#3 Darcy "Darcy Parish" Parish - Shiel can play forward pocket instead

So when hes playing with a cracked shoulder blade and in perth wob can boo the ■■■■ out of him?

I think Darcy is in no way vanilla. He hits congestion at top speed picking up contested loose balls and fires out handballs to team mates. In some ways he reminds me of Daisy Williams, and I hope in time will offer a similar impact as Sloane at the Crows.

8 Likes

I see Darcy’s mate got dropped by the Lions for this weekend. Where are all the people saying we should have picked him in the draft?

2 Likes

A thatch of merkins?

2 Likes

Darcy is top shelf. Close thread, open new one, and go to confession.

2 Likes

Which one this is in particular?

For a ■■■■ team, Brisbane seem to have 19 or so guys Blitz reckon we should’ve picked/traded for. (And it’s never their 4 or 5 actual good players.)

Mathieson. The one in Darcy’s draft that went in about the 40’s I think

He certainly has a bit of the Daisey about him though Williams was better outside. I agree his speed around the contest is impressive, Sloane is a great role model for him.

2 Likes

Just finished watching the replay. I thought Parish was excellent - his hitting of the packs at speed and inside game is really accomplished for a 20yo. I actually think he has a nice mix of inside\outside game too.

There are two things which indicate to me that he will be an influential midfielder for the club for the next decade. 1) He already has the inside craft\attack\intensity in the contest - and he still has a body to grow into to enable him to hold his own there (as apposed to an Oliver who has a big build on him already). 2) He doesn’t yet have the tank to run as a ‘box to box’ midfielder and exhibit his outside link and run - we see how good Robby Gray is at this after a decade of hardened pre-seasons.

He has good acceleration from congestion and a nice step, his hands are creative and damaging. Yes he does have some rough edges on his kicking, but so did Lenny Hayes.

I think people need to stop looking at the AFL.com stat box and realise that the really important components of a young midfielders ‘game’ are already there with Darcy; attack of the contest, courage, clever use of space in close, vision to distribute the ball, follow up efforts etc. It’s just a matter of further natural development – he physically has a huge amount of upside still and I’m confident he will be a top shelf midfielder - most of our worries with Darcy Parish IMO will be warding off raids from other clubs every time he comes out of contract.

13 Likes

I think a lot of it is the same criticism people lay at Heppell: he’s not “elite” at any one thing.
Which is true - but basically irrelevant.
He’s very good at clearances, he’s pretty good in open play, he’s a hard worker & good decision maker, and he’s got that incredibly useful knack of being able to get involved when he’s not really involved.

He’s the sort of player Sydney are built on.

2 Likes

Mathieson . Its really not good to be dropped in the team that’s sitting 17th on the ladder. But Mathieson was OK last year , In another poor team, Weitering the #1 draft pick is playing badly enough to be dropped , but lets give them both the benefit of the doubt. They are probably playing sore.

Zaha isn’t a clearance player, Smith I would say is iffy if he is better (very impressed with Smith to date).

I honestly haven’t seen his in-close work as super. More just my observation, but will pay more attention.

I hope he does improve, and if he becomes a top notch clearance player will happily retract vanilla statement. Just my observations of what I have seen of him. Output doesn’t match the hype (and it is typical Essendon to over-hype) and I suspect that is part of the problem - they hype train is overblown for where he is at and my assessment may well be too harsh for his output (as opposed to perception). And this has nothing to do with Blitz, more so my mates who I talk to about the footy.

1 Like

But they have those other guys likes Kennedy and Hanneberry (sic) and guys coming along like Heeney.

We don’t have that luxury unfortunately.

You’ve missed my point.
go have a look at what Hanmeberry and Kennedy and jack and McVeigh and Parker did at rhe same age, in their 3rd and 4th years.

To me there’s a common theme: by and large they recruit mids who are mostly solid, work hard, good on the inside.
They don’t expect youjg guys to do everything from the outset.
They take good kids and slowly, steadily develop them into stars.

Also it’s hella stupid to blame Darcy for not having Kennedy and Hannebery etc to develop alongside…

3 Likes

Fair enough.

I guess that highlights/reinforces our problem. They had the time because they had an established midfield to allow it. We don’t.

Irrelevant to darcy.

The midfield is in development. He’s part of that. Have some patience.

3 Likes

Thread title restored to its former glory.

2 Likes

YAS

Good record against the Pies.
Predicting it’s his time to influence a game, career high inside 50’s and metres gained.

1 Like

HFF’s & HBF’s are midfielders these days :stuck_out_tongue: