#3 Darcy "Darcy Parish" Parish - Shiel can play forward pocket instead

If you have access to Player Tracker data, have a look at Atkins, Miers and Parish’s heatmaps rnd 7/8.

isn’t he also the only player to get 3 brownlow votes off a half of football?

Possibly, dunno.
He was a shell of the player post injury. Was magnificent early days.

Unfortunately he’s also a very nice guy.

As bewildering as it is that parish is not playing in the guts, its pleasing that he is hitting the scoreboard when out of position up forward.
He adds this to his arsenal, then he “should” secure his place in the team.
I just have little confidence that if something “should” happen at the club, that it will actually occur

Pretty much this. Parish is already better than Myers in the midfield. Dave is a liability, his time has come and gone, he is offering less and less with each passing week.

Parish is a better player and still has room to ‘improve,’ Myers does not. Make the call Woosha, Parish stays in, Myers to the Maggoos.

What did the data show ??
Im very curious

No doubt. But he’s still an absolute peanut.

The other thing with this kid (or any kid in the team really) is if you actually give him some midfield time (or bulk time in their best position) , he finds the ball a bit, gets some confidence, he will play better almost where ever you put him. And he learns to adapt in game to give us the flexibility we seem to crave. It’s actually part of “the learnings” at AFL level.

It seems to be all or nothing with us. Either in the guts or buried in a forward pocket all day. We are butchering him.

Yeah if they’re going to play him he should spend at least 50% in the guts. Otherwise there’s no point having him out there. He’s not as effective in other positions.

so he plays forward now that Myers is in. NO WORDS

His hands are ■■■■■■ good…best since Jobe. At least one bad turnover but created a lot too.
If he was 10cm taller it would be a ■■■■ fest

4 Likes

Apart from a few poor kicks I thought he was really good. For whatever reason plays his best footy when Myers isn’t in the team and he gets more midfield time

2 Likes

I think the reason is pretty clear and has been since day one.

The “midfieldiest midfielder to ever midfield” some boffins were saying

Not a bad game. You can see hes trying to use the ball better than he used to.

ffs back him in. tell him he’s playing the next month in the guts. we’ll reap the rewards.

8 Likes

Liked what he brought to the table last night. Once again, Myers out and he plays well. Langford too did his bit. Hopefully Woosha has seen the light. I have my doubts…

3 Likes

Was the soul of the team last night, along with Guelf and Redman.

2 Likes

Played a good outside game last night, ran hard. He just needs to clean up the kicking a bit.

He is a “set and forget” player. Put him in the guts, give him a breather every now and then. Rinse and repeat.
Using Darcy appropriately should be one of the easiest jobs for the selection committee.

1 Like

Just to demonstrate how silly stats are. Last night…

0 clearances
1 contested possession

I can only think that I have got the wrong numbers.