#3 Darcy "Darcy Parish" Parish - Shiel can play forward pocket instead

They dont keep stats for shanks, but they do for clangers, Dean Solomon holds the club record with 84 in a season .
Interestingly, James Kelly lead the clanger count last year with 68, followed by Joey on 66.

I once ate 4 and thought O was going to explode. 17 would boonie level.

1 Like

if they kick it to the opposition i dont think it counts as metres gained

If you kick it 50 metres downfield and the opposition grab it and boot it back 10 metres beyond you, you are not credited with -10 metres, they give you a figure of +50. Itā€™s ludicrous. Means 9/10ths of fark all.

1 Like

Why? Heā€™s not a tractor.

yeah sounds like it

Personally think the club has a bright future with this lad in the team. Can go in and get the ball, relishes the contest, good disposal. At the moment he gets the opportunity to learn from some of the best.

1 Like

Because heā€™s an excellent reader of the play and not big enough at this point to just bulldoze his way through to get the ball.

yet he still does and gets away with the ball more often than not, love his endeavor

got a few beasts for the contest on the team now, good times.

:weary:

I expect next year for him to be a hybrid

Jobes hands and clearance work
BJs agression
Stants endurance
Zerretts tackling and ability to get the easy ball
Heppells will to get to each contest
Fantasias goal smarts

Hes got a bit of most of those already

1 Like

I expected him to be good but I never knew he was going to be this toughā€¦ fcking hard unit.

2 Likes

Him and Francis were the 2 that l most wanted us to draft, although l canā€™t explain why. Everything he said and did spoke of football class.

3 Likes

Iā€™m sure that will be the case. I havenā€™t seen Weideman play but I was just making the point that Melbourne made a move to get Oliver that could have cost them a combo of players that may turn out to be better value. I think that drafting assessment needs to be looked at across all the decisions made in the pre-draft and actual draft.

Both players look the goods mate. They have done very well, but so did we.

2 Likes

Thank god we picked Parish, this Oliver sounds like a real spud! There is no way he could improve his disposal either, cause heā€™s getting old and obviously has no desire to improve.

2 Likes

All opposition players are spuds and/or have serious flaws in their football or personalities (at least until they come to Essendon - hello the Corgi)

But to get this thread back to Darcy, the player he reminds me of most is Daisy Williams.
Guts, skill, football nous and attitude.
Made all the players around him better, and if Darcy can continue in this vein I will be very, very happy.

True, not sure why we are comparing the two players when we didnā€™t have a choice of picking Oliver or Parish. Itā€™s Melbourne with the pressure of getting scrutinized if they choose the wrong player. Also it is a little unfair on comparing Parish to Oliver as Oliver has the more mature big body which could impact games early on (this is why Melbourne scrambled to pick him, to have an instant impact). By the look of things, Oliver has been given much more responsibility in the middle whereas Darcy is quietly being looked after by not exposing him too much like last year. Darcy still has a bit size to put on to compete effectively in the middle. Mind you Darcy is exceeding expectations in the way he is going about it. Heā€™s probably my favourite out of the young blokes. Lock him away with a 5 year deal!

3 Likes

It not the be all and end all, but I think it has a place. certainly some of the more damaging players in form tend to have higher numbers.

But it needs to be coupled with clangers turnovers and efficiency to be any real relevance.

Iā€™m sure somebody in the stats game has worked out some meaningful metrics. There is some decent stuff floating around now.

Comparison is the thief of joy

Parish is a jet, be happy with that

4 Likes