#3 Darcy "Darcy Parish" Parish - Shiel can play forward pocket instead

Yeah, I had Merrett above Hepp and Goddard.

Would he be in the top ten mids in the game?

Did anyone see year 3 Jobe reaching Jobe heights?

I sure as heck didnā€™t

Do you see Parish reaching that level?

Iā€™d like to see one of Francis or Ridley eventually play midfield.

3 Likes

Have you been drinking with Adrian again?

7 Likes

I think I misinterpreted your original post slightly.

I think Merrett is certainly in the conversation regarding top 10 mids. If we start making top 4 there will not be any doubt.

1 Like

Francis would have to almost be no chance, never going to have the tank.

Is Ridley (192cm/84kg) being spoken about as possible mid?

Interesting.

As a quick idea of smooth moving skilled player. He is the same size as the Bont (192cm/85kg)

1 Like

If Merrett can more damaging forward of centre then I would definitely have him top ten.

I believe he has it in his arsenal but heā€™s been asked to go back to start off our attacking moves from deep.

Nailing the kick out of 50 is just as important, if not more so, than making the kick into 50

2 Likes

I agree and hence why I say we need another top grade midfielder to compliment Merrett.

Hepp and Parish arenā€™t reliable kicks and I doubt will ever be.

2 Likes

I suspect both hepp an be parish hit the ball a bit high on their foot. I think parish has a better technique to work with though.

1 Like

Donā€™t think youā€™ll get any argument on that first sentence. Iā€™d give up all our biscuits in the next trade period for that one exceptional young mid.

1 Like

McGrath will become that person.

1 Like

Yep, we are crying out for another elite mid.

I understand that people like Parish and I agree he has has some great qualities but I donā€™t think heā€™s the guy.

McGrath on the other hand can certainly be that player.

I have faith in Dodoro to pinch one off another team but then it becomes a question of salary cap. Elite mids donā€™t come cheap.

Hang on!? Merrett doesnā€™t have game shaping ability and Heppā€™s (189cm) the same size as Parish (180) etc? Thatā€™s not right.

With McGrath you can see his line breaking ability which will only improve with more exposure / experience

Same with Parish who hits packs at speed and drives the ball forward. Those 2 have some genuine game shaping traits that will come to the fore in time. Donā€™t forget Champion Data rate Essendonā€™s 23 and under list the best in the comp!

I think the whole give more kids a go (which I agree with) is hamstrung by where the club think theyā€™re at ā€¦ premiership window.

Do you think Merrett can take over a game off his own boot like the stars of the comp can?

Joe in my opinion is the only one that can.

You can compare Hepp and Parish in terms of cmā€™s if you like but Iā€™m talking about the physical side of the game and neither are bulls.

My whole argument around Parish is that I donā€™t believe he has game changing ability and I stand by it. I hope you are right though.

As far as Champion Data is concerned I have no idea how they come up with those ratings. I agree we have a very talented list but I donā€™t think its in midfield.

Iā€™m open to suggestions from you on how we test out the young guys we have waiting in the VFL.

Also, remember Anzac Day 2017 when Merrett went down and Parish filled the breach with 28 possies, 5 score involvements, 8 contested possies, 10 marks, 3 tackles, 3 clearances. In the Sydney final he proudly flew the flag with 14 contested possessions! Just give the kid more midfield responsibility ffs

11 Likes

I found it interesting in Hirdyā€™s podcast this week he said heā€™d have Hepp spending some time across halfback because you need good ball users back there. Makes me think he didnā€™t watch the weekendā€™s game!

3 Likes

In terms of taking over a game like the stars of the game canā€¦ who would you have said that about from the Hawks teams of 2014/2015?

Hepp was far more reliable early on so maybe James hasnā€™t watched much of the last couple of seasons.

1 Like