#3 Darcy "Darcy Parish" Parish - Shiel can play forward pocket instead

Will probably play round 1, carve it up and be second best on ground behind Shields.

BLITZ will then move on and pick another player to scapegoat.

The wheel will turn.

6 Likes

Until he has a game that is low standard, then they will come back to attacking him. Because players shouldn’t have bad games, they should be A1 all game, every game.

1 Like

6 Likes

Someone’s gotta give Myers a chop out protecting the kids.

1 Like

Sorry about the typo, I see what you did there. My sauces up here gave me this tip.

1 Like

I just want to see him given an extended run as a genuine midfielder - he’s a super clean inside player and gives a fantastic handball. The area he really shines - albeit, not yet at AFL level - is as a generator of momentum. Parish speeds up the play. We need to give him back the ball after his first handball, because he’s always bursting into space when we’re on attack. This allows him to clear the congestion and dispose of the ball without the physical heat that so often brings his small frame undone.

8 Likes

There is no doubt he is often being played out of position. I wonder how much of that is because of his size and age?

1 Like

That’s fair … I hope it’s not for wanting to protect him though. Boy’s as hard as a cat’s head.

Sometimes we forget moments like his hard ball gather at pace against North in his debut season. That was what I expect Parish to be long term.

2 Likes

Yeah it is what I expect him to be but with the way he has been used it has me concerned at what the coaches may see him as. I tend to trust their judgments but they are not going to get everything right and this is one time where it feels that they are missing a beat.

1 Like

Yep. It may well be that his best position at lower levels is not his best position in the 1’s. Or maybe he’ll work to it. I don’t know.

Dog’s have harder heads, actually. Because they’re bigger. Bigger jaws, and such.

I seem to remember at the end of preseason 2018, it was said that Darcy would have a break out year, ( presumably based on his clearance work at training. ) Now they are saying it again atb the end of preseason 2019
I hope they are right this time.

If they expect Darcy to rack up more than 30 every week, they have to give him more game time in the guts.
In 2019, Zerret, Hepp Myers, and Shiel will have that pretty much to themselves.
So a more likely scenario is more of the same. We might see him increase from 22 to 24-25 disposals a game.

Hes always, always looked good at senior level in close. I really rate his in close stuff. Why is he not doing this over any JLT? I cannot even remember him being at a centre bounce

Who’s saying it?

Shiel? Says that Darcy has “seen the light”

Great. I haven’t heard it.
Well, he’d known more than I would. Hope he’s right.

Hope he isn’t ‘blinded by the light. Revved up like a deuce. Another runner in the night’. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Watch the Carlton game again. He was at most centre bounces in the first half.

1 Like

He’d have to average 22 first. Last season was 20.5. If he bumped up by 2 or 3 this year, I’d be happy.

Look in all honesty I hope Myers spot is not guaranteed. I don’t think he is a lock for best 22. For this team to really improve it comes from the younger players like Parish. Who if given the chance with serious midfield minutes will do very well. Myers could prove me wrong, time will tell.

On Parish there have been games when Zerrett went down with injury or concussion and he really stepped up. I see no reason he cannot do it on a regular basis given the opportunity.