Former #30 B. Zerk-Thatcher

Ok, so when someone has needed a scan, please point to any media article where that scan has had to be delayed due to waiting lists. That should show youā€™re right. As I canā€™t recall any AFL footballer ever having to wait a meaningful amount of time to get a scan.

What weā€™re saying is more information is better than less information.

We are not questioning that they arenā€™t following standard medical procedure. As someone who works with doctors and nurses, and sees heaps of medical malpractice cases, I know very well that medical procedure is frequently rubbish.

What we are saying is that the procedure for elite sportsmen at a rich club shouldnā€™t follow standard procedures, and we should be ultra cautious given the failures weā€™ve seen with our players diagnosis in the past.

As simple evidence, there have been ample articles over the last two decades of how Australian sportā€™s science and health treatments have lagged the best practice at the elite clubs in soccer, NRL and NBA.
So we know for a fact that the AFL has not always been in best practice. So why the hell wouldnā€™t we question this?

2 Likes

Only trouble is, that assertion is complete bullshit.

It would make no improvement in treatment to diagnose it 2 days earlier at all, None Zilch. Zero.

1 Like

A fkn stupid ridiculous ignorant bow at that.

Read my lips
People who need scans have to wait, regardless of their health insurance cover.
I donā€™t need a media article - I, and many others I know, have first hand experience of this.
You are wrong - for once suck it up
( which I canā€™t recall you ever doing)

Meanwhile back to Zerk - letā€™s see if heā€™s named on Thursday for the weekend game - that might settle an argument or two.

1 Like

Has the club confirmed the scans yet?

1 Like

Scans will only happen next week once they realise treatment for a corkie isnā€™t working. But hey what could have we done to work that out soonerā€¦

1 Like

So why are AFL footballers all at Olympic Park getting scans on a Monday for things that happened over the weekend? Are you saying they book in that morning and receive a spot straight away? Or maybe just maybe they get priority treatment in terms of when they get it.

2 Likes

Surprisingly thereā€™s no magical dedicated AFL hospital for the ~300 AFL players in Melbourne. They go to normal private hospitals, wherever their preferred ortho has a list at.

Neither is there a separate, cash only imaging clinic.

Thereā€™s simply no market for it.

1 Like

Ah yes, the Essington method

1 Like

Re: scanning at Olympic park.
Saw a Sports Dr (at Olympic Park) roughly this time last year for an ankle injury.
Sent me next door for an MRI which I had 10 minutes later and cost me nothing as it got bulk billed.
Sometimes itā€™s who you know.

@WindsockBoy @redbull

5 Likes

Yep. I imagine the AFL club doctors have these contacts as well - part of the reason they have their job. Hence players are always scanned when needed - other than in Zerk-Thatcherā€™s case.

1 Like

Yup.
Libbaā€™s ankle in 2016 is a good example.
Club Dr called the surgeon on the way home from the game and had it operated on the next day (Saturday, a day many private surgeons donā€™t even work).
Anyone who believes we get treated equally based on our private health coverage is extremely naive.
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/coupler.foxsports.com.au/api/v1/article/amp/afl/the-story-behind-tom-liberatores-remarkable-recovery-to-play-in-2016-afl-premiership-for-the-bulldogs/news-story/700b462a4873aecf2e49a17f7ab02642

2 Likes

Waitā€¦ why are you going against tradition of the last 400 posts and talking about Zerk in this thread?

2 Likes

Not sure how bad his injury is but itā€™s unfortunate timing given Ambroseā€™s injury. Not saying heā€™d be an automatic inclusion but heā€™d be damn close. Especially if the plan is to play Hooker forward more often.

Apparently, he was named in the VFL squad for this weekends game.

2 Likes

Iā€™m such a slacker.

1 Like

You are. I had to go to the club site to find the team

And now Iā€™m re-watching the last quarter rather than doing my duty.

I reckon we throw Zerk in soon and play Hooker forward.

Need to find out if he can play at AFL level

1 Like

I had exactly the same a few years back. Immediate scan at no cost. Two weeks back my son had a scan for a bad ankle, had to book as there were no slots available. Re the charge/gap, got some back but still paid about $200 for the MRI I think, more than my bulk billed $0.

The doc did comment that the imaging centre is always chockers on Mondays, and not necessarily AFL- they get everything from u12 netballers to dirt-biking tradies who wreck things on the weekend.

For pretty much all these injuries though you are non weight bearing and RICE ing regardless, so waiting for a scan really makes no difference unless you really stuff up the diagnosis. For my son the initial GP said it was just a rolled (low) ankle, but I knew it wasnā€™t. Was a syndesmosis (high ankle) for which any early attempt at weight bearing might have caused more damage because of bone movement over cartilage. Sports docs at footy clubs arenā€™t making that GP mistake.