#3 Darcy "Darcy Parish" Parish - Shiel can play forward pocket instead

What is wrong with you people! Parish is a super talented midfielder. Actually, of the younger brigade, he sits atop the list in terms of output, influence, impact and resilience. And those who reckon he can’t improve have got rocks in their head.

As he continues his education (as highlighted by him post game) and his game becomes more rounded, I have no doubt we’ll see an increase in output.

How people can’t be excited about the kid with ball in hand and some of those laser accurate kicks and sharp release handballs, defies logic/sense.

And let’s not forget, from the moment he walked through the door, his work rate and stamina has been elite. Parish is the now and the future of the club. Just lock him away to a long term contract FFS. Losing him would be a massive blow.

32 Likes

Well said. I agree, losing him just as he’s starting to emerge would be completely counterproductive and undo some of the advantages of trading in Stringer , Shiel etc.

Incidentally, getting in so many ready recruits inevitably puts pressure on kids who need opportunity.

4 Likes

Thought he has a great game on the weekend. In the second half when we fell of a cliff he was the one performer who continued to hold his own in the midfield.

We need to continue on playing him. He does his best work on the inside so keep on playing him there.

1 Like

If Blitz (as a collective) had it’s head any further up it’s own ■■■■ regarding “favourites”, it’d disappear into a singularity.

All last year it was Goddard’s fault and everything would be rosy when he finally left, and Francis would reign supreme all-australian on our way to multiple flags. Nup.
All this year it’s Myers for Parish/Clarke. Again, nup.

You and I have ■■■■-farted around on here long enough to remember when Jay Nash, Tom hislop and Sam Hunt were the solution to all our problems.
LOL.
There’s a lot more Sam Hunts than Teddy Richards situations.

We all need to remember that we know, and see, next to nothing of these guys, compared to the information the coaches have.

8 Likes

Had a better game on the weekend. But he isn’t setting the world on fire that’s for sure. He often looks to panic to me, needs to gain some more composure. Panicy little handball to others under pressure was a big problem on the weekend.

More mid field time plus a stronger body will help him gain the composure he needs. Andy to a lesser extent also having similar problems atm.

1 Like

He was good in a horrible final in Sydney, he kicked the winner against Melbourne in the banned year, he was good on Anzac Day, he was our best mid against Geelong two days ago. He’s been inconsistent and struggled to impact from a flank but I like kids that perform on big occassions.

15 Likes

Wait, are you saying Blitz (as a collective) has been proven wrong this year on Myers?

We’ve wanted pure footballing mids forever. We finally have what looks like a very good one and people don’t care if he goes, very peculiar.

He doesnt have explosive pace, but geez he’s one of the most balanced and complete mids we’ve ever drafted. Will be so important to us over the next 5 years.

3 Likes

Sloan like? Someone we tried to recruit…just play the kid where his strengths lie already. Do the Crows play Sloan on the flanks FMD…ever ???

In his early years yes, they have also plonked him in the forward line a lot too.

The modern midfield is a little different to set positions in the past. They like to rotate players through there to keep them fresh. They also have found that players who stick only in that position tend to end up with pretty belted up bodies and struggle later in their careers. Parish is not a big guy so having him play only hard in and under might actually do him and us more harm than good.

I wish we could pin this at the top of every thread.

3 Likes

you know actually looking at Parish he is of decent size,
He’s certainly not the tallest mid but he has packed on alot of muscle now and he looks pretty wide between the shoulders. He isnt a “big bodied mid” but he is bigger than alot of the smaller midfielders like Sloane etc. And he will only get bigger.

Andy Mcgrath is what I would say is a smaller mid.
If that boy had 10 more cm’s he would be one of the best players in the comp in a couple years.

We’re 1-2 & 91% without him, 2-3 & 109% with him in the side… would you be willing to bet?

Blitz loves to imagine that This One Weird Trick To Win Multiple Flags is sack one old guy.

And it’s not.

1 Like

100% right. Staggering for me that others can’t see this.

1 Like

Si if he is omitted from the team, and decides to leave at the end of the season, which l highly doubt, would he ten become known as Darcy Perish?

Sounds just like comments in the last final we played against Sydney. He gets starved of midfield time when we are winning games and they give him more time when we are losing when he becomes a standout.

Kid was involved in 11 of our 19 scores. I’d dare say that would be the highest % of involvements for one of our players this year. He also only turned it over once and went at 88% from 25 touches 12 of which were contested.

Those are pretty stunning numbers. We should stick him on a flank to give Myers a chance to develop in the middle.

22 Likes

Geez, case closed.

You don’t actually buy into that, do you?

I’d suggest most people asking for Myers to be out for Parish, aren’t expecting multiple flags as the result.

Just because something has become a blitz meme (Myers) doesn’t automatically mean it’s wrong, and Myers hasn’t proved a single doubter wrong this year. At all.

2 Likes

I reckon that Dale Thomas is a reasonable comparison in some respects. Not necessarily in playing style.
But Thomas burst in the scene in his first season and looked very promising. In the next few years he stagnated. Didn’t go backwards, but didn’t develop like people probably expected/hoped.
But then in 2010 he made huge strides. I specifically remember when he was in that stagnation period Malthouse defending him and saying they were teaching him things and giving him roles that would improve him in the long term.
I hope similar happens with Parish.

1 Like