#3 Darcy "Darcy Parish" Parish - Shiel can play forward pocket instead

He is a mid, not a flanker. The returning players farked our development this year. Parish will be a starting mid next year.

1 Like

I sorta agree with what you’re saying in regards to the season as whole, but I thought he showed plenty in the final, when far more experienced teammates showed absolutely fark all.

Led the team for clearances (8, same as Josh Kennedy) and contested possessions on a day where those two things deserted the rest of the team.

He’s wasted playing anywhere but in the guts, imo.

22 Likes

Agree with this. I thought all year we saw the best of him when he played mid and I thought he was starved for those opportunities frankly.

Playing off half forward saw him given much closer attention by a defensively minded player rather than standing him next to a ball hunter who regularly loses contact.

I think we’ll see him explode this year with significantly more midfield time.

His kicking still worries me a bit because it can be a bit floaty at times but his movement through stopagges is excellent. sides will quickly learn to be blocking him at stopagges which should open up a bit more space for Zerret.

11 Likes

BROADENING HIS GAME. COACHES KNOW ALL

4 Likes

For my serious post, his best quarter and subsequently game, was when zach had to go off field for a potentially broken jaw, so darcy had to fill his role and ■■■■■■■ bossed it.

1 Like

@Henry_s_Angry_Pills is right.

I love the lad however I saw someone say they wanted him to become the next Luke Parker. Well Luke Parker contested marks above his head.

Darcy is a 50/50 proposition above his head, and that’s when it is uncontested. It is the weakest part of his game.

1 Like

begley is more likely to become a luke parker.

that someone has nfi.

1 Like

first half, maybe even first quarter of ANZAC day ‘16
Did it twice.

kid plays infront of 100,000 people within his first 10 senior games and has a couple of moments to forget. stop the press.

Try and read the context.
As i said, he ■■■■ himself a number of times last year, but seemigly not at all in 2017. Which is a good thing.

I think he feels pretty natural attacking a ground ball, but he’s not instinctive in the air. No hanging offence but it’s a thing.

1 Like

i did read the context but cant remember any instances of him ■■■■■■■■ himself under the ball in 16, but since you brought up anzac day 2016…

He didn’t ■■■■ himself under the ball… he just dropped a mark he should’ve taken.

He made up for it later in the game.

It isn’t a bravery thing… kid just isn’t great overhead.

1 Like

Think he was given a year to develop his outside / forward game. Inside comes naturally to him, but we need him to be a multi-dimensional player for us long term. If he’s a dangerous option forward, it gives us more flexibility in rotations.

1 Like

He absolutely did: a kick went a bit over his head, he turned, saw a Pies player there running forward, and didn’t even attempt to make a contest. Grog squad end, first or second quarter.
I think it was Sidebottom but I’m not sure: wasn’t some huge behemoth.

The dropped mark was the second one and I think he’d do better there too, if he had his time again.

Correct. I think they’ve worked on rounding him out, pretty successfully.

1 Like

I think it was also to build up his possession count.

He wins the ball easily on the inside but needed to learn where to run to get more of the easy pill.

1 Like

I often hear this said about Buddy , its probably not a show stopper for Darce either.

This is where the parker comparison ends. Parker is great overhead Darce is not. Darce is more adgile though, and probably has quicker hands.

Walla was horrible above his head but has gradually improved to the point its not a massive weakness.

I’m sure Parish can do the same.

1 Like

anyone knocking this kid has no ■■■■■■■ idea really.

10 Likes