#3 Darcy "Darcy Parish" Parish - Shiel can play forward pocket instead

Maybe the sponsor is behind on paying its bill! EFC “were not showing your logo until you pay!”

Darce has not been used to best advantage. He is better inside, or on the the ball. He wins his own ball better than a hff. He needs to get more time. as a mid. Now.

5 Likes

cue darli to defending ‘developing his game’.

Cue me.
As I’ve posted before, and maybe because I’m a Darcy tragic, this IS developing his game.
No one - coaches, Darc, most Blitzers, expects anything other than a mid field role next year.
But I want an inside mid who can kick, float forward, and run rings around tags. All those extra strings he’s developing.
IE to be one of our great midfielders.

What is it with all this impatient NOW stuff these days?
Good thing you weren’t on Gary O’Donnells bandwagon - the wait would have killed you

9 Likes

Darcy being full time mid allows for someone else to be developing in this HFF role (Begley/lav/lang). and significantly improves our midfield. He can do 20% game time forward or whatever but he should at least be majority in the midfield.

3 Likes

That’s fine except he hasn’t been playing HFF- he’s been played as an outside mid with an attacking focus (and 20 percent genuine HFF)
Begley is maybe the only understudy for this role at the moment, and he’s still developing a consistent involvement in play rather than flashes of talent.
In some ways it’s been the traditional Zaharakis role, with Zaka playing more defensively as a sweeping outside mid behind the ball.

1 Like

Developing his outside/forward craft only assists us going forward.

Rotations are a big part of the game and its only going to get bigger. Woosha is clearly developing all the smaller guys in multiple positions because his gameplan demands it.

All of Walla, Fantasia, Zaka, Green, Parish, Merrett, Goddard, Langford and Heppell all rotate through different roles.

You only have to look at our defenders now to see that everyone is expected to do more than the primary function of the role.

The days of traditional roles left football a decade ago.

2 Likes

Unless you want him broken you don’t play him as an inside mid at his current size. He’s been playing in the right position at the moment.

Thats just stupid.

he played mid last season.

hes too good to be a 1 dimensional (inside) mid.

1 Like

Who you squeezing out of the midfield for him?
Personally, I’m pretty pleased he’s spending time on the flank developing his outside game. I see huge upside in that and when he eventually does switch back into the midfield I’m very much looking forward to what we’re going to see as a result. He’ll be the complete package if he can really bring up his outside game.

1 Like

Finally got to watch a replay of the North game. Parish was fantastic - just so clean and decisive, not sure he got as much recognition as he should have for his game. Also noticed him standing next to Zaharakis and he has a cm or two on him height-wise which is interesting - I wonder whether he has grown since coming to the club.

3 Likes

I’m in favour of playing blokes where they play their best footy, suprisingly. Get him in the guts

I’m sure franklin could probably play midfield, and “Develop his game” too

1 Like

No offence but this is a ridiculous analogy.
Playing Parish on a HFF helps to develop his outside game which will make him a more rounded and complete midfielder capable of winning his own ball in tight but also damaging the opposition with run and spread away from the stoppage. It contributes to him being a better midfielder.

4 Likes

And it’s fundamental to our gameplan that he can rotate through the forward half as well as play midfield.

3 Likes

Do you have the stats on how much mid time he had last year as opposed to what he plays now?

Genuine question because i see a lot of that but I don’t remember that being the case myself.

I agree and in the last quarter he was a key part of the midfield that smashed the Norf mids. Darcy was ranked in our top 5 players for the North game. He had 12 contested and 6 clearances on 74% time on ground. He had 3 goal assists and kicked a goal.

He’s coming along beautifully. Will get bigger and better and will play more time in the midfield accordingly.

So shut yer clams, you lot.

7 Likes

Just to cheer myself up on a gloomy day I watched the second half of the Pies game, he was very good as was Hepp who, if I remember was getting hammered by Blitz quite a bit around that period. They were something else with the quick hands, and Jobe’s in and under was mad. When our midfield fires they’re not shabby.

Fundamental to all game plans. You really need to be able to play multiple positions these days if your a mid.

1 Like

Not on blitz, see the reaction any time Myers is in the defensive half.