#3 Darcy "Darcy Parish" Parish - Shiel can play forward pocket instead

Melbourne didn’t even want Oliver that much. They bid on Mills first.

Bit worried about him not signing yet to be honest. Is he managed by Paul Connors? Seems to be his favorite tactic.

1 Like

Yeah, nah. She’s all good.

Joe just signed so I’m pretty confident the Darcy will sign soon.

They will most likely announce it when he’s back in the seniors.

fixed

4 Likes

Both great players

Don’t be.

7 Likes

I’m not worried about him not signing, but I do have a feeling we’re gonna be coughing up some serious coin for the kid (relative to what a 2nd year player might usually command)…

I would be hesitant in being bent over a barrel for him.

He’s a fine young player but I think he will be more of a role player rather than a star.

His value in my opinion should be relative to his output and also his potential.

Obviously a lot will depend on our pay structure and who we may potentially target as free agent at years end.

1 Like

I understand your concerns however in my opinion I think this year has been a consolidation year for Darcy, he hasn’t been spectacular but had a very solid season finding his feet with all the returning players in the side. We have seen him play much more of an outside mid role this year as opposed to more inside last year. The fact he can do both so well is a credit to him and I have no doubt next year we will see him in full flight at his peak and it will be absolute star quality, not just role player quality.

3 Likes

This is blasphemy I know but I’m not as in love with him as everybody else seems to be. Don’t get me wrong he’s good young player and easily in our best side - I’m sure he’ll be back this week. I just don’t ever see him being an All Australian level player. He’s obviously small and very inconsistent by foot. I reckon he will improve greatly with his disposal and probably turn into a 25-27 possession a game player in time. I just don’t think he’s earned a 4 year 500k deal or anything just yet.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m not concerned.

Like you say he has had a different role this year and has done a solid job.

I personally believe he will do his best work as an inside mid but as you say he can still work on the outside.

I feel he doesn’t have a great deal of hurt factor so for me he’s never going to take a game by the scruff of the neck like some others can and that to me will ultimately dictate his worth. I think he’s going to play a lot of footy at a very high level but just not in that top 5%-10% range of players. McGrath on the other hand I believe can be a top 20 player.

1 Like

I dont think we can ban talk of Oliver in this thread. During the leadup to the draft, there was a huge amount of interest and discussion about the choice of Oliver or Parish so it remains an area of interest, even though the selection cannot be changed.

Darcy has been playing solidly all year but his improvement has slowed down recently and that is probably because he is spending a lot less time as a mid. Thats probably the difference between where Oliver and Parish are at right now.

1 Like

I agree his inside mid work is his best trait and it is here that we will see his most influence on games with vision and clearing handballs. I think he is already elite in this regard, just needs to be given free reign in the middle which will come next year.

1 Like

Half the comp hasn’t re-signed. Calm your farms

If JD only getting $750k then others are not going to be getting over paid against whatever scaling system the club using.

Yeah, I watched him earlier in the year quite closely when he was seeing more time at clearances.

His reading the fall of the ball from the tap is second to none and he hits it in motion so that he can get a quick handball away without getting tackled. He is in my opinion going to be a weapon around stoppages.

When Jobe and co. were struggling early I was hoping he would be given more time at stoppages but as you say he’s been developing his outside game. He’s definitely going to be very good player.

2 Likes

Yep this is his biggest weapon. He’s not going to be an outside weapon, that’s Zerret.

2 Likes

Maybe thats why they are giving him time on the outside, to develop that area of his game and make him a more “complete” player.

If this kid was a share, I’d give him the biggest buy recommendation I could.

Going to light the competition up in 2018. Why? Simply because they’ll play him in the middle where he belongs.

4 Likes

Agreed. But i think he should be in the contested stuff more this year. Thrives in it. I think his game is so balanced he’ll improve holistically playing in his main strength area as opposed to an outside/HFF.