#3 Darcy "Darcy Parish" Parish - Shiel can play forward pocket instead

Really happy with Darc … little wonder the Dees were keen on Oliver. Into his second season and he’s already producing Dangerfield numbers. Just amazing what he’s doing at the moment

Yep. He is a freak. Will be a top 10 player in the comp in a couple of years.

In recent times, you’d struggle to see our colours on any positive marketing.

1 Like

I think he is due for a big one. With all the attention on Zach, Hep and Jobe, Parish is going to destroy a team soon

1 Like

I want him to mouth off more.

8 Likes

Pretty remarkable body transformation from Oliver over one preseason. Would love to see Francis do that next preseason. The kid is an animal.

They limited his game time a bit a Saturday, May have been a bit sore after round 1.

Kicked over the heads of his target a few times but the line seemed good. Just needs to take a bit off it.

Developing beautifully

His kicking has been pretty bad to be honest, between him and Watson in the first 2 rounds every time they go to kick it I’m on the edge of my seat. He really needs to clean that up, otherwise one of my favorite players and I’d like to see him in at the centre bounce more.

one of the players with the most upside I reckon. His speed and clean hands in congestion are things that can’t be taught. He’s still quite slight but is still quite a presence and not easy to knock over/ get rid of. A few more kgs and he’ll be a force to reckon with. He’ll be bursting out of packs regularly and the forwards will be salivating on the delivery.
If he can develop the tank as well - then wow- we really have something special for years to come.

1 Like

Hmmm not sure about that, Hepp was insta good.

Although I remember how painful it was seeing him chase after forwards when he played HB.

No doubt about Hepp but Darcy was legitimately our number 2-3 biggest midfield threat last year and thrived. He was asked to do a lot more than Hepp ever was.

It’s basically like comparing McGrath to Darcy. McGrath is going to benefit immensely while going along for the ride. He isn’t a prime mover. If he happens to make himself a prime mover then awesome. But he isn’t forced to be. Neither was Hepp.

2 Likes

Darcy’s first season and first 2 games of his 2nd season resemble Joel Selwood’s very much so.

Will be the equivalent of Selwood in no time.

Star.

1 Like

i remember him having some massive clearances and a big tackle on the wing

Parish will benefit more than anyone having a good tap ruckman back in the team.

2 Likes

His ceiling is higher than Oliver’s and McGrath imo. One of the best top 5 young midfield prospects in the league. Purest out and out midfielder we have drafted in ages. He’s fast, agile, skilled and can do everything as a pure rover. Right now his body isn’t to the level to let him dominate but he’s not far off.

Reminds me a lot of Judd just minus the strength element which he will build on.

2 Likes

I’m a big fan of Darce, but the Judd comparison is way off. He’s probably slower than the average midfielder. Luckily he makes up for it with clean hands and quick decision making. I think Oliver’s scope is probably higher than Parish’s to be honest. Melbourne supporters I know think he has already gone past the likes of Viney, Jones and Tyson, and from what I’ve seen of him this year, I tend to agree. Oliver’s brute physical strength and ability to impose himself on the game is something special. Parish is clinical and a natural footballer, but he will never have the physical tools that some like Oliver, Dangerfield and Fyfe have. I think McGrath will end up a better footballer than Parish due to his natural strength and ability to break away from congestion.

6 Likes

Oliver is a hack kick forward and a turnover rmerchant. Typical Melbourne midfielder. Parish is much better value for his team.

1 Like

If we want to compare the draft merits of Oliver to Parish, we actually have to do the Oliver/Weideman vs Parish/Francis comparison. The way I remember it, Melbourne traded up their picks to number 3 to get Oliver, but gave up a shot at the double we took. They would say Weideman was always their second target, but I’m not sure they would have taken him if Francis was still on the table. Therefore I think the comparison has to be between the two pairs. If we do that, then I’m extra happy with our result despite admiring Oliver the player.

I thought Francis was taken with the pick we got from St Kilda for Carlisle?

2 Likes

Oliver will be All-Australian if he continues his current form. He is leading the league for effective disposals with an average of 30 per game (from 35 possessions per game). Pretty good for a turnover merchant.

7 Likes