#3 Darcy "Darcy Parish" Parish - Shiel can play forward pocket instead

Brayshaw>>>>>Oliver

5 Likes

FFS, what is wrong with you lot?

This isnā€™t about Oliver. Heā€™s irrelevant.

And itā€™s not about Langford either.

Darcy just played a ripper. Thatā€™s the only thing that matters and if you canā€™t admit that, or feel the need to denigrate one of our other players in comparison, then either way youā€™ve got some friggin issues.

He needs to back it up over and over. But there should be no question about his potential to be hugely important for us.

27 Likes

I hope he actually gets the chance to back it up. Wouldnā€™t put it past this lot of coaches to move him to the flanks again.

1 Like

Theyā€™ve lost games because their fwds and defense suck. Not their midfield.

Oliver is an incredible young player.

Oliver Is incredible.
I doubt parish will ever be as good as him but If he fulfils the potential I think he has I donā€™t think he would be too far off.

I think Parish could be about as good a player as rory Sloane is.

1 Like

Everyone here says we draft flankers and try to turn them into mids. I donā€™t buy into that BS where they play as a junior does matter to some degree but its far from what others make it out be.

Contradicting myself here but Parish is a pure mid and was as a junior, a ball hunter, and a good midfielder. Only problem is he offers very little anywhere else. With rotations you need to be an absolute animal (oliver) in the middle, or offer something elsewhere as well. I am rapt about his game but he needs to add more strings to his bow.

Oliver would only be relevant if weā€™d passed him up for Parish.

Which we did not.

In other irrelevant news, Parish is better than Weitering and Schache.

4 Likes

with ease.

a rolls royce on both sides.

For all the astute observers of my considered analysis of all things EFC around here, I thought there are two really interesting players this year with massive upside that will go a long way to us being a successful team. The first is Stringer ā€¦ wonā€™t talk about him here suffice to say that I am impressed.

The other is Parish. I think the inclusion of Shiel absolutely puts Parishā€™s position in the team in the gun a bit, and it is up to Darcy to put in compelling enough form to make the team select him. I thought his pre-season form in JLT was horrible ā€¦ putrid. And I was pleased that standards were there that meant he wasnā€™t selected in round 1. Turns out as a team we were putrid round 1 ā€¦ Parish to his credit went out and did the only thing he could, and dominate a game so that he simply had to be included next game. He was, and against St Kilda he was a bit meh ā€¦ so alarm bells were ringing for me a bit.

Last night Parish was immense ā€¦ I could not have been much more impressed (perhaps some straighter kicking for goal). I hope that this becomes the standard ā€¦ we know that he can play the game. But last night showed how he can really influence a result. Iā€™m rapt for the bloke

6 Likes

Never said he wasnā€™t, anywhere at any time.

Takes the game on. Really solid performance last night. Enjoyed how he kicked the pill more than handballing it. Agree with @edarotag - huge upside for this bloke.

Looks ike Parish doesnā€™t like Melbourneā€¦maybe because they overlooked him in the draft. Lol.

Second time against them, he kicked a goal to seal the win.

I like Parish and Langford

4 Likes

What is this? Are we allowed to like both?

3 Likes

Only difficult to believe if you donā€™t follow the team closely.

True - now itā€™s the McGrath/McClug debate.

Gee I hope not, couldnā€™t give a ā– ā– ā– ā–  how many stats clug gets this sat either, over the moon we picked this kid, future leader :ok_hand:

3 Likes

This is great to hear, as if we thought shiel wasnt great enough already.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2019-darcy-parish-reflects-on-his-return-to-from-and-dylan-shiels-crucial-advice/news-story/351c489cf435c715e952c263c3cf6a1d

Sitting No. 1 at Essendon for disposals, contested possessions, clearances and metres gained, prized recruit Dylan Shiel has already had a profound on-field impact at the Bombers.

But itā€™s behind the scenes where Shiel has been just as valuable, particularly for new midfield teammate Darcy Parish, who showed Shiel-like characteristics in Essendonā€™s first victory on Friday night.

Shiel racked up an equal team-high 31 disposals in the Bombersā€™ 18-point win over Melbourne at the MCG. While his ball use was subpar ā€” he had a kicking efficiency of 37 per cent ā€” his ability to break lines was brilliant, finishing with 600m gained and eight inside 50s.

Live stream the 2019 Toyota AFL Premiership Season on KAYO SPORTS. Every match of every round. Live & anytime on your TV or favourite device. Get your 14 day free trial >

s

Just as promising, though, was the form of Parish, who produced his own well-rounded game: 24 disposals, 14 contested possessions, seven clearances and six inside 50s.

But it was Parishā€™s confidence and dash that wouldā€™ve pleased Bombers fans the most, as nearly half of his disposals turned into scores (11) ā€” a result of winning the ball predominantly through the corridor. He also pushed forward at every occasion, taking three marks inside 50 and booting 1.3.

Shiel and Parish have similar on-field strengths ā€” something Parish, taken by the Bombers with Pick 5 in the 2015 draft, is well aware of.

Itā€™s why Parish has thoroughly enjoyed working closely with Shiel since he walked into the club, taking in every piece of crucial advice from the ex-Giant.

ā€œHeā€™s been terrific since heā€™s come to the club. Even his leadership off the field has been absolutely fantastic for the young group like ourselves,ā€ Parish told foxfooty.com.au .

MORE AFL NEWS

THREE PERFECT SCORES, ONE BIG FAIL: ROUND THREE REPORT CARD

BIG BLOW: FREMANTLE SUPERSTAR KNOCKED OUT AFTER HEAD CLASH

NOT TRUE: SAINTS DENY FLOUTING 6-6-6 RULE

BRERETON: THE VITAL DECISION THAT COULD HELP TRANSFORM MELBOURNE YOUNG GUN

UMPIRING ā€˜LOTTERYā€™: WHY FANS AND PLAYERS AND COACHES ARE FUMING

Darcy Parish had 31 disposals against Melbourne. Photo: Michael Klein.Source: News Corp Australia

ā€œIā€™ve worked with him a fair bit. Heā€™s telling him to back myself in and play my way. It gives me great confidence to hear that from such a great talent. Itā€™s just great to have him on our side.ā€

Despite his strong finish to the 2018 home and away season, Parish was left out of Essendonā€™s Round 1 clash against the Giants in Sydney. That decision came after he struggled to have an influence in his sideā€™s two JLT Community Series hit-outs against Carlton and Geelong.

But instead of becoming bitter, Parish got better, booting five goals for the Bombersā€™ VFL side to earn a recall to the AFL side for Round 2.

Parish said he reflects on the selection disappointment from an objective and positive perspective.

Teammate loses it over hanger

0:39

ā€œIt was tough, but itā€™s sort of a good thing for our team weā€™ve got so much depth at the moment,ā€ he said.

ā€œI just couldnā€™t force my way in, but Iā€™m glad to be back in now and playing some reasonable footy for the club.

ā€œThere wasnā€™t a spot for me in the Round 1 side. I took that on board and wanted to go back to the VFL and prove I was right for the AFL.ā€

Clarke sprays new teammate

0:42

Parish was one of several Bombers that performed well in what coach John Worsfold described as a collective output lift. That was evident in the midfield, with captain Dyson Heppell leading the way alongside David Zaharakis, Zach Merrett and Andy McGrath.

ā€œI felt great (on Friday night). Everyone clicking it helps a bit,ā€ Parish said.

ā€œTo get on the end of a few was nice, but Iā€™m feeling really confident with my footy at the moment and hopefully can continue that throughout the year.ā€

8 Likes

Great article, says a lot about both of the players to be honest. Thatā€™s how you respond to going back to the VFL!

4 Likes

Good response, shows maturity.
There was a passage where I think he earned a holding the ball free from a tackle on McDonald on the half back flank. He ended up running the outside and behind the play and ended up loose on the opposite forward flank. Heā€™s running hard which was the biggest flaw I had on him early last year.
Heā€™s at the stage now where Friday night has to be close to his norm. Any worse deserves the criticism. Heā€™s a good decision maker in tight and has improved his outside game. Iā€™m predicting the good form to continue and expect as well deserve more responsibility in the middle.

1 Like