#4 Kyle Langford — not our worst in possibly our worst

Doesn’t have enough mongrel to be a mid he’s a wing/forward type.

Worth pointing out if you made a team that Blitz wanted dropped / sacked / traded / swapped ends this year, we’d have no McKenna, no Hooker, no Joe, no bellchambers, no Zaha. All in our best players this week or last.
We don’t know ■■■■.

I feel pretty confident when the coaches have a medium term plan for guys.

10 Likes

Dogs are barking, … like they always bark before they have egg on their face.

“He didn’t get best on 1st game in, … he’s shitt!” “Will never be … etc” … fkn :yawn:

Some gimps never learn.

2 Likes

Does it ever get lonely up there on your pedestal?

8 Likes

He’s really, really slow. Really slow. I’d cop the VFL-pace excuse more easily if I’d ever seen him move quickly before.

5 Likes

Happy with his game, especially as he showed signs he understands footy is a 360 degree game.

2 Likes

See, I don’t think he’s Watson / Heppell / Myers slow. He has zero acceleration, sure, but in the clear when he’s got going he’s got a few gears.

I don’t see that as the issue though. You can be a slow inside midfielder (hell, most are), but if you are you need to either be:

• Ferocious in your attack on the ball and opponent, or
  • Have elite ability in reading the play and quick decison making.

He doesn’t seem to have either of these atm.

As you know I’m a fan, and I really, really want to be wrong on this (the list needs a big bodied inside mid in his age bracket), but I’m just seeing a guy who now can’t do the things he used to do well, because he’s trying to do something not in his skill set.

3 Likes

On “Been there” rock?? No, I got plenty of mates here, … and It never gets less amusing.

As HAP (I think) said, … how many players have certain blitzers written off early just this year alone, that they now fap over??

You’d think they’d learn, … but …

Yeah I wanna be wrong too but likewise I don’t see what he brings to the table that counters his glaring deficiencies. And we could probably carry another “slow but skilled” player if Hep and Jobe weren’t already in the team.

I’d still be happy to carry him for another, say, 70 games…

1 Like

I thought he was ok.

5 score involvement is high, he took the first half to get the pace of the game a bit but worked his way into it. Had he nailed those two chances we would be singing his praise.

Certainly worth persisting with.

7 Likes

I know right? Remember all those people who said Kavanagh, NOB, Jerrett, Steinberg, Dell (sorry Peets, couldn’t resist) etc. Would never make it? They must be red faced right now. I mean, more players don’t make it than those who do, that’s just the way it works.

See, I’m of the belief that everybody who gives an opinion on footy runs at about 50% accuracy. You win some, you lose some, but it all evens out in the end. Which is why I don’t call people I disagree with ‘dogs’ or ‘gimps.’ Because they are just obsessed footy fanatics like me, yelling opinions at the internetz. There ain’t nothing special about my opinions, and I hate to break it you… Yours either.

6 Likes

Fair enough. Bad term for saying “someone whos judging way too early” I s’pose,

But fair dinkum, … he’s been back for one bluddy game, … anyone who writes off a guy already on the strength of that is a “Silly”.?

.*I wasn’t calling anyone a dog, btw. … I was saying the hound pack is howling, not sure how that was unclear.

I’m ok with “silly” :+1:

So I’ll go back to my pre game post re expectations;
Got the 15 or so possessions but not all of them useful
Had only the one tackle, and several that didn’t stick.
Didn’t use his size to really block or shepard.
Missed his couple of goals.

So I’m disappointed. Not writing him off - as others have said the pace and intensity is a big jump, and hopefully throwing him in the deep end against the Swine will pay dividends against the Bears next week.
He has really clean hands outside and was prepared to try creative options.
But if he could play with Lonergans or Myers desperation and mongrel we’d have a winner.

1 Like

Compared to Howlett, Langford & Myers? Bird’s 2016, in the worst side in the comp, was better than any season those 3 have produced. Now of course Langford has a lot of footy in front of him so I can understand a case for him getting games, even though he’s never produced as a mid, but I just can’t see what Myers & Howlett offer that Bird can’t. He is a better midfielder than both & our midfield is extremely weak. Bird is not going to suddenly take our midfield from worst to best, he’s only a short term filler, but he’s a better short term filler than the guys getting games ahead of him & its costing us games. Its frustrating because there seems no logic to it.

His disposal is worse than mine, and I mean now not 40 years ago.

I am faster than him, well I was 40 years ago

I think quicker than him, even with dementia setting in

I don’t have his courage or hardness, and never did.

What I would like to know is why Parish was not picked and why not have McGrath or Connor spend time in the middle, and pBring back Dea.

1 Like

Came in for Myers and performed as well, if not slightly better, as Myers has for the past few weeks. He gets another week.

The good thing is we have Brisbane so he can test himself against Martin, Rocky, Beams and Zorko who are all elite… If it looks like he doesn’t have it against them we can get in Rocky’s ear in the second half and tell him there’s a spot in the mid field for him round one next year :grinning:

Trade

1 Like