#3 Darcy "Darcy Parish" Parish - Shiel can play forward pocket instead

That would be considered a breakout game by some. According to AFL Player Ratings he has moved to career high ranking. He was rated as our second best player and 5th best on ground several places ahead of Ablett.
But because we played Geelong and we lost, it basically was glossed over, but Ablett, well, he was brilliant. Wow. We already knew that.

2 Likes

Itā€™s the second time this year heā€™s had 11 score involvements too. Yet by my reckoning only the 3rd game in which heā€™s been given significant time on ball.

I canā€™t help but wonder what our start to the year would have looked like if Draper played jlt 1 and spoon fed parish. Where would we be right nowā€¦

1 Like

This. This this this this this.

Considering how poor our defensive structures were after a turnover against Geelong, how bad some of our clearance work was, how vacant our ā€˜leadershipā€™ was, Iā€™m guessing some players offer more than the stats sheet implies.

I think Parish is a gun, I get excited about Francis, debutā€™s are awesome, but thatā€™s not going to fix absolutely everything.

ā– ā– ā– ā–  talking is fun though so meh.

5 Likes

We won both our games with Zac Clarke in, and lost two of the three with Joe Daniher in.

Cherry-picked extrapolations are also fun.

4 Likes

Iā€™m not sure there isnā€™t something in thatā€¦

1 Like

There farkin better not be!

2 Likes

Club not doing Darcy any favors playing him out of position imho
Also how have they managed to coach the arrogance out of him, looks almost timid compared to the little blonde smart ā– ā– ā–  with swagger in his debut year

I feel pretty confident saying Clarke wouldnā€™t have got across the line on Anzac Day if you took Joeyā€™s 4 goals away

1 Like

Honest key position players that create and halve contests are way more valuable than most of us give credit.

Is Joes goals and not much else, better than Clarkā€™s 10+ halved contests.

Clear as day whoā€™s the better player, but heā€™s no where near where he needs to be in terms of being effective for the team.

2 Likes

I think this actually says a lot about our structure. Without Zac Clarke we are expecting Joe to ruck and play CHF. With Zac Clarke our forwards can be forwards, and have actually performed better. *

We were let off a bit with North as they went with one ruck for the entire game.

Obviously Zac Clarke isnā€™t the answer but I reckon youā€™re kind of proving the point. We all think Clarke isnā€™t the best but with him in the team we seem to structure up better.

*Games with two rucks:
Goals average: 17.5

Games with one ruck:
Goals average: 9.6

2 Likes

He is so ā– ā– ā– ā– 

I understand the point.

I just disagree that we structure up better with Myers, this year.

And @Preliminary_Point2, pleaseā€¦

3 Likes

Fwiw I thought the two ruck structure looked good and I was annoyed they brought jd in ahead of Draper against North. I was annoyed they brought Francis in ahead of Draper for the same reason.

/fxd

Iā€™m all for two rucks.

Doesnā€™t mean Zac Clarkeā€™s 10 halved contests are a patch on what Joe brings.

1 Like

I probably agree with you. Thereā€™s got to be a balance between actual output vs ā€˜intangiblesā€™ and structure benefits. Myers actual output has been down, we are desperate for someone to step up and do the other stuff.

1 Like

McGrath has possibly the widest shoulders in our team. Wtf are you smoking.

OK maybe gilding the Lilly, just a tad haha.

I think YTā€™s point is better, we need another KPF in and prefer itā€™s not Joe that rucks.

Clark or Smack Iā€™m pretty impartial, they arenā€™t the star, but just creating contests stops Joe and Stringer being double teamed, gives opportunities for the small forwards. And doesnā€™t bang up Joe in the ruck.

Not really relevant to Parish.

1 Like

Might have something to do with how Parish came in being a lippy cheeky son of a gun after lording it in the under-agers, and then found that almost everyone is bigger and tougher than him in the firstsā€¦a bit like moving from Prep to Grade 1.

Yeah, Iā€™m pretty much same page.

Parish doesnā€™t (seem to) bring the same defensive intangibles as Myers. So we do lose something there, but we make up for it with so much the other way.