#3 Darcy "Darcy Parish" Parish - Shiel can play forward pocket instead

I hope could also become a good aerialist like parker is

I sooooo love the end of this: ā€œwhoā€™s this piece of trash coming my way?ā€

13 Likes

Maybe - but Luke is a far superior player to Darcy atm.

Hereā€™s hoping he can become something like him.

Agree

Agree with BBB. Darcy is a key for us in 2018

Darcy is in our top 3 clearance and contested possession players going forward. Thats a 20 year old 180 cm kid. Is that a credit to Darcy, or indicative of the paucity of this style of player at the club ?

Jobe was way below his best in 2017, but he was still top 2 in clearances and contested play in a year when we played final(s).

Darcy simply must play either as an inside mid, or on the bench in 2018. we dont need him playing in the forward line, we need him to help fill the massive hole left in the middle by Jobes retirement.

Darcy will become a core mid for us. I hope he plays in the middle ahead of Stringer and Smith as he will be better than them in their. When left in the midfield in 2016 in his first year he handled the rough and tumble just fine over a whole season. He is stronger now and will blossom this year now the older players have moved on.

Our core midfield going forward should be: Heppell, Merrett, Parish and McGrath. Others can rotate through but its with these guys for mine.

1 Like

Ya gotta have zaka in there. Last year was almost better than his bnf year imo

5 Likes

I agree with you WOB, I thought that Zaka really came good. I was pleased because after the first couple of games I thought that he was trade bait, that the change of club might work for both parties. Glad he proved me wrong.

we need Parish to be the best all round footballer he can beā€¦ that means developing the areas of his game that arenā€™t that strong as well using his obvious strengths. The year on the half forward line will be invaluable for his development.

Iā€™d like to know stats on how many centre bounces he attended or see a map of his 2016 possessions versus his 2017 possessions.
Some people talk like he played heaps of midfield in 2016. Iā€™m convinced he played more this year. Itā€™s just easier to remember from 2016 because when he was in there he stood out more

He was definitely not used in centre bounces as often as 2016.

I donā€™t know how to find the heat map and I canā€™t find an exact number on how many centre bounces he started in but I can tell you he had 19 centre bounce clearances in 2017 compared to 27 in 2016 which is fairly significant and would indicate he was not in there as often.

He was also forced to do a lot more in his first year at centre bounces due to the chook farm midfield we ran. He was always gonna spend less time with Heppell, Watson and Myers coming back.

I think youā€™ll see him play a lot more through the guts next season though.

2 Likes

I have been watching the season and he seemed to be playing a lot across the halfback area as a target to deliver the ball forward, perhaps he was being coached in defensive tactics.

I agree with this. I also think he was given a couple of run with roles to give him experience on what it takes to be an elite player.

My favourite player except Conor.

Maybe. Mids run 12-14 km in a game. eg. Zaka plays as an outside mid, right?
Just check how often he runs down to the back pocket to mark kickins. High half forwards regularly run to the HBF to get involved in chains coming out of defence. Darcy played both roles at times.

Iā€™m hoping for big things from him. Working on his endurance must benefit him greatly, but quite apart from that heā€™s put some real beef on his upper body. I think we noticed him more in 2016 because it was his first year and he surprised us from game 1. In 2017 he seemed to start a bit slowly, but he soon picked up and was one of the players who really stood up all year, even when we were getting beaten.

If he improves again this year heā€™ll be approaching top level.

He didnā€™t completely ā– ā– ā– ā–  his daks under any high balls, which was a big improvement.

?

Strange post. Canā€™t recall this being an issue in 2016.

8 Likes

Iā€™m nervous about him.
Iā€™m sure he played the role(s) he was given in 2017, but he showed very, very few of the glimpses that made me think he could be an absolute gun in 2016.
Whether thatā€™s down to the so-called second year blues, or a change of role, or something else, I dunno.

Edit: And I guess what I mean by that is that in 2016, when there was a turnover and we went forward, he would find space and on the attacking side. Good players get a couple of metres on their opponents. Parish somehow found ten, and not hiding down the boundary line but in the most dangerous possible places.
He just didnā€™t do that last year.
Iā€™m sure he improved on all his kpiā€™s, but for mine thatā€™s a terrible thing to lose.