#3 Darcy "Darcy Parish" Parish - Shiel can play forward pocket instead

Where’s Donnington when you need him?

1 Like

He’s a jack of all trades, master of one.

He just needs to go from being average at everything else, to being slightly above average and he’s a jet.

wtf

Master of one or none?

One. Clearance work is elite.

2 Likes

Jack-of-all-trades, master of one…

Makes you a damn useful tradesman.

5 Likes

A couple of his handballs in congested space were from another world - He has 360% vision.

1 Like

3 Likes

Agree. IMO his overhead marking is more of a problem than his kicking.

Not worried about the minutiae of it Ice Temple, I saw your post as more of an opportunity to ( try to) make a suggestive joke.

3 Likes

I thought that was blindingly obvious.

IT must have had the serious goggles on. He usually spots the funnies.

1 Like

I don’t think his kicking, or his size, or his fitness are issues, but I don’t think they’re above average. When he gets to just a bit nicer kick, and just a bit bigger, and just a bit fitter, he’s going to be very, very good.

He knows where he needs to be and what he needs to do, which is most of the battle.

4 Likes

Must have, I completely missed it! Doh

1 Like

Could somebody please post the Darcy Parish article in the Herald Sun?

Judging by the title of the article you pretty much know how it’s going to read…

I don’t like referring to Wayne Carey by little friendly nicknames.

I mean I’m happy for him to have a nickname, but instead of ‘The Duck’ I would suggest ‘The Sex Offender’.

It can still work. “Ohhh good call Sex Offender”, “the Sex Offender has some harsh words for blah blah”

4 Likes
Darcy Parish enjoying career-best form at Essendon after building fitness and confidence

Chris Cavanagh, Herald Sun
31 minutes ago

AFTER Essendon’s poor start to the season, Darcy Parish was one of the sacrificial lambs.

By his own admission the midfielder’s form had not been where he would have liked, nor his fitness, and he was one of five changes made after Round 8 — at which point the Bombers had slipped to 2-6 after a loss to arch rival Carlton.

There was no pulling the wool over the eyes of the Essendon coaches, who gave Parish a “clear message”.

Gathering 32 disposals and laying five tackles in his first VFL game was a solid start, but after he pushed for an AFL return in his second game back in the twos a problem was discovered.

The tough country boy from a sheep farm at Wensleydale, southwest of Geelong, had unknowingly played through a broken thumb which required surgery, putting him on the sidelines for six weeks.

On one hand you could describe the injury as a major setback, but on reflection Parish sees it very differently, having discovered career-best form since his Round 17 AFL return.

“It was a mini pre-season,” Parish said of the six-week spell on the sidelines.

“With the hand surgeries you can still do plenty of running and fitness stuff which is great and I didn’t miss out on too much of that other stuff with the ball handling. But it was great just to run and get my fitness base up to the required level.

“I think it helped me with this good form of late, getting the running in. So it’s been a little bit of a blessing in disguise, the injury.”

Parish has averaged 23 disposals, four clearances and 89 SuperCoach points since his return, playing an important part in Essendon’s return to form which has seen the Bombers win four of their past five matches.

They have been positive signs for the 21-year-old, who was the No.5 pick in the 2015 national draft and the Bombers expect to only get better.

“During that period of his injury he was working on those aspects of his game that we wanted to see when he came back into the side,” Essendon coach John Worsfold said.

“I think Darcy’s definitely taken steps forward and still got a lot of upside left.”

Parish has been working closely alongside midfield coach James Kelly and performance coach Hayden Skipworth this year, who have helped him develop his game and grow in confidence — something he was lacking early in the year.

“I was speaking to Kel the other day actually and this is probably the best patch of footy that I’ve played with Essendon so far,” Parish said.

“Third year in the system I’m starting to find that belief and ability and I really want to make my name in the competition now.”

Soon to move into a new home in Coburg, Parish has settled in well to city life but has not forgotten his roots.

He bought a flock of 30 sheep that he runs alongside father Glen’s 800-odd on the family farm at Wensleydale, trips back there to see the family and attend to the flock very much cherished.

“The boys give it to me around the club because they don’t think I’ve been to the farm once in my life. They think I’m a city slicker for sure,” Parish said.

“But I love getting back to the farm and there’s always going to be that soft spot I think"

There will be more time for farm visits over the off-season but for now Parish and the Bombers are staying focused as they look to roast their final two opponents this season.

That starts with reigning premier Richmond at the MCG tonight, a team the Bombers lost to by 87 points in the pre-season competition and again fell to in Round 11 by 71 points.

“We’ve faced them first-hand a couple of times this year and they’re a quality outfit all over the ground so we need to bring our A Game and anything’s possible with finals,” Parish said.

“But I just want to play some really good footy for Essendon and help build our brand as a footy club so we can cement our spot in the top-eight for years to come.”

8 Likes

Heaven forbid a person be allowed to move on with their life.

Thank you sir.

Oh totally.

I mean who hasn’t been found guilty of sexual assault after grabbing a woman’s breasts on the street, banged his best friends wife in a toilet, beaten another woman in Vegas, provided character evidence for an infamous mobster, punched another woman in the face, been arrested after beating that woman again at her home, and found guilty of breaking a glass over yet another woman’s head and assaulting police?

I mean it’s like mooooove on already am I right?

8 Likes