoop the ball up like Walla now. Very clean. Awesome watching his break out season unfold.

1 Like

I’ll admit, I thought Parish was a bit ‘meh’ until this year. Always thought he had great hands but nothing else that was elite. Not sure how he stacks up against the best in terms of kms covered, kicking efficiency, clearances etc. but those hands? Fark me he’s an exceptional distributor by hand… and no slouch by foot… kicking at goal too seems to have improved.

I dont mind tucking into some more of that humble pie if his form continues

5 Likes

Another excellent game from Darcy. Is so creative in close. Also slotted a goal when all around were missing.

Really enjoyed watching him over the past few weeks.

1 Like

He should be on a $700K pa contract, but only $600k if he goes left-foot crossfield.

There is a clear midfield strategy to not leave any one player on the ball for an extended time. I also think Parish is the player who is best suited to playing maximum midfield minutes, but the overall strategy of rolling half a dozen or more through there is a working well and gives us a bit of a point of difference to other midfielder units.

Stringer IS the best mid we have in there. Just isn’t fit enough to stay in there. But agree we need to keep putting Darc in there more often also.

There is literally no evidence to back that claim up other than what the club wants him to be.

Shiel is by far and away our best clearance player,
followed by hep and Zerett.

don’t even get me started on tippa and raz,
I understand we want them in there for pace and pressure but even at the game on the weekend when tippa was in the centre it was abundantly clear he does not have the experience to be in there.

I don’t know why some people think you can just chuck anyone on the ball.
Centre bounce knowledge and skill is a craft that you develop over time.

1 Like

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/essendon/inform-midfielder-darcy-parish-keen-to-ink-new-deal-to-remain-at-essendon/news-story/344876ed2b139354532c449bec347ede

Out-of-contract Essendon midfielder Darcy Parish has declared himself ‘red and black’, saying he wants to remain a part of the club deep into the future.

A host of rival AFL clubs, including Geelong, were circling the 21-year-old after he was left out of the Bombers’ Round 1 side, eager to chase the 2015 No. 5 national draft selection.

Their interest has been further franked by a clutch of good form in recent weeks as Parish has bedded down a more permanent role in the midfield, but he says has no intention of leaving the Bombers at the end of the season.

“I love it here,” Parish said ahead of tonight’s must-win clash with Hawthorn at Marvel Stadium. “I absolutely love the joint … I’m red and black.”

“I have got great relationships with everyone at the club — the players, the coaches and even the staff. I’ve really enjoyed my time here and I’ve learnt so much from the relationships I’ve been able to build.”

9 Likes

You know what though, I kinda don’t think you were all that far wrong.

He’s smallish, reasonable pace, a decent kick, but great hands, (etc etc) but really he is only as good as he is because he’s very creative at using what he’s got. Just a smart footballer.

Last time I was this excited about a midfielder was in 2014 when Zac made his debut. The way Darc has developed both as a player and in physic has been super impressive. Kelly thinks Darc will be a star of the comp. Gee, after years of supporter angst, Essendon have finally addressed a major deficiency and have some very impressive midfield depth.

2 Likes

Loving that he seems to have cemented himself in the team.
I still consider him one of our young developing players like Langford and Laverde, Clarke, Guelfi, Begley, etc, but he’s definitely at the mature end of that spectrum.
He’s really intense and focused, I wouldn’t be surprised if he took over from Heppel as Captain in a few years.

Ive noticed that too.
Not a bad strategy , as you need to give the main guys a rest at some point.
But i do think you also need to have your better actual midfielders in there more, and only rotate them if tgey arent performing or are getting beaten.

Also think players who are better/smarter as forwards should be rotated down there more , zaka and zerrett being the 2.

Yeah i was pretty happy to hear that kelly said that because of his reputation and the gun mids he would have been around at geelong. Parish main improvement is his kicking, its improved immensely this year. Same with McGrath actually, his kicking has also gotten better.

1 Like