#3 Darcy "Darcy Parish" Parish - Shiel can play forward pocket instead

No he meant he is a developing player not a quick out of the blocks like Judd player.

1 Like

Just to be a smartarse…

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=6&playerStatus2=I&tid2=19&type=A&pid1=4167&pid2=109&fid1=P&fopt1=2017&fid2=P&fopt2=2002

4 Likes

Parish is going to be a star. In three years he and McGrath will be our best two midfielders.

2 Likes

Going past Merrett is a pretty big step. I don’t think either have the hurt factor in their kicking to achieve that.

… which still leaves a hell of a lot of room for them to be very good players.

Wouldn’t it be great though I we had a side where Merrett was the 3rd and Shiel the 4th best midfielder?

It would, but I think it’s fantasy land stuff

1 Like

I like fantasies

1 Like

Come Dasher, come Stringer, come Tippa, come Blitzen.

1 Like

EFA

2 Likes

That is, indeed, the joke.

l like Dasher for Parish’s nickname. l will use it.

Would be a better name if he was fast

I really want to give that a like because it made me laugh out loud but it might get me in trouble

1 Like

It was rather funny.

1 Like

I love Parish and maybe blindly see promise.
For others and for argument sake does he have a level you expect he reaches to justify the top 5 draft selection this year?
If I’m picky I’d like to see at least 2-3 games 30+ possessions, few Brownlow votes and 22under22 selection. But I’d be happy for a consistent year on an upward curve.

1 Like

I knew he reminded me of something familiar when he first rocked up.

The Grom.

Peter Russel should have stuck to finding where the cheese was

1 Like

Children of the corn should have stuck to the paddocks

1 Like

video interview and words from article - can’t ask for more than that

Fiery Dons itching to play

Conor Walsh

Young on-baller Darcy Parish says an aggressive approach to the pre-season is a good sign of the competitive nature of Essendon’s exciting squad.

Recent match simulations have been played at high intensity and a handful of good-natured battles throughout the pre-season have highlighted an uncompromising preparation for the 2019 season.

Following a near full-scale match simulation on Wednesday, Parish said the intensity on the field is beneficial for all players.

“Everyone’s challenging one another to get better and we’re all competitive people out there, once we cross that line it’s game on,” Parish said on Wednesday.

“(Training) is starting to ramp up…there’s a few niggles here and there but it’s all part of it, we take care of that so it’s all good.”

Parish described Wednesday’s hit-out as “massive” and said excitement is starting to build among the Bombers ahead of the start of the JLT Community Series on Thursday, February 28, when the side takes on Carlton at Ikon Park.

“It was good to have a run around and get four quarters of match simulation into the bodies and the legs, the boys are training really well and progressing really well,” he said.

“It’s coming around pretty quickly, the JLT games, so we’re starting to ramp it up. This is the fun time of the pre-season.

“We’re just waiting for that to come around and we can’t wait to crack in in the JLT, it will be good.”

The tough midfielder lauded a number of teammates for their impressive efforts in the recent simulations with several emerging talents joining some experienced heads among the leading performers .

“If you have a look around there’s some really good young midfielders coming up through the ranks; Kyle Langford, (Andrew) ‘Pidge’ (McGrath), Dylan Clarke (and) Trent Mynott.

“Dylan Shiel, he’s been terrific for the midfield, (is) just another addition that we can go to with his burst of speed and his power.

“Zac Clarke is starting to find his feet a bit now in the ruck and he had a good hit-out today, which was good to see.

“Across the whole field everyone’s performing really well, which is great for spots.”

With Shiel joining the on-ball brigade Essendon has one of the deepest midfield groups in the league and Parish said the team will continue to use that to its advantage by ensuring there are always fresh legs running through the middle.

“I think that’s going to be a really good strength of ours this year as a midfield group, we’ve got so many blokes that can come in, play their role and get out.

“The rotations are going to be important for us this year with (restrictions on) runners, we’ll have to flick them through there quite often, but it’s definitely a strength of ours.”

The 21-year-old has gained significant experience throughout his first three years at The Hangar, playing 55 senior games and tying together seven strong performances to finish off the 2018 season.

Parish averaged 22 disposals and 10 contested possessions in that purple patch in an impressive display of his grit and strength inside the contest.

He says he is confident he can maintain that momentum from late last year to solidify a spot on the ball after a trouble-free pre-season to date.

“(In) the back of last year (I had) real confidence and real belief that I could play the roles for the team in the midfield.

“I’ve had a really strong pre-season again now, (my) fourth year, it’s just flown by.

“I’m hoping to cement myself in that spot and play my part for the team, so that’s all we could ask for.

“(A position in) the round one team will be a little goal for me, so hopefully I can cement my spot in the team and play some consistent footy throughout the year, I’m looking forward to it.”

4 Likes

If it progresses from itching to fiery, please consult your GP.

2 Likes