#3 Darcy "Darcy Parish" Parish - Shiel can play forward pocket instead

I wonder if Parish is getting the Langford treatment. Maybe Woosha has plans for him but needs him to hone new skills in the twos like Kyle had to last year

2 Likes

He reads the play well from an inside midfielders perspective, knows his way around stoppages and spreads from them well.

Iā€™d say he has average skills and average pace, neither are weaknesses or strengths. He is just a very good a natural footballer.

At his size and with his attributes he needs to look at players like Tom Mitchell; High possession counts and high clearance counts need to be the feature of his game imo, spending the early portion of the season in the VFL playing in his natural position may not be the worst thing for him tbh, it certainly helped Tom Mitchell.

Edit - meant to say average footskills, he has very good hands.

2 Likes

Can we get him back? His account says heā€™s been banned for 100 years. I only knew him for 2 weeks but had grown very fond of him.

2 Likes

Holding up the new message board?

I think youā€™re wrong on those two counts.

2 Likes

Pretty sure he has more accounts.
And different personas.

1 Like

Iā€™m imagining itā€™s just me on this forum with one guy who has 300 different accounts.

3 Likes

Heā€™s a unique individual

1 Like

hahahaha
There are a handful of posters who like to play both ends and have different personas. And then there are others who have back-up accounts for when they inevitably get banned, since just about everything they post is to incite and upset.

1 Like

I had absolutely no idea what i was getting into. Iā€™m not sure whether to leave or open a few emergency accounts for when i inevitably get banned.

Take 10mins before replying to anyone youā€™re upset with :wink:

1 Like

And stay out of the politics/current news threads - too late for me now!

1 Like

Youā€™ll never see me in there :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I know. And itā€™s a shame because there is some topics that I would honestly like to know what you think.

But hell who am I kidding - I like you now and you would probably lose that pretty quickly if you started posting in there. :wink:

2 Likes

Fair enough, all entitled to their opinion.

My definition of ā€˜exceptionalā€™ well and truly means you get a game in an AFL side, even if you have deficiencies elsewhere. For reference, Smith and Hepp have exceptional levels of mongrel/effort and ability to read the play that make up for their lack of size and speed, respectively. Dyl and McGrath have exceptional speed, Zach and Lang have footskills etc.

Parish is playing VFL. The guy is a good player, has upside, and could prove exceptional in time. ā€¦ but he ainā€™t there yet. Iā€™d suggest members of the selection panel, wiser heads than me, might also agree with that assessmentā€¦ he was out of the side for extended periods last year and out again Rd 1.

1 Like

If I were a selector, I would consider the entire team, what players were available, their suite of skills/talents, their flexibility, how well they complimented the required balance of the specific team for the upcoming game and then balance things out to give it the best chance I could. That could include consideration to the future, to a certain extent. I donā€™t think Iā€™d weigh up three or four skill sets and choose based on who scored the highest.

2 Likes

Donā€™t disagree, but also stand by my post. Thereā€™s 40 players in the squadā€¦ fit players with exceptional key qualities should be walkup starts for the best 22.

And I agree that Parish doesnā€™t seem to have exceptional physical qualities. Youā€™re right in my opinion - he is not exceptionally fast, exceptionally tough - or exceptionally anything, really. But that does go for a number of best 22 players. Not only is it the ā€˜complete packageā€™ in the player, but also the package in the team.
Apply the ā€˜exceptionalā€™ criteria to players like Zaka, Riley, Brown, Hurley, Heppell, Langford, Baguley, Myers and Guelfi. All good players. All usually best 22. Not many have what youā€™d call ā€˜exceptionalā€™ skills in any one thing. But their combined skills/traits make them our best 22.
My point being, even though Parish may not have many exceptional physical skills, he may still be a player that fits within the best 22 list.

2 Likes

Fair enoughā€¦ and good discussion, sincerely.

Just looking at the midsā€¦ Hep is an elite reader of the game, good engine. Shiel has elite burst running, Smith has exceptional pressure, mongrel and read, Zach and Langford elite kicking and decision-making, (Lang a work in progress.) Myers has exceptional size and core strength for a mid, Stringer too. Raz and Tippaā€¦ footskills etc.

Parish? Elite handball over 5 metres? Just not enoughā€¦ he needs a weapon to get a game in that midfield. Iā€™d like to see him get mentored by Smithā€¦ if he can bring the tackle pressure every game at somewhere near the level Smith brings it, thereā€™s a spot for him.

Hurley?? :expressionless: