#4 Kyle Langford — not our worst in possibly our worst

Heard the same thing in the past from people about Lucas and Stanton. Bashing a player in the moment is so easy. No one calls you up on it if a player proves you wrong in the future.

1 Like

Well I won’t be calling him up on it, forgot to get his number.

Looks slow out there. Struggling with the pace of the game a bit. I thought he was a bit better last light, he seemed to get more of it. Kicked a very important goal. Needs more games at AFL level, not sure we gain much putting him in vfl until a replacement is knocking down the door

Worst player in last 30 years ? Must not have seen Shane Harvey.

2 Likes

Yeah, he’s had a ordinary start to the year. Don’t see a like for like replacement for him though

I don’t think like for like matters when replacing a 3rd year player.

Guy in front of you, hey?

I thought he started poorly, eventually worked himself into the game and kicked an important one in the last.

Absolutely hopeless? Nah.

9 Likes

Hmm…

What about thinking outside the square, Ants ?

Could we try McKenna in Langford’s spot ?

Or try SMacK there, once Leuey is back ?

2 Likes

Lol.

2 Likes

I think it was in the last quarter where he was running into goal and kicked it along the ground and missed. That did my head in.

If we had a full list to choose from would he be getting a game? I don’t think so on current form.

4 Likes

I didn’t hate his game this week. Got a LOT more involved. Made a LOT more mistakes doing it, but a lot more good passages of play too. He almost plays like he’s a 19 year old in game number 25 or something, it’s weird.
If we start dropping kids who make a few stuff-ups, then we’re going backwards.

24 Likes

I agree. He has the capacity to launch that goal post height. Its not like it was a vacant goal square either. There was a player who probably would have touched it.

Id like to see a lot more c… aggression from him in general. Particularly with tackling. He should have a target of 6 tackles a game to get himself into the mix of where he needs to get. He has to be an inside mid drifting forward. Hes too slow to play outside mid running to space.

That’s it. I’m pretty happy with the balance of the current team and if someone is putting together a few great games in the vfl then we can reward whoever is in form. I’ve seen two vfl matches and Howlett aside, there isn’t anyone who has demanded a game yet.

I agree to a extent but not Gleeson. He’s well and truly established. And he was vert poor last night. Wouldn’t drop him yet but if he’s like that against the blues, he shouldn’t be getting a game

I try to stay positive about things. But everytime i see this guy play i cant work out how he gets games. Not sure what his strenghts are. His set shots are decent i suppose. But he seems quite weak in most facets of the game. Hopefully he develops. Maybe I’m being harsh.

Keep sending him up.

6 Likes

Could not agree with this any more.
We don’t need to be slashing the old guys left right & centre, but I think it’s wise to err on the side of persisting with good kids.
The 12 coming back make us competitive again, but real improvement only comes through youth.

Flag number #17 doesn’t come through reactively dropping talented kids every time they make a mistake or two. I’d rather than make a mistake than be scared to try.

3 Likes

I think he needs to simplify his game right now. That grubber kick for me was the sign of a cluttered mind, complicating something that should have been easy.

The other aspect is waning intensity - he seems red hot sometimes, and other times seems to drift off.

I’m a fan in general. Think he will be a player and games like last night a part of the journey until he makes it. Growing pains. I’d persist - he’ll be good.

2 Likes

Fark me. I didn’t realise we were splitting hairs, here.

1 Like

Keep doing unflattering impersonations of him?

1 Like