#4 Kyle Langford — not our worst in possibly our worst

He was feeling a little tired.

So our forwards we want to play in the midfield, our defenders we want to play up forward, and our midfielders we want to play on the back-flanks. Oh and one of our rucks should be a forward because he’s not tall enough to ruck and we can’t find a spot anywhere else.

5 Likes

Make the changes.

It won us a flag in 84.

2 Likes

Fixed.

1 Like

Nice work

Unashamed fan of this kid but very disappointed in the plateau in his development after such a strong preseason. After last year and with his preseason he should’ve been a lock for ~20 games this year, even with the returning players creating more competition for spots. Everything pointed to a breakout year, quite the contrary though at this stage. I’m sure he’ll get his ■■■■ into gear at some stage but very underwhelming from him thus far.

Preseason he was getting serious midfield minutes as other key inside mids were being rotated.

In the season proper he’s played as a 3rd tall fwd who pinch hits in midfield for a 5 minutes a quarter.

It’s clearly obvious why his preseason form has not translated into real season.

Literally waiting for Watson, Heppell, Goddard & now Myers to miss to be put into a key midfield rotation.

I’d rather him playing full time inside mid in 2’s over bit part HFF/mid in 1’s as it’s far better for his development as an inside mid. His tackle numbers have been impressive in 2’s when he in the guts also.

4 Likes

He worries me a little. He looks as though he could do with an injection, yes I know, of fast twitch fibres. He’s playing like Fyfe on tranquillisers. I really hope his intensity can match his talent.

2 Likes

I just felt from his preseason output he was showing all the hallmarks of breaking to the mid rotations permanently and forcing somebody else out. Evidently he’s not quite there yet. Obviously the coaches have seen areas he needs to improve before forcing somebody out but also Goddard’s form being just so damn good means they’re not moving him to the wing/flank to allow Langford in. Different Forward mix also with the 2 genuine talls and mosquito brigade, as opposed to Daniher, Langford, Fanta and nothing else last year squeezes him out of the forward line.

Definitely agree that the concentrated midfield minutes in the 2’s will serve him well going forward.

1 Like

I reckon his top end speed is vastly superior to jobe, Myers, hepp or bj and i reckon his cruising speed is better too

4 Likes

Myers can get going. Horrid acceleration and not much side to side, but when he stretches out he can move. Langford moves like a mid for mine. He’s got that lateral step that (if coupled with awareness and disposal) should allow him to get off handballs in congestion.

1 Like

Langford will be a gun HFF.

Checked a link from earlier in the thread…

He comes from the Northern Knights and can jump, do it at ground level, kick goals and be used all over the ground. So there’s going to be comparisons between Langford and young Western Bulldogs star Marcus Bontempelli.

Bontempelli will probably end up more of a midfielder than Langford, who has shown his best form across half-forward, but there are similarities at times with their raw talent.

The above was one statement about him during the draft. Maybe he just isn’t going to be the midfielder we were hoping he’d be.

As far as I’m concerned…
He’s tracking just as expected. He was drafted with a thin body frame so we knew he needed time. He has not shown that hunt and want for the footy like most inside footballers have that allow them to impact the game (Laverde and Francis have it but they can’t get on the park) so he’ll also need time to learn how to use his body shape to his advantage. David Hille was the same and took some time to come good.

I don’t see him turning into Pendelbury, Bontempelli or Fyfe but think he could turn into a Blumfield or Caracella type player who can assist the midfield and forward line. Whether that’s the kind of player we need right now is another question.

To me, he’s tracking as I’d expect him to track.

2 Likes

I don’t get the whole “plateau” thing. I think it’s more of a shock horror revelation that development isn’t linear like we’d all like it to be.

Kids just take time, especially when they put on 15 kgs and have to learn to play a new position at the elite level…

Would be in the side every week for mine.

10 Likes

Bring him in!

LOL… Blitz comes around…without The Langford even playing last weekend…just the passing of time to restore the wounded optimism…

3 Likes

I’ve had the same policy on him all the way through

2 Likes

35 touches, seven marks, four tackles and 2 goals. LID IS OFF! BRING. HIM. IN.

3 Likes

Yeah but what did his hair look like at the end of the game?

And did he look intense? Who cares about possessions, he’s got to look the part.

2 Likes