#3 Darcy "Darcy Parish" Parish - Shiel can play forward pocket instead

Having looked at Zach’s career he played the first 2 games of the 2014 season - and then didnt play again till round 6. That’d be the 3 games… so assuming he did play them in the VFL.

Oh, and forgot McGrath obviously.

Amazing effort by Heppell really.

Just cos.

1 Like

The great Josh Green.

1 Like

I can’t help but think Howlett must have some compromising photos in his possession.

Howlett was better than Myers last week IMO.

3 Likes

I thought they were both poor.

I don’t disagree, Howlett did some good and some bad; can’t say the same for Myers.

1 Like

C’mon, what about the blocks and shepherds? I mean, I didn’t see them, but he has a big body so he must of.

1 Like

Parish should get 30+ in the VFL and dominate.

1 Like

Good chance he will just play limited time to make sure he is right to go in the seniors

Zach played 3 in 2014.
McGrath hasn’t played VFL

What about Hurls?

In a round about way, once Walla was on the EFC AFL list he hasn’t played VFL.

I suppose you are only talking about junior players, not players like Goddard and Kelly.

Hurls debuted in round 1 then promptly got injured. Think he may have played 1 or 2 in the vfl become coming back into the seniors in about round 15.

Ablett played as a half forward for his early career did he not?

Oliver is good but his disposal isn’t overly damaging and he hardly kicks, best in his craft class? Very possible, GOAT or anything on Ablett? Not even close

Yes, you are correct. Darcy is actually mirroring the early footy career of GAJ, whereas Oliver has been thrown into the thick of it from the get go, like some kid thats been sent down the mine.

Well, even Goddard and Kelly.

Kelly definitely would have played VFL for Geelong. Goddard i’m unsure about.

Club suspension too

We’re not exactly flushed for depth at the moment. If you’ve got a 20y/o star in the making, you don’t waste his and our time in the twos. Should’ve been straight in!
I reckon he would’ve been flat about it the kid.

Calf injuries are dicey. Much like quads.

The Swans game is going to be super intensity so frankly easing Parish through a VFL game at lesser intensity and managing his loading smart.

I’d rather Darce play 3Q for VFL and be cherry ripe for following weeks than come in and potentially reinjure it having to run himself off his legs vs Swans first game back.

The notion that VFL is some kind of punishment and the players see it that way is ridiculous.

Howletts 15-20 possessions might not be as damaging as Parish’s but he will still give 110% and put his body on line in what will be a very contested ball game that Bobcat thrives in.

12 Likes

My first inclination was to agree with @choppsuey but @Speedy_Gonzales makes a couple of sage points.

I actually think it is important this year that playing in the VFL not be seen as a punishment, but more a melting pot where players go to improve either physically or skills wise and for the older players to share their knowledge and skills and whoever can serve the club best gets selection, but what everybody is doing is valued.

The attitude that the VFL is used as a punishment, is born out of the fact that everyone should strive to be in the best 22, but if you are a genuine team player you would see a role in helping create the best 44 so EFC can be the best team it can be. It should also be seen as a melting pot for developing coaching skills in the older players, given that many of them will have a coaching role at some level after their AFL careers and people skills and being concerned with the betterment of others in general will be of benefit to their life after football.

It is hard seeing a player like Stants in the twos though, but if he can help the younger mids with their craft that will be good for everyone. We shouldn’t think anyone is too good for the VFL, whatever is best for their body, their skills and the side should be all that matters.

2 Likes