Former #30 B. Zerk-Thatcher

I wouldn’t think so.
I don’t think he’s up to it yet, and neither is he far enough up the pecking order.

1 Like

No one is going to like me saying this…but…we don’t really need Mason Fletcher.

Seriously, we have a logjam of KPD’s. If not for the name, I don’t think we would be adding another KPD to the list this year.

And I think it’s unclear at this stage whether Mason is rookie quality.

1 Like

People laughed when I suggested he was in line for a taste of Firsts.
Not as a a KP, but as the third intercepting tall.
He’s got pace, ground balls don’t worry him, and he takes the game on.
As for his weight, have all of you forgotten Fletch when he started?
Yeah, Zerk will lose some body on body, but he doesn’t play that way by choice anyway.

( not suggesting he comes in ahead of Francis )

It’s hardly a logjam when skinny young kpp take years to be ready.

By that time our main kpd will be finished up, one of Brown & Hartley likely traded

I think it’s a given we rookie him

Not much on Gleeson, but Marty can play. Funny how at times it’s the lighter/smaller players show the hardest intent with their tackling and make them stick. Orazio and Zerret being two examples. Zerk looked fine for his size. Plus a smart footballer will work to their strengths and weaknesses.

2 Likes

A KPD probably wouldn’t be high on the priority list for this offseason but I don’t think it’s a bad list management decision to take him. We’ve got:

Hooker
Hurley
Ambrose
Hartley
Zerk
maybe Brown…

Obviously that’s a lot, but he’lll take a few years to be ready anyway. Let’s say it takes him til the start of 2021 to be genuinely competing for a spot:

• Hooker and Hurley will be on their last legs (Hooker in his last season)
  • At least one of Brown and Hartley will be delisted by then, probably both

That only leaves Ambrose and Zerk left. Plenty of need I reckon.

Plus he could do the same as his old man and end up playing in a different position then what he was drafted for.

1 Like

Has a nice turn of speed, also, doesn’t he? Can break out of a tackle and make a surge when needed. Will only get more powerful.

1 Like

If he is a good prospect do we think about moving on Hartley?

Not yet.

1 Like

Hartley is an interesting one. He has moved on from his management company and decided to manage himself. Out of contract at the end of the year and I wouldn’t be surprised if he asks for a trade for more opportunity.

1 Like

Wash your mouth out!

I’d use rookie spot on him as a speculative thing. But that’s all.

1 Like

Disco’s probably wondering if he could play midfield.

Reckon Hartley will end up at the Gold Coast Suns.

Sadly, I think Harts is one of the more tradeable players on our list in terms of return for us and opportunity for him.

On BZT, I couldn’t believe that Dodoro and Keane went for an unknown random tall in last year’s draft when our glaring gap was inside mid. So happy that they did. BZT looks like the real deal.

1 Like

in exchange for Touk Miller and our 2nd rounder? Yes pls.

Interesting the “take a few years to be ready…”

Do we remember his dad? Was holding aloft premiership cups before he started shaving!

Edit: I’m talking about Mason

Can you imagine Zerks preseason? Protein shakes and the weights room. Day after day after day. Sometime in January he will say, “What does a sherrin look like ?”

I must be alone in thinking Zerk is not that small.

I wouldn’t be bulking him up and compromising his agility.

2 Likes

I think they still have his pre-season weight on the website. He would almost certainly have put on a lot since then. But he’s never going to be big-bodied

1 Like