#3 Darcy "Darcy Parish" Parish - Shiel can play forward pocket instead

The first two weeks were that bad I’m forgetting them all together. I wanted everyone sacked, retired and traded.

2 Likes

Does Parish have the ability to play in another position? How would he go playing down back and rotating through the middle? He played off a back flank for the Falcons in his underage year. I think this is not a competition for spots based on capability, it’s genuinely versatility and team fit… Myers is a big body mid who can go toe to toe with Beams, Pendlebury and co, whereas Parish doesn’t provide that physical grunt and ability to block and doesnt compensate through being able to play elsewhere. Reality is that he’s less effective in other parts of the ground. Myers structurally is important (and for his leadership), and Baguley is a defensive forward. Support Woosha’s decision. If Parish can’t learn to play elsewhere when he’s not onball (and have an impact), and if he can’t improve his disposal efficiency and physicality (still needs to get much bigger) then we shouldn’t be dropping him now we should be actively talking to suitors for a trade at year end. As a midfielder he is similar to what we’ve got already, but is less effective and versatile.

1 Like

Parish is steadily improving but no doubt his kicking is letting him down.

But for those that can’t understand why Fantasia or Walla are being used around stoppages just don’t understand the game.

When either of them get hold of the ball they exit the area very fast and more often than not either hit a forward target or at least give the big forward and opportunity to isolate their opponent.

You just can’t have slow players around the ball anymore or otherwise it gives the opposition too much time to set up defensively.

Parish’s biggest issue is that he’s a handball first type player rather than run and carry. He’s steadily improving in that area this year but unfortunately his kicking is letting him down.

3 Likes

Yes.[quote=“Killer_Mike, post:6296, topic:2439, full:true”]
Parish is steadily improving but no doubt his kicking is letting him down.

But for those that can’t understand why Fantasia or Walla are being used around stoppages just don’t understand the game.

When either of them get hold of the ball they exit the area very fast and more often than not either hit a forward target or at least give the big forward and opportunity to isolate their opponent.

You just can’t have slow players around the ball anymore or otherwise it gives the opposition too much time to set up defensively.

Parish’s biggest issue is that he’s a handball first type player rather than run and carry. He’s steadily improving in that area this year but unfortunately his kicking is letting him down.
[/quote]

Yes, this plus lack of versatility and lack of grunt (maniacal pressure and kamikaze focus on ball).

2 Likes

That makes us a self-congratulatory contradictory individual.

1 Like

In today’s game, you need to have skill inside and outside as a mid. Just as Zaka needed to add the inside to his game - and has, becoming one of our best tacklers and a good extractor, Parish needs to develop his outside game, with run, linking, and making the right choices with his passing. That’s how it goes, deal with it, move on.

2 Likes

This. Classic old school midfielder is Parish… probably why he is so liked here. But modern midfielders need more than just decent handball delivery. Diesel wouldn’t be so lauded if he played in today’s comp

Darcy has been given good opportunity at Essendon.

2016 (sure, special circumstances) - 20 games
2017 - 20 games
2018 - 15 games
2019 - 4 games (out of 5)

He’s only into his 4th year. Plenty of time for all.

4 Likes

Blitz complaining he’s not in the team, yet can’t even be bothered to give him a nickname

2 Likes

This is the problem with having underperforming senior players who arein the upper click at the club, simply cos they are “senior”.

Yes its harsh on parish that hes omitted, cos he either should be in for myers or zaka.
But on th3 othe4 side he is competing with guelfi and it’d be harshier on him 5o get dropped after playing the way he did.

It sucks yes , yes he may leave , if so so be it , but working in the framework we are, he isnt really gonna be pushing any of the senior listed players out of the midfield so he will be fighting all the time to keep his spot on the midfield.

He shanked a couple of kicks and one Woosha was super angry about on the TV as it was accross HB and resulted in a goal to NM. It’s understandable that for his 2 clangers they drop him.

However, there are a few players who are simply not performing to the required standard for their position. At what point do we stop punishing a kid for lacking the impact when he is played out of his natural position vs not punishing a guy playing in his position and underperforming.

Bags has to be on a last chance game, which he seems to thrive on and I wouldn’t be surprised if he had a blinder today.

Myers has underperformed his whole career, as an inside mid he simply doesn’t impact the game enough. 25 possession for an inside mid is a poor game. He struggles to hit 20 on a consistent basis.

1 Like

Most players that are good enough (and injury free enough) to play 1s keep at it until they crack into the best 22. A few players sulk and run off to other clubs. We only want the former players anyway, so there’s nothing to lose.

Parish is talented and tough and should become a very good player for us. A few ups and downs along the way is the norm when trying to get to the elite level, so there’s no point us blowing a valve every time a young player has to fight for best 22.

1 Like

I reckon thats a big part of Melbournes problems.

Nathan Jones is cooked. Yet hes a Co-captain. They cant drop him.

Jordan Lewis aint far off either.

1 Like

Self evidently, you can’t fit 25 players into a weekly 22. Someone is going to be unlucky every week .

My concern is that he hasn’t been outright bad in any game, against Melbourne he was genuinely excellent and two games later he’s dropped again. There are a couple of lads who seem to be dropped immediately despite clearly needing a run of games. And there are a couple who do virtually nothing for weeks on end and are seemingly “backed in” irrespective.

The reality of course is that bringing in Stringer, Smith, Saad, Shiel cuts opportunity for four others. Perfectly understandably too. I’m just not sure that the right ones are being restricted for games. That’s the coaches job , obviously, to pick their preferred balanced side. I disagree with parts of it at the moment, that’s all.

But hey, we’ve got some serious potential having to bide their time in the ressies. This is a very good list on paper, with legit scope for improvement. No excuses to not be at the pointy end.

Hopefully Darce (assuming not a late in today) murders Collingwood on Saturday.

5 Likes

I guess playing devils advocate , myers has missed a game, zaka has, hepp prolly wont ever be dropped, bags would prolly be on his last shot before a dropping.

You xould cop parishs omittion IF everyone was held to the same standard.
As you say its not atm though.

Langford has not been gifted games.

He has played plenty of VFL.

He has one bad game and he’s generally straight out.

1 Like

If Myers has been gifted games all his career, why make the same mistake with Parish and Langford?

Why do we only want the former? If a player wants the opportunity to play, and you have a spot for them to play in, why would you not try to get them? The tigers won a flag with Nankervis, Grigg, Houli and Townsend who all left because they weren’t getting played, and another club offered them the opportunity. The eagles with Vardy and Cripps.

Devon Smith on leaving the giants: “I did everything right to play and didn’t get picked [in the prelim]. After we lost that I knew in my heart I was ready to come home.” Sulked his way to a Crichton Medal.

One poor effort and he is out. That’s different. He won’t be any good until he shows consistent intensity.

If he does, he will be an awesome player. But all indications point to a wasted talent unfortunately. Hope I’m wrong.

Yeah who knows.

I was just pointing out that Langford and Parish have had completely different development programs.

Parish has played maybe 3-4 VFL games and Langford has played 20 or more.