#3 Darcy "Darcy Parish" Parish - Shiel can play forward pocket instead

Killer mike is right, parish needs more size on him. If you are going to be an inside mid you need to be bigger.

So anyway how did he go in the VFL?

Oh, well - he got pushed off the ball too easily, unfortunately.
He needs to put 5kg on him, and it will get better.

Relax. We can disagree, thatā€™s okay. We all follow the same team.

3 Likes

I think youā€™re all getting sidetracked by this size issue.

I think what we should be discussing is that Langford is going to end up a better player.
Thatā€™s no disrespect to Parish, I still think heā€™ll be a very solid player and will probably play 200 games. But Langford will be better.

Why do you think this?

It seems like everyone looks for negatives in parish and the slightest positives in other kids.

If parish had Langfordā€™s game of 16 possessions with some nice disposal. I doubt anyone would be saying good game.

4 Likes

32 touches, 5 tackles, 6 inside 50s.
Front of the queue for a return.

9 Likes

Yeah, but has he gained 5kg?

Itā€™s pretty rare for Parish to have nice disposal so I think people would praise him if he did.
Part of his issue is that his disposals donā€™t hurt and for someone in that boat he doesnā€™t get it enough to offset his lack of hurt factor at the moment.
I still think heā€™ll be a good solid player, I just donā€™t see him ending up a star.

Langford has a few things going for him that indicate he could be a star. Marking ability for a mid is excellent. Kicking and general decision making is excellent and very agressive.

3 Likes

Donā€™t go there @aboods.

It wonā€™t end well for you :grinning:

so langfords gonna be a generational talent then?

1 Like

I thought you rated The Langford?

not really as the midfield.

for mine he wouldā€™ve been a rare talent as a 3rd tall.

edit: i legit thought we were addressing lack of forward firepower in one draft with him and lav.

Oops, left out the ā€œdonā€™tā€

IMO Darc size is not an issue, needs to work on his run and his delivery. He is a very smart footballerā€¦it will come. He is only 21; so time is on his side.

2 Likes

Darcyā€™s issue is purely fitness. Iā€™d say he has a good percentage winning the contest but he doesnā€™t make enough contests. Itā€™s a snow ball effect, makes less contests, energy decreases to make a better effort, decision making and skill execution decreasing due to exhaustion.
Heā€™s a smart and talented player and will become one of our best players if he can go to an elite fitness level.
It all stems from his fitness level.

1 Like

Probably a bit overrated tbh.

Is currently a good ordinary young player (time still on his side) who has done nothing of any real note.

Given he has been given a generous extended run in the seniors without really doing much at all heā€™s been a bit disappointing IMO.

Heā€™s a fairly average kick, struggles overhead, doesnā€™t seem to find the ball easily and doesnā€™t really hurt the opposition when he does have it.

At this stage, heā€™s definitely not a player that should have a golden ticket.

1 Like

Probably would of killed yesterday if he played in the 1ā€™s, everyone else was able to turn their form around.

2 Likes

I reckon if he gave his best for the whole game then weā€™d all the singing his praises for how good a player he is. When heā€™s in the contest heā€™s dishing off some great handballs and his contested work is very good, I seem to remember in the Final last year he was the only good player we had early on in the midfield and he looked exciting linking up and running through. He can play, Iā€™ve seen him play very well. My issue is he then disappeared completely, like he does in most games particularly in the second half of games, after a good 10 minute period. His ability to have a great quarter and then halfway through the last have everyone be like ā€œwhat happened to Parish?ā€.

Imo he needs to kick far more, him kicking 4/5 times a game is a problem, the over handball is a disease that riddles the club and heā€™s a prime culprit. Heā€™s not a shocking kick and you donā€™t have to be pinpoint kick and I know he can make basic kicks so the over handballing says to me heā€™s too scared to kick or doesnā€™t back hiself in. You donā€™t become a gun midfielder if you handball more than a 2/1 ratio for kicking. Also he needs to find more loose ball, he puts in the effort no question but he needs to get dangerous. 15 possessions each game for a midfielder is not good enough. I think most of these issues can all be addressed.

1 Like

I agree with those who say he needs to put on some more size so heā€™s not so easily pushed off the ball. Heā€™s not quick or a great ball user, so heā€™s never going to be much of an outside player. That means he need to be winning ball on the inside and be a first possession player.

His ball handling and ability to execute under pressure is pretty good, so heā€™s got some of the skills. But he is routinely monsters by bigger and more powerful opponents on the inside. That said, we need to be careful about him putting on too much size because his running will suffer, and he doesnā€™t seem a natural athlete in that regard.

I reckon he will work his way back into the side quickly and become a solid long-term prospect.

1 Like

This is it for mine, for both the kicking issues and not finding enough ā€˜cheapā€™ ball outside the contest. Heā€™s just in a rut.
Hope he has maybe 1 more dominant game in the 2s, then heā€™ll come back with way more belief, really attack the second half of the year.

1 Like