#4 Kyle Langford — not our worst in possibly our worst

Yep.
The question is:
Langford by round 18??? vs Myers

Cos Myers ain’t improving much from here on in.

2 Likes

Or, bird could be taken out of the cannon and given a fkn go. You don’t need to really do that much to offer more than Myers or Langford

2 Likes

This is it. Do we burn a few games to get Langford up or go for broke this year and then do all the development at the start of next year. I’m happy to leave him in and stay on the development path rather than be tempted by some fairy tale this year.

1 Like

Mate I’ve been saying this for months, the club would rather play Howlett, Myers, Stanton or any of the returning underachievers.

Agree. Occasionally Hep will look like he has a bit (and I do mean a “bit”) of speed on the outside which seems to trick people, but even in space most of the time he looks like Jobe.

Myers has a bit more speed but has fark all acceleration, which given he isn’t remotely an outside type player means the only time you really see him build up any speed is chasing someone (which often isn’t all that useful anyway).

I’ve seen enough.

MEH.

5 Likes

Well, … colour me surprised … (genuinely)

You really think so Doz?

I could not agree more. I don’t see why we are continually beating this Langford as a mid drum? He is a third tall and could be a ■■■■■■ good one. Put Lavarde in the guts not Langford.

1 Like

Continually got 30 possessions in the Twos as a 20 yr old inside mid.

Has an average against one of the best inside teams.

Give him a few weeks ffs!!!

16 Likes

People are so impatient. The guy he played on for a bit Friday - Kennedy - was a F/S selection for Hawthorn, but never got going there. I wanted him when he was traded to the Swans (we took Williams instead) because he had a good size and thought showed something. Hawthorn obviously disagreed, and while he has flourished at the Swans he wasn’t an overnight success.

Langford has the same tools that Kennedy has. What he doesn’t have yet is the experience, the instinctive game sense, or the confidence of being an established player. I think any judgement on him is premature at this stage, and it’s unlikely we’ll really see that ability shine consistently for another 20-30 games. It’ll come though, I reckon.

17 Likes

Josh Kennedy is a very good comparison. I don’t know if he played midfield in VFL or whether he had great form in VFL, but at AFL level, he didn’t play much midfield for memory and to me looked like a half forward flanker or third tall forward.

The big difference between them is that Kennedy (even early in his career) had a Thurston for the contest at AFL level. I’m yet to see that in Langford, hence I think he’s a slow burn like David Hille who didn’t get to show his best until he put on some muscle and learnt how to use it to his advantage.
Langford isn’t assured to be a superstar, but he’s not worth giving up on yet.

2 Likes

Langford has the same tools as Kennedy? Wouldn’t be like blitz to overrate a kids skill set. I have seen zero to suggest they are even remotely similar players. First of all, Kennedy Is as hard as fkn nails. I’m not saying Langford will not make it, i m really 50/50 about him though, but let’s not compare him to Kennedy. They are nothing at all alike in the way they play

2 Likes

But if you don’t build them up with silly comparisons, how do you tear them down for not using said skills to win 4 brownlows?

1 Like

I reckon josh Kennedy is the best inside midfielder of the last decade. He’s been superb for a long time

1 Like

I think you meant ’ had a’thirstin’ ’

The comparison is more how they developed.
As I said, Langford doesn’t have a thirst for the contest to be compared to any current inside midfielder. He’s been hesitant to get into a contest since he was crunched in the North game early in his career.
That to me is the biggest doubt on whether he’ll make it as an inside midfielder.
He’s more comfortable in one on one marking contests.

Ablett, Judd, Dangerfield would like a word.

I always thought he was going to be good but he is glacially slow. And it’s not just the movement it’s the slow decision making that is the problem.
He looks like a deer in the headlights playing in a fog.

I hope he improves but …
Even Myers, even Jerret are both faster on the field and faster to make a decision.

1 Like

Kennedy had played 3 games up til the age Langford is now
J watson 10
Neither of them had remotely the same situation, but still, guys can take time and still be good, even substantially better than good.
It’s interesting that we’re perfectly happy for a 192cm key player to take time, but a 190cm guy who has to develop midfield running…

8 Likes

Can you remember Jobe’s first 3-4 years?