#3 Darcy "Darcy Parish" Parish - Shiel can play forward pocket instead

the last gut runner

it has been YEARS since i’ve seen a player bust his gut for the r n b like Winders did

1 Like

Was a great game.
He and Ricky Dyson had been whipping boys in here for a few years and then he produced that game and never looked back.
Another great Bonber cruelly curtailed by injury.
We seem to be prone to it and Raz worries me for this very reason.

1 Like

Congrats on your baby girl.
Hope you cope well with sleep deprivation.

Blitz is great for passing away those early morning hours when everyone but you and your little one are asleep :zzz:

1 Like

Yo boomskis. One of the most does not equal the most. That’s all. Winders and Rama would be up there with most unfortunate players. Gumbo too.

1 Like

Talk about reading the play from a distance ? My favourite Winders moment was 2014, we were ahead against the Dogs thanks to Buckets kicking 8, but they were coming at us. Winders was playing behind the ball deep in defence. Then he ran off half back, down the fat side, through the wing, through the empty forward flank, into the square, leapt in the air, spun around in midair and marked 5 metres out for the steadier. Farkin inspirational.

8 Likes

Great to hear about Darcy’s Winderlich mirroring game.

Loved Jason. That game where he and Dempsey both did their knee killed me.

4 Likes

I don’t think parish is? just happens to have a gamewith similar stats to winderlich

Winderlich was a great player crueled by injury. I don’t think he was underrated just never able to reach his potential because his body kept breaking.

He did have trouble finding the footy, but the talent was incredible once he did.

I always look back at the 2002 draft as a shame as both he and Laycock had some serious attributes but never really were able to get their bodies to cope and it seriously effected their core first few development years. But if those two had of reached their potential we would never have dropped as far as we did. Same with our other failed rebuild in 06-08.

2 Likes

Statistically mirroring is what I meant. Mirroring what that reserves performance also meant for Winders would be nice but we’ll have to wait and see. They obviously play differently.

It was against FC too. I was there.

Heppell runs just as hard.

Errh Stanton?

4 Likes

Yep. And the game where Winder and Demps did their knees was a shining example.

I’m not really having a crack at you, because I know what you are getting at. But I think this is harsh. It’s been preseason and sometimes form takes a bit to find early on. New setups, positioning, structures etc. We looked horribly rusty and without cohesion. Personally, I doubt it was “a kick in the pants” per se. More likely, he just needed another game, and genuine midfield minutes. And probably needs more.

1 Like

Fair play - maybe it is too tough. My criticism of Parish is more because in my opinion he is the most susceptible mid in the team because I think others are simply better or offer something different.

So in my opinion he needs to do more, and can’t afford any lapses to get him in the team and keep him there. Merrett, Shiel, Smith, Zaka etc can afford to coast in the pre season … Parish I think needs to be manic every step of the way to demand inclusion. I think his JLT form didn’t suggest that intensity, so rightly he is not in our team today.

Now I didn’t see a second of his game yesterday, but the reports are that he did what we all wanted to see in the pre-season. So that is my criticism of him that it took for a dropping to show form. I look at the way McGrath has been spoken about all pre-season as the big improver and that translated into his games, Even when he was a bit rusty early on against Carlton, he managed to find a way to work into the game. That’s what I wanted to see from Parish.

I can write off one poor game in JLT, but not two for a bloke who I see as on the fringe of best 22. He just didn’t find a way to have an influence - I don’t cop that we are not playing him in his best position as an excuse. The great players find a way.

I think he can contribute to our best team by the way. And I had him in my round 1 team so I am disappointed he is not there. But I know why he isn’t

1 Like

Besides continuity I hope we have a few changes in our first 3 games. 6 day breaks, healthy list, warm weather and the fact teams go all out in the first month.
Even with a win today I wouldn’t be surprised seeing Parish play next week.

I don’t think the skill errors are what kept him out. There’s been plenty of that across the league, it’s the first round. Darcy just lacked intensity in the pre-season matches and from all accounts we want to double down on the high pressure footy.

Mate enough of the broken narrative he that he had 2 bad Jlt games.

He was at least as good or as bad as langford yet no one is saying boo about it.

And for the record parish played under 50% game time game 2 JLT and had 14 possies.
Thats not a bad effort by any means.

3 Likes

Thats not what i said though…

We just don’t have enough spots for small mids as the following hierarchy of midfielders under 185 shows.
7 Merrett, Zachary 180cm 80kg
9 Shiel, Dylan 182cm 82kg
5 Smith, Devon 176cm 77kg
1 McGrath, Andrew 178cm 80kg
11 Zaharakis, David 180cm 79kg

3 Parish, Darcy 180cm 80kg
35 Guelfi, Matt 183cm 79kg

39 Mynott, Trent R 185cm 75kG

A lot of the GWS mids are in the 185-190 cm range and unless we make a concious decision to go ultra small there’s not enough room. Guelfi gets the gig because he can play down back, mid or up forward, but as a pure mid imo, he is not as good as Darcy