#4 Kyle Langford — not our worst in possibly our worst

I think he is on par with Hepp & Myers, who I don’t think are as ‘slow’ as people (and the whole myth) make out.

1 Like

I reckon Heppell is slower than people make out.

Myers can be hard to judge sometimes.

2 Likes

Never been a fan of Langford - trade.

3 Likes

Hepp tends to ‘lope’ a bit. Is a bit gangly. Thinks while running. Doesn’t really ‘burst’. But he isn’t that slow. He relies on evasion instead of speed, and that’s partly why he comes across as slow. But anyway - agree to disagree.

3 Likes

What I don’t understand with him is he isn’t super tall so why is it that he has the decision making ability and movement of a sloth?

I understand he is young but he just doesn’t read the play overly well at senior level. He isn’t damaging by hand or foot and his defensive efforts/pressure is almost non existent.

BenFTI summed it up well with me last night. He looks like a footballer unlike Irish, yet Irish is working out how to be a successful footballer in a far shorter timespan.

I haven’t quite out the red mark through him but he’d want to show further development soon or I’d trade him whilst he has some sort of currency being a higher draft pick.

I’ve never had an issue with his speed, but one of the slowest blokes in the league burned him off last night.

I still think he Can make it. I’m not sure if he will.

1 Like

I rarely, if ever, comment about Langers.
I reckon he is still growing into his body, and it will take a few years to see him shine.

Woosha put him on Kennedy as a learning exercise I’m sure, but it probably cost us the game, I don’t think having a specific tagger like Hocking would have helped reduce Kennedy’s number of disposals, but you would think it would reduce his effectiveness as he would have been under the pump on every disposal. He had space & time on the majority of his disposals.
He appears too laconic to be a midfielder & sits back too much. I prefer 2 of our blokes going for the loose ball & banging into each other, rather than both of them sitting back & waiting for the other.

trade

1 Like

Nah.

Structural failure at the end cost us. Gleeson in the goal square,? Wtf harvey?

Horrendous skill execution cost us. Goddard hello? Raz 1 goal 4? Joe? Langford had 2 gettable shots. If even one of these things went differently we wouldve one.

Myers can get up to a pretty decent clip, but his acceleration and lateral movement are teeeeerrible. Hence why his only option when he gets a clearance is fend off or get the hands free to dish, he’s got no confidence he can get around anyone.

I don’t think Langford is either quick or slow. He moves smoothly through congestion and gets to enough right places anyway.

2 Likes

Didn’t you spend all week wrangling with Ants about how “almost” and “could have” is bullshit when discussing a player’s performance?

Fair point. Also fair to say R gray & C Wingard would have slightly different expectations to K Langford?

Nobody’s saying K Langford is there yet, just tgat he shows enough to go on with for a few more weeks yet.
Eventually the grand plan must be Parish and Langford take those last 2 mid spots.

3 Likes

I thought it was promising but let down by a few moments.

Right now his “traits” can be viewed as a positive or negative.

But 20 years old, yet to play 30 games. He’ll make it, imo. At worst a useful marking HF.

3 Likes

This thread is that predictable it’s not funny.

Watch you all suck him off once he’s played more than a fkn hour of senior footy in the guts whilst his opposite number in JPK torches the whole game, and after 6 (?) weeks of VFL no less.

He just needs time. This is what we’re talking about when we say “play the kids.” Welp… when you do that you need to be patient. At least more than “one game” patient

EDIT: Let’s just stop and think for a second. I came here after the loss and there’s 74 fkn unread posts in the Langford thread of all threads. REALLY?

12 Likes

Not worth a ■■■■ full of cold water. Trade bait at best.

1 Like

I don’t see it with him and never have. Is nothing more than a average player and the only time he’s ever looked good, is forward

5 Likes

I still don’t know why he isn’t seen to be a fully fledged forward; that’s what he fkg is! Everything he’s shown at the top level - albeit only glimpses mainly, has been as a forward

2 Likes

Same could be said of Fanta
They think he can be more. That hurts a little in the here and now, both when he gets outworked at the clearance and when we’ve had to try 4 guys in the 3rd forward spot.

But I’m fine with that. We need that medium term planning and vision, we need to keep evolving and challenging these young guys.

1 Like

Langford for Myers = breakeven

1 Like