#3 Darcy "Darcy Parish" Parish - Shiel can play forward pocket instead

I encourage you to show the same amount of patience with Parish as you have with Langford.

2nd year blues is very regular and he only got 8 games in a 2-6 side in his 3rd year.

Will be an absolute ripper!

3 Likes

It wasnā€™t patience on my behalf with Langford. I liked what I saw with him and was very confident he could become a very unique player for us.

Parish I just donā€™t see it with him.

Iā€™m happy to be proven wrong but I believe for us to become a genuinely good side we need another elite mid or two.

As pointed out above it is critical for periphery midfielders to be able to have an impact in more than one position.

Myers is a great example of what not to look for in a midfielder. If your only trick is to impact around contested situations then you better be very good at it or otherwise you can become a liability.

Parish will be great. Put him on the ball and watch him go.

Rotation one: Smith, Zerrett, Langford
Rotation two: Parish, Stringer, McGrath
Rotation three: Heppell, Fantasia, Zaharakis

5 Likes

yeah nah not a good comparison, and i suspect you know that

you were arguing that parish needs to make an impact in more than one position because he is a periphery mid, but then compare him to a player that legitimately has one of the poorest skillsets on our list (IMO)

He is limited because he is

• glacially slow
  • poor hands in close
  • comically one sided
  • resulting in his game being basically see ball, hoof ball out of pack

Thats why you wouldnā€™t look to draft him, not because he can only play as a midfielder.

I counter that comparison with Stanton, Hocking, Howlett (he hardly rested forward despite having a couple of games up there). All basically played midfield only, all had pretty good careers. If Parish can turn out like any of those three then Iā€™d be reasonably satisfied. The draft is a complete lottery, where you took a player means sfa, all that matters is what you can get them to do in the senior team, as required by the coaches. I feel you constantly let Parishā€™s position in the draft pretty much completely skew your perception of him as a player.

i kinda feel like im beating my head up against a wall everytime you post re langford/ parish, but your arguments just seem so childish to be honest

4 Likes

Iā€™d be interested to get Killer Mikeā€™s thoughts on Darcy Parish.

11 Likes

Yeah, itā€™s hard to measure Parishā€™s value to the team at the moment given the quality coming through. 2016, pretty much thrown to the wolves and did remarkably well as a midfielder. 2017, with all the returning players, was plonked half forward for ā€œfurther education/development. His form seemed to suffer (although his possession numbers were good given where he was playing) as a result BUT supporters were given a reminder of his true value as a footballer in the elimination final against Sydney. 2018, his form basically mirrored what the team were producing. Shame heā€™s injured. Wouldā€™ve loved to see his output while the team are flying.

4 Likes

Iā€™m not comparing skillsets but rather the role they will/are playing.

I donā€™t see Parish being the dominate inside mid that we require as he is too small and has at this early stage shown a propensity to read the ball off hands rather than physically dominate a contest like the big inside mids can.

If you are going to be a balanced mid which I think should be his aim then you have to be damaging on the outside. Merrett, Langford, Zacha and Heppell are all good examples of this.

Parish for mine lacks class and any damaging weapons.

That puts him in the Myers category.

Heppell is a liability as soon as he starts to play ā€˜on the outsideā€™, and iā€™m not entirely sure that langford plays that much on the outside? hes damaging on the odd opportunity he gets space, but any semi decent player should be, and id argue that parish has shown that ability too. Zaharakis is not a balanced midfielder, he is predominately an outside midfielder who isnt too great at the contest at all, if we were relying on him to extract the ball for us then we would be in a bad spot.

zach is an absolute freak because he is great on the inside and great on the outside. I see no reason why parish cannot match Zachs output as an inside midfielder, however, legit none. His hands are as good, strength is as good, tenacity basically as good. I think compensates for not having a ā€˜standout weaponā€™ā€¦ whats hepps? stringers? zaharakis? I dont agree that players need to have a single damaging weapon in order for them to play a role in a team.

Ill stop because i dont see the point anymore haha. well just have to hope for the best with parish.

2 Likes

Gee youā€™ve ramped it up today KM, suggesting we trade him.

I donā€™t think weā€™ve got enough quality in our midfield yet to go trading him.
I think heā€™ll still be a very solid player. I just think he needs to build his fitness and strength further.
But even with that, iā€™m not 100% sure where he fits. Zaka has to come back into this midfield. Logically heā€™d replace Guelfi I reckon. If Parish replaces Myers we might be a bit small. Iā€™d prefer a guy of Clarkeā€™s size replacing Myers long term.

2 Likes

I agree with this.

I think we could still potentially get a top 15 pick for him and pick up a different type of player.

We need mids no doubt but we donā€™t need depth we need top end talent.

Ok. Do you guys are now both using bad examples.

Parish is not like Myers @Killer_Mike . At all.

Also if you want to talk about player flexibility Myers was drafted as a half back.

Parish moves through congestion and takes the football away from stoppages. That is a very unique skillset.

Zakka. Holy balls @alex.f.94
I feel like so many arguments about zakka are from 5 years ago lol.

Zakka plays ā– ā– ā– ā–  when playing as an outside midfielder, he gets lost and does fark all. It doesnā€™t make sense when you look at his skillset I know but itā€™s real. Zakka plays well when he is asked to play in the contest and on the ball. Always has, always will. He is an onballer.

This argument is driving me crazy.

Parish is a very good young promising midfielder who has excellent stoppage craft but needs to work on his kicking. Simples.

10 Likes

Kids a gun who was grinding it out when the whole team was ā– ā– ā– ā– .

This talk is pathetic. Wait til he comes back in to a system that is working and then see how he goes.

19 Likes

Stop it KM, this dribble you go on about with Darcy is silly.

Hereā€™s a little fact for you and your precious Langford:

Darcy played senior footy immediately upon being drafted and played most games he could. Kyle took until this year to fully break into the side.

You want to compare the two then Darcy has shown far more in the same time the Langford has been at the club.

Show a little faith in the guy instead of just going all McAvaney (or is that Donnington?) on your favourite and throwing the rest away.

Maybe go back and watch some Parish highlights and realise you have this one wrong.

5 Likes

I canā€™t be bothered writing why, but Parish will be a gun. A top 5 player for us once he is physically mature. Has done everything youā€™d want for a skinny young inside mid in his first 3 years.

Shame we couldnā€™t see him in this current team playing good football because his ball hunting and intensity around the ball is exactly the style we are playing right now.

5 Likes

Parish has lots of improvement to come. Iā€™m not sure why anyone would be considering trading him. Surely at worst he gets a spot in the bench.

1 Like

Not sure why you are comparing the two players.

Totally different players and one was a top 5 draft pick and the other a big bodied player that needed to stack on the kgā€™s to compete.

Langford is also learning how to play midfield and is learning very fast.

And Langford has gone past Parish for your information. So stop speaking rubbish.

Iā€™m actually waiting for somebody to tell me what is so special about Parish and how he fits into our future plans.

Nobody seems to know.

honestly nobody needs to tell you anything. youve had plenty of people discuss how parish fits into the team and what his strengths are. it seems you basically shut off as soon as anyone seems to indicate either a) the strengths of parish, b) the merits of him being in the team

whether or not parish turns out any good, that remains to be seen, but in the meantime, if you could stop pretending that nobody is able to see what parish offers the team and going forward the sort of player he can develop into, so as to justify your own personal opinion of him, thatd be great.

3 Likes

You said you would stopā€¦