#3 Darcy "Darcy Parish" Parish - Shiel can play forward pocket instead

I don’t see it as punishment, was more a reference to the kids hunger and competitiveness to not be playing 2nds.

Fair enough if he plays maybe 3/4qtrs and they’re managing his loads, but if he plays a full game I reckon it’s garbage. He’s missed 2 games of footy and participated in full training for 2 weeks, that’s not the sort of break that suggests to me he’d need time in the magoos to regain fitness. If he’s fit enough to play a full game then he’s straight into the ones for mine.

Fair enough, as I said I’m inclined to agree, but I don’t mind the idea of easing his body back into it, I think he may have been playing a little below his peak form for a while, and he probably has been punishing himself with a massive training load, so giving him a chance to get cherry ripe could be a good thing.

I was also hinting that it will probably good for the senior players morale who are playing in the VFL if the younger players aren’t seen as automatically too good for the VFL (mind you if he was leaving a massive hole in the side he should come straight in, eg. a player like JD, Zerrett and Hurls ), it is a fine line, but if it is better for his form and body I am in favour of a game in the VFL for Darcy.

1 Like

Its probably a combination of the loading issue, and a conservative approach to the calf. Fcs, look at what a chronic calf issue has done to Deledio, but just maybe Darce will get a sustained run as an inside mid which he has not been doing at AFL level. It ought to be possible to work which it is when /if he takes the field for the 2s.

As to playing him in the VFL, Parish is definitely AFL best 22, and sure an occasional game in the VFL will not hurt. I dont think anyone expects he will play for extended period in the VFL, because that might just morph him from an AFL player into a VFL player.

It may just be that with Langers fully schooled and ready to put what he’s learnt into action in the ones,.that a spot has opened up for Darcy to do some similar work on his “midding” in the ressies for the next couple of weeks, while Benny gets his chance to get up to speed at AFL level to see if he can reproduce what he was doing so well in the VFL.

If he plays a full game in the VFL as an inside mid then i’m all for the move back to the VFL for maybe 1 or 2 weeks.

Could be. I noticed the way they play the mids in the VFL, the mids get much longer stints on the inside, and they thus get much more of a chance to hone their skills.

A bizarre decision for Parish to return through the VFL. Was in good form before his 2 week injury. Lots of crap about loading, up to the speed etc. You play if you are in form.

2 Likes

Struts around the VFL like the other team isn’t even good enough to lick his boots. And ■■■■■■■ backs it up.

Mind ■■■■■■ the ■■■■ out of the williamstown midfield.

4 Likes

I think there is method in their madness. Who else will be dropped out of the firsts into the VFL?

HOWLETT

needed him last night.

I think Worsfold was protecting Parish:

• coming back from a calf injury which he hadn’t previously had
  • flying to play, at night, against the team with the biggest, hardest bodied midfield in the comp.

Makes perfect sense to leave a hard-bodied Howlett in against Sydney in Sydney rather than throw a slender Parish to wolves first game back from an injury.

3 Likes

Didn’t he have an extra week because of the bye?

Yep. 2 weeks in full training. Predictably took the ■■■■ in the VFL. Mistake not selecting for Sydney IMO.

4 Likes

Yeah. Leave the better player because of some nebulous concept about hardness.[quote=“BakerWasAStar, post:3059, topic:2439, full:true”]
I think Worsfold was protecting Parish:

• coming back from a calf injury which he hadn’t previously had
  • flying to play, at night, against the team with the biggest, hardest bodied midfield in the comp.

Makes perfect sense to leave a hard-bodied Howlett in against Sydney in Sydney rather than throw a slender Parish to wolves first game back from an injury.
[/quote]

1 Like

We are a much better side with him in.
And we have him (I hope) for years!!!

1 Like

Should’ve won anyway.

Great to hear he played well today.

Oliver takes a powder puff elbow on the jaw at half time and goes down like a sack of ■■■■■. Melbourne gets around him like he’s hero.
We got the right man.

6 Likes

Spot on, glad that flog didn’t get to us

Can we ban this Oliver talk in the Parish thread. We never could have got him. He’s a ■■■■■■■ unbelievable player putting together one of greatest 2nd years of football we’ve seen in a long time…plus he’s got red hair, something that would be cherished if he was one of our own.

6 Likes