#3 Darcy "Darcy Parish" Parish - Shiel can play forward pocket instead

Unless he can improve his kicking, does he actually have anything to work on and can be improved at vfl level?

He always seems to put the effort in to my naked eye, but lack of pace and size will always be a hindrance.

What exactly do we want to turn him into, stoppage player? Outside player?
stopper? flanker?

Of course his confidence would be down which can be improved at vfl level but I’m wondering what they want from him given his limitations.

1 Like

needs to be played onball in the guts. not as some winger/hff loser.

13 Likes

Just get his hands on the footy and really rack them up and remember how he can dominate crapper players Then come.back in with some confidence.

1 Like

He is an out an out inside mid. He needs to improve lots of facets of his game but I agree with KM he needs to be able to pick up more possessions on the outside.

Also needs other onballers to raise to the occasion around him. Helps if he is the designated receiver sometimes instead of the tagger of one of the oppositions better receiver at all ruck contests

Needs to watch Tom Mitchell. An inside mid who still racks up huge amount of footy and a lot of it is just link up play. And it’s because he is so smart in running to right areas

Mitchell is not this massive inside brute either. They’d be similar size.

5 Likes

Agree, and this is my nagging concern. May lack the weapons.

Could have had Oliver but Melbourne cut in ■■■■■■

Can we stop with the Oliver talk? We had no control over it. We sat pretty at pick 4 and had no reason to move mountains to gain 1 spot. Melbourne saw the opportunity and took it, fair play to them. He was the best choice at pick 5 and still remains the best choice to this day. This young kid will learn (yes, kids learn) from his omission and come back better than ever!

10 Likes

Don’t think dropping him achieves anything personally. What’s he got to gain? He hasn’t been that bad regardless. Play him in the guts in the 1s and let him develop there.

4 Likes

I did.

Does anyone have his stats for km’s run per game?

Is fitness the main reason why he doesn’t play as a pure mid? He’s never been known to excel in any athletic attribute which has put him behind the 8 ball to get to that next level.

The new zaharakis. It’s time we got used to it.

Yep.
Playing with zero confidence in a busted ■■■■ of a midfield. Everyone looks crap. Zerrett looks crap, Heppell looks crap. Hot take, they’re not all completely ■■■■.

With that said, Parish has looked tanked for a few weeks. A freshen up should help.

7 Likes

I agree Mitchell is a good reference point, especially because he spent heaps of time in the NEAFL before becoming the gun that he is now.

In his first year he was getting contested possessions and bursting from stoppages. Unfortunetly for him we’ve preferred Myers to win the contested footy and then turn it over with blind kicks out of the pack.

I know what I prefer. He’s been dropped now, he should kill them down in the 2s and come back bigger, better and hungrier and tear the opposition apart later in the year. 2018 is no write off for him and he is still going to be a great player for us for many years.

1 Like

Averages of 380 + m gained , 4.2 tackles, 80 % de, 9 contested pos out of of 28+ disposals.

I’d take that from DP. I’d even take take it with a bunch of blitzers calling it useless, nothing worthwhile and weak.

6 Likes

Mitchell is off the boil. Has been for about 3 weeks.

Blitzers picked a bad example to slag off. “Poor” as Zaha is, he is now one of our best players and is consistent, in a similar conversation to Dev Smith. If only we had another 20 consistent players fit enough to run out 4 quarters.

3 Likes

Mitchell has polled 2nd in the coaches votes two of the last three weeks. Wish our blokes could be off the boil and still be considered the second best player on the ground.

3 Likes