Former #30 Patrick Ryder - we dodged the bullet

Maybe I’m a lil slow but I don’t see how ben is being egotistical.

Offers a opinion. It is open for interpretation. Big deal.

Good poster!

Benfti=Cerberus

paddy loves the club, but he loves his family too…i dunno if he will stay or leave, but he is at a crossroads and in a very hard situation

I'm getting the impression from Ben again (may be very wrong here) may not even be players related. THat there may be the lack of support to  aboriginal players atm.

His references to get Longy on the phone to him  make me think  maybe  thats it too,  as well as his  notes on Paddy being a soft target for ASADA, and perhaps EFC not following up the advice nights well enough. An understanding of the  abriginal community so management can relate to  those players where they are at.

I mentioned to someone last week that ess, after all the work that sheeds did acknowledging indigenous players etc, that we seem to be losing them at the rate of knots. This is just my opinion, don't know if it is correct or not, I may be making a mountain out of a molehill

I'm getting the impression from Ben again (may be very wrong here) may not even be players related. THat there may be the lack of support to  aboriginal players atm.

His references to get Longy on the phone to him  make me think  maybe  thats it too,  as well as his  notes on Paddy being a soft target for ASADA, and perhaps EFC not following up the advice nights well enough. An understanding of the  abriginal community so management can relate to  those players where they are at.

I mentioned to someone last week that ess, after all the work that sheeds did acknowledging indigenous players etc, that we seem to be losing them at the rate of knots. This is just my opinion, don't know if it is correct or not, I may be making a mountain out of a molehill

I'm not sure you get to call 'don't know if it's correct or not' on this.

You can see whether it's correct or not.

These last few pages are doing everyone less favours than the rest of the thread put together, keeping in mind how ■■■■ the thread is generally.

Well if Ryder demps leaves, we got Edwards.

Pretty vanilla list if that happens.......

If there is any professional club that has done better work with aboriginal players than Essendon, please let me know because i cant think of one. We have been trend setters, especially in the AFL.

Benberus
  1. Web definitions
    1. (Greek mythology) the three-headed dingo guarding the entrance to Hades; son of Typhon

When Paddy was playing 1 good game every 5 games we stuck by him

It’s not impossible to be unhappy with the club and still exceed on the field.

I’d hate to see this go down the path of race.

I understand that indigenous players feel a certain kinship or brotherhood (regardless of who they play for) but you’d think that would apply to every Essendon footballer.

The way these guys have held together through extraordinary circumstances deserves the highest praise. Surely your teammates, regardless of background or race, are the ones best placed to understand the pressures and anxieties of the saga.

It’s a shame that Paddy won’t have the day to day support of Leroy et al but wouldn’t that be the same for any player whose best mate has moved/been moved on? Would Paddy get more support from a new club than he has at Essendon? Would he be held in higher regard by a new bunch of supporters than he is by us?

Genuine questions…I don’t pretend to have a clue.

Never happened. This consistency stuff is crap. Point me to any year where he wasn't good nearly every game and ill give you my house.

Never happened. This consistency stuff is crap. Point me to any year where he wasn't good nearly every game and ill give you my house.

2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

1 Like

2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
2010-2012 he kicked 65 goals in 59 games. Playing second ruck most if the time, sometimes third when we were playing three guys. Averaged about the 20 h/os still. More touches, marks and tackles a game too.
Was good to very good most games. Just because his talent it elite he gets judged very very hard.

Ben? l wouldn't single him out, not after all the ■■■■-eyed lame excuses and theories that have been floating around in this thread for the past week. There has been some of the worst dribble l have read in a long time in here, even worse than the FASADA Sag thread at times. 

Sauce?

And the other years he was a key defender, playing good footy for a very young guy. The other was the year Hille went down and he won the Anzac Day medal and carried the ruck all season from then on as a 21 (?) year old.

The last 24 hours I've run into 3 AFL players, by chance all of them Essendon. Jobe was at the Middle Park Hotel last night, I ran into Zaka at the Emporium this afternoon, and in between times bumped into Hooksy at a suit shop in Little Collins Street.

He was there getting a fitting for a new suit to wear to the AA awards. As he's received an invite he's confident that he got the gig.

I asked him about Paddy and he was more upfront than I expected. His first reply basically was "actually I think he might go". He confirmed it was Paddy's missus who wants to relocate to Brisbane, and then we both commented why would you want to go there? Wont be playing finals.

I said something along the lines of how well we've done considering all the ■■■■ the team has had to deal with and it's only going to get better now, and he agreed, "that's what we've been telling Paddy."

Nice bloke.

you should have asked if theyre picking up Ricky Mott

Thanks Caliban

Gotta disagree about the finals but…with the addition of Paddy and a healthy list Brisbane will be competitive and certainly could sneak in the lower half of the 8 next year.

Thanks Caliban
Gotta disagree about the finals but......with the addition of Paddy and a healthy list Brisbane will be competitive and certainly could sneak in the lower half of the 8 next year.

they still have alot of work to do, the main thing is that they look like an AFL standard team at the moment. which you cant say for other clubs