#3 Darcy "Darcy Parish" Parish - Shiel can play forward pocket instead

That’s a diplomatic way of putting it. I could think of dozens of stronger adjectives to use, but won’t.

Pidge is a gun.

4 Likes

and he is just going to get gunnier and gunnier

3 Likes

The next Harry Callahan? :wink:

1 Like

Wavering is what good blitzers do.

2 Likes

Thought Jacob Wavering played for FarkCarlton, not us?

2 Likes

If it’s one thing I reckon Woosha knows, it’s midfielders. He’s worked with a few decent ones over the years. If he reckons Parish had things to work on I’ll back his judgement.

I’ve been (like many) wanting Parish away from the HFF, but I don’t buy this narrative that his growth has been stunted. He’s played 65 games (and unlike Langford has not missed many) this is the period when the magic tends to happen in terms of rapid improvement.

7 Likes

It’s weird how some people think this has stunted his development, whereas they think it’s a great idea for Ridley to play in the guts in the 2’s to round out his development more.

Can’t have it both ways people.

2 Likes

Ridley was a midfielder?

lol. Can’t have it both ways…

He was always primarily a defender wasn’t he?

Always.
Ridley’s body has changed a lot, so along with his marking skills the midfield suddenly became a delightful option.

The idea that we needed to turn a top ten draft pick very midfieldy midfielder into a half forward to progress his development just…blows my mind.

No. That’s…that’s not what that was.
At all.
Not even a little bit.

3 Likes

It’s a little crazy right? We’ve been screaming out for inside mids, yet try to play our best young prospect out of position. The message out of the club for the last year or two is that Parish will become one of the best clearance players in the AFL one day. Wouldn’t his ideal development be to fast track that? Same goes for Francis. He’s clearly a great intercept defender. Just let him be one.

It makes sense for really versatile players like McGrath to move them around through development.

3 Likes

Maybe we didn’t want to break a kid by throwing him in the guts before he was physically ready. Maybe he will be a more complete player long term by having a stronger outside game.

6 Likes

This only makes sense if you Dont drop him every time he doesnt perform when he’s playing in those “development” positions.

2 Likes

Maybe he wouldn’t be playing this well if not for playing elsewhere, maybe his development in the midfield has been delayed by a year by it. Completely unprovable either way. Perfect blitz argument fodder.

2 Likes

That’s like saying we shouldn’t drop Francis because he’s underperforming im the forward line. If dropping him makes the team better and gives him a rev up / better environment to work on something, then dropping a player can be a good thing.

Think Parish should have been used more through the guts, but 100% agree he needed to develop other aspects of his game.

Except we don’t have a glut of good young midfielders who can win their own ball and spread.

Despite Ridleys potential in the backline the reality is we have quite a big surplus of medium/tall defenders and he has shown some midfield talent that we could use.

Yep. Personally I think he needed to realise how much fitness he needed to contribute. The difference after the lay-off with his broken finger last year was huge. In a side with a young midfield, he would have spent more time there. May have developed faster, may have become 1 dimensional, may have been crippled by the bash and crash.

Anyway. He’s doing great now. I’m focusing on that.

He was recruited with the aim of taking a wing role.

I think Ridley and Redman have more midfield potential than Gleeson. Get Gleeson right and back in defence, train R&R to play further up the ground.

That or we trade someone. I’d prefer to keep them.

1 Like

He’s having a break out year and it’s one of the few positives of the year.

Can we stop trying to turn his success into another signal that Woosha cant coach. Celebrate the successes you miserable bastards.

18 Likes