#3 Darcy "Darcy Parish" Parish - Shiel can play forward pocket instead

I would argue that Walla has come from a lot further back than somebody like Parish.

Parish has had been in an elite training environment probably from nappies.

Walla even when rookied with us was very much speculative and had anything but a hard body.

And Parish entering his fourth season only now has a body shape comparable to a Menengola or other mature age picks to play inside mid.
As for Francisā€¦
Leaving Essendon Tablett Jnrā€™s first few years vs Tim Kelly, Stewart, or Menengolaā€™ first couple of seasons- not comparable.
The next two years will sort out just how good that draft will be.

As others have said, pointless because itā€™s based on what sort of players the author believes theyā€™ll be, not what they are.

1 Like

Article started off ā€œHindsight is 20/20 visionā€.

It would seem that itā€™s not. As wob pointed out, Tim Kelly is easily top 5.

1 Like

I would take what the writer says with a grain of salt.

He does his own phantom drafts and heā€™s hardly going to contradict his own rankings from just a few years ago.

I suspect he had Wietering at 1 just like a lot of other ā€˜expertsā€™ and heā€™s keeping that pick safe.

Iā€™m surprised people even care.

1 Like

Parish is progressing exactly the way I expect. Not everyone can be Zac Merretts and Oliver. He finally has a big body for his natural inside mid game so I now expect him to flourish.

7 Likes

All I care about is how Francis and Parish progress, and I am happy with how both are going.

PS. I reckon Francis by the end of this year may be ranked No. 1 :wink:

Iā€™m surprised by your surprise.

Not really.

Iā€™m surprised by that

well thatā€™s a surprise

I think in a retrospective draft Weitering would go very high. Obviously a lot of players ranked lower are now better players, but the list is projecting into the future, and KPP like Weitering and McKay for that matter are a lot further from the finished product than the mids from that draft.

2 Likes

I still think Weitering was a fine #1 pick.

1 Like

Weitering has shown very, very little to suggest he will be a gun KPP. You guys are being very, very easy on him. I personally think heā€™s average. If I had never known a thing about him, Iā€™d say he was probably a 3rd-4th round pick

1 Like

Itā€™s been my experience, that the more youā€™ve watched Weitering, the less you rate him.

Carlton fans donā€™t rate him much at all.

1 Like

Hopper is the one I reckon is overrated as all fark.

1 Like

OI Hopper is disney pixarā€™s best villain.

oh wait, jacob, carry on then.

Zing

Iā€™ll put in a word in defence of Knightmare (who is generally a solid and honest draft commentator who isnā€™t afraid to put his own views out there even if they might contradict the conventional wisdomā€¦)

The word Iā€™m hearing around the grapevine is that basically every AFL club is staggered how badly weitering has been developed by Fark Carlton and reckon that itā€™s only the environment thatā€™s been holding him back. Which conveniently squares perfectly well with my personal assessment of Weiteringā€™s talent. Fair also to say that Knightmare is rating talls on potential here (which is fair, for a 2015 draft retrospective), with blokes like Weitering, MacKay, and even Franga in the top 20 when their on-field production is still lagging behind their potential.

Tippa has now been featured in three consecutive of Knightmareā€™s top 20 picks, itā€™s hard to argue heā€™s been ignored. Parish ā€¦ yeah, you can make the case there, but hell, thereā€™s plenty of people even on here who donā€™t seem to particularly rate him. Even though I stand by my initial opinion that heā€™s going be an extraordinarily productive mid for a very long time, itā€™s fair to say thatā€™s not a unanimously held opinion.

19 Likes

This is the hindsight he was using

2 Likes