#4 Kyle Langford — not our worst in possibly our worst

It’s much harder to get into the game playing forward than mid. Langers is finding that out. Being beaten in I50 2:1 (guesstimate), having the ball dumped in with little thought, and the conditions did not help. We didn’t have a winner on the forward line all day.

That said, I think a spell in the twos will do him good. He can play midfield, get his hands on the ball, and get his confidence back. Last time he went back to VFL he was a class above the rest.

I agree with those who say he needs to lift his intensity, but I’ve got no issues with his courage. He will stand under a high ball, accept a hit and put his head over it when required. It’s his off the ball stuff that he needs to improve.

4 Likes

Because Hartley wasn’t dropped for 1 bad game. He was replaced by Brown because we thought the matchups worked better that way.

1 Like

If it is stated over and over again on blitz it becomes fact.

1 Like

so we don’t take notice of parish or ambrose yesterday?

Or is this just another case of we’re not allowed to criticise a 6 possession game and run with “he’ll come good” for another week? That’s three weeks in a row he’s been very average and I still thought after the Brisbane game he deserved another crack, but he was again poor yesterday.

He’s not being judged on yesterday’s game, I’d say most are disappointed with his season to date and he deserves a spell in the 2s to find form

3 Likes

You reckon he was in front, but calling for a loopy floater in behind his man?

Sounds realistic.

Agree with all of this.

Agree.

Look at Melksham and now Zaharakis for instance.

Gifting games to players who don’t deserve it = stagnating a players development.

2 Likes

I’m saying we should completely disregard yesterday.

If you thought he deserved 1 more game after Brisbane, then that should still stand. And if people felt he should have been dropped after Brisbane (or Hawks) then that should stand too. But yesterday shouldn’t be used to cement anyone’s opinion.

Personally, i think he has enough potential and current ability to play around 16 games for us this year. He isn’t a lock, and it wouldnt hurt to give someone else a crack and let him work hard in the twos for a few weeks, but im not sure who comes in for him either.

We need to work on our team chemistry, and bringing in different player type isnt going to help that. Who is our other medium tall mid fwd, who is fit and has done a full load in the pre season?

I also wonder what he is like at training. If the coaches give him a list of things they want to see improve at training and he does them all then I can see why he keeps getting picked.

1 Like

That’s rubbish. Disregard the game because it rained and heaps played ■■■■.

3 Likes

Hawks got hammered by 86 points against GC, I wouldn’t be talking up put reserves if they can’t get a game in our senior team

its pretty much him or Francis isn’t it? And Francis is touch and go whether he’s fit. Stewart is not the same player, nowhere near, changes the whole balance.

FWIW VFL peeps saying Francis pulled up extremely well after the game Saturday. Covered more ground than ever and pretty fresh.

11 Likes

I’d definitely be playing Francis this week because it’s a great fit - playing back in his hometown, and he has a bit of attitude which we’re lacking a little of right now. I’m tipping he’ll be in.

As for Langford, I’m a fan and reckon he’ll be dominant in 3-4 years. Having said that, outside a few nice things he’s been pretty ordinary this year so far. Giving him a run in the seconds might be good for him - blow out the cobwebs playing him in the action.

Ultimately it’s going to be about match-ups.

5 Likes

As a number of others have referred to, it’s not just yesterday, he’s had three pretty flat games. He was rubbish yesterday like about 10 others. Someone earlier was comparing his game yesterday to Fantasia. Yep, both were pretty rubbish.

But rounds 1 and 2 gives Raz a fairly solid pass mark.

1 Like

“Nick Stevens is the loopy floater”

1 Like

Thought a lot said he was underwhelming still

Has not performed as required over the 3 rounds so far. Send him down and give someone a chance. There is no use in having selection depth, if we don’t test it to our advantage.

5 Likes

It’s interesting, in the eyes of Blitz that when Langford is playing well he’s the calm and composed and when he’s not he’s lazy and lacks intensity and yet nothing about his demeanour changes at all.

4 Likes

Paddy Ryder MkII

Laconic/RACIST.

Massively lid-off for Langford, will be a very good player. Have no issue wirh dropping him this week either, has not given enough over three games.

My only dispute is with those who decide to critique the player with destabilising comments such as ‘he’s worrying’, ‘very concerning’, ‘would want to start showing something soon’ etc. It adds little to the discussion aside from revealing peoples inability to translate their emotional response into a coherent opinion.

5 Likes