#3 Darcy "Darcy Parish" Parish - Shiel can play forward pocket instead

Darcy Parish is 20 years old . Give him a break.

For such a high level pick is really irrelevant once they are in the club.

I reckon heā€™s going ok without tearing games apart.

Heā€™s on track to do better than the average player and many top 10 picks.

I like his intensity, but Iā€™d like him to tidy up his kicking and be able to kick well in top gear.

Not easy but possible. Stants went from awful to pretty damn good (kicking).

Iā€™m just not confident heā€™ll hit them right, at the minute. Zaka is having a bad run of turnovers, but you know itā€™s not ability to hit the kick well - most of the time heā€™s very tidy, and the turnovers are mixed with some very skilful delivery. Goddard similar - has occasional turnover issues but you know he can kick. Donā€™t get that feeling with Darc, not sure he can hit it well at pace, or sees the kick as well as some. With Heppell being an ordinary kick ( and not much prospect of changing given his age), itā€™d be nicer if Darc became a better kick.

But he brings good intensity, and is improving all the time I reckon.

1 Like

I truly believed youā€¦until that last line

Killer Mike ā€¦ you need to learn to cuddle all the bambis.
Otherwise make your points about Green, or Brown or someone will you please.

- ducks really low -

1 Like

was his skill one of his biggest attributes when playing under 18s ?

if so heā€™s taking a bit of time to transition it to afl level at present. not to say he wonā€™t, but for a pick 4, he isnā€™t really standing out alot.

players who have it, you normally see bursts of their potential, and just need time to get the body. he seems to be a good ish mid, but doesnā€™t look like heā€™ll improve much beyond this. not that itā€™s necessarily bad, just not as high as youā€™d hope a pick 4 to go.

1 Like

No, with parish and why he was drafted he just played footy better than everyone else.

1 Like

Yep, stick to whipping boys onlyšŸ˜Š

And that sums up Darcy to a tee. Not the biggest, or the strongest, or the fastest, or any other of the ests; just a ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  good natural footballer. Heā€™ll never win a brownlow, but heā€™ll very rarely let you down either.

4 Likes

Yup, also explains why players like oliver, weitering, schache etc were taken before him. He will give you 20-25 a game every game. theyā€™ll have highs that a higher but lows that are much lower.

We also have very little idea what the coaches are specifically asking of him. They might be asking him to concentrate on working to release his team mates, and concentrate less on showing off his own individual skills.

Remember Cal Twomey saying he was an elite kick in under 18s and had the best kick of the available mids. Hopefully his kicking improves in the AFL to match his junior years.

1 Like

True story.
I ran into Darcy on a night out a few months ago.
Bought him a few drinks too.
Great bloke.
Gave him a hug too (No homo)

2 Likes

Bet you canā€™t wait to buy guelfi a drink.

11 Likes

If Stringer was coming from a colossal way back to become a midfielder, where does that put Aaron? :joy:

The Milky Bars are on Matt.

ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  hell, just noticed the upspike in this thread

Here is the facts

Parishā€™s trajectory is absolutely fine. He just needs 5 more kilos to be able to impact the game to his full ability. He is 20, that will come.

100% will be our second best mid when this happens, stop being a thatch of ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– 

12 Likes

So they come in thatches?

2 Likes

Would make an interesting thatch roof.

Iā€™m sure @Bomb_Doe could do something with Benftiā€™s concept.

3 Likes

Iā€™m biased, heā€™s one of my favourites.
I think heā€™s kicking is pretty awesome for his strength. Doesnā€™t really have that penetrating kick just yet but kicks to the advantage if he canā€™t hit the target which is a real weapon. He was probably so dominant as a youngster that he was a kick to touch type player and followed up heā€™s own kicks. He rarely shanks it which is a positive.
As for other parts of his game itā€™s age and size thatā€™s holding him back. I really doubt he has the tank to go all day as an onballer. Strength is improving but the force expenditure he has to use is also taking its toll on his tank. The other issue to come from it is the two way running, he may have 30+ but his opponent would too if he played in the middle all day.
The only concern I have which clearly isnā€™t an issue because he keeps getting games is his teamwork. My opinion is that he is a bit selfish, for where he is in the pecking order he could be doing more things to help others. I love the determination to become 1st string but for the time being he has to protect and create space for others.

1 Like

20 to 25 possessions a game whilst also tagging or playing a role that does not involve accumulating possessionsā€¦does that make you A grade?

Watching the Port game, Darc was always going to a man & rarely the main target in ruck contestsā€¦

Possessions arenā€™t everything

1 Like