#4 Kyle Langford — not our worst in possibly our worst

I dunno, im worried that, like zoolander, he may not be an ambi-turner

3 Likes

iirc went to the back pocket.

And while he waits the opposition resets their defensive structures…

I’m not saying he’s not going to make it, he’s got some great skills and is much more decisive closer to goal.

BUT quick decision making is a critical part of quick ball movement.

Agreed but that is the problem with this clip, you don’t know what was in up the ground.

You can’t tell from the video footage. He ended up kicking to a 50/50, which lead to a turnover and a mark inside 50 for a shot on goal.

The clip is not conclusive… but it’s illustrative of a general issue that he has.

Hooksy came good in the end.

& Langers will make a really good HFF.

Mate

We all have issues thank goodness or it would be a boring old place. The kid is most likely highly intelligent, driven , learning and desperate to be better ie 11 tackles an area to improve. He is " class" and again showed plenty of it yesterday

Has done that more than once. Marks the ball and tells everyone to settle down as If we need to maintain possession of the ball in the last 30 seconds of the game.

I think he’ll make it too. He leads well and finds space in the F50. He’s a good mark and great kick for goal. But, he has decision making issues when played as a mid.

Maybe he’ll get over it - I recall that David Myers took a while to adjust to the speed of AFL football - maybe he won’t.

Backline in the Magoos

Mate Langers will be a ripper he will influence so many wins - and again he is not stock standard which is what will be rock solid good about him. It stands out

So…
Langers makes his best decisions after a blind turn while no one is on the mark.

He may not be the next Fyfe or the next Pendelbury, but at least he’s a chance to be the next Shaun Edwards.

EFA.

Maybe.

Just maybe.

A tall-ish guy who at one point seemed like a good mark and reliable kick for goal might not be a midfielder.

7 Likes

Where is my Mayne giff?

But…
But…
But…
He’s the next Fyfe!
His palm readings say so.

https://media4.giphy.com/media/v8lsuxG9LEPUk/giphy.gif

2 Likes

This week highlights my concerns. As a forward this year his performances have been ok. He’s been so close to good & just some last second decision have cost him 3-4 goals he should have kicked. Based on that time in the forward line he should not have been dropped. However, its the time in the midfield where he’s been almost useless which I believe is the reason he’s been dropped. The double whammy is that I believe its this attempt to make him a mid when he either simply isn’t or isn’t ready that’s hurt his forward play & his confidence. My fear is we end up ruining his confidence & he fails to ever become good in either position. Worse still we drive him out of the club & he become the dangerous forward I believe he is at another club. We’ve spent that last 15 years trying to put square pegs in round holes & I don’t think its worked. Trying to turn Kepler into Fletch, trying to turn Johnson & Solly & then every back flanker that followed into mids. We’ve ended up with continuing problems in both areas. Langford has played above average football as a forward, he has not played what I would consider competitive as a mid at this level. His body language & performances this year make me believe his development is being effected.

4 Likes

Spot on. Lang deserves a chance to show a lot less.

I’ve seen enough of Langers to be convinced his main adversary is his confidence. Not only does he have great talent, he also knows it, in my opinion. I think that he lacks the confidence to make mistakes, take it on regardless, trust his instincts (and other assorted cliches). My very talented son is similar. He will at times, not take something on because he is worried it won’t come out as well as he hopes. Sometimes, you just have to go for it. Otherwise, you never achieve the heights that you may have.

3 Likes