#4 Kyle Langford — not our worst in possibly our worst

FReo had stuff all idea what to do with him either
He played virtually chf one year when they put Pav to midfield and he fizzled
2nd ruck / fwd one year and he was kinda sorta arguably ok
Played some decent games where they just let him run around wing and half forward chasing footy without much structure, but who wouldn’t?

1 Like

What position did he play as a junior?

Dunno, played half back, wing and half forward at top level 18s though.

Having just watched the first quarter back.

• cuts through traffic beautifully but puts from 40 out of the full, has green on on the outside two.

• ridiculously good half volley take our side of centre wing from long pass that dropped short to set up fwd entry.

• good lead inside 50 but missed set shot that I’d back him to kick more often than not

• good spoil inside defensive 50 which creates fast break which runs out of steam in our fwd 50 when colyer fumbles ( McKenna should have been used in this play and I reckon we would have score).

Basically 4 good things but failed to finish. Fanta 0.3 and miss too. Any other game and is 2.1 for him

5 Likes

Yeah, I remember he was touted as a tall skinny wingman.

My recollection of him becoming a spud was when they muscled him up, he looked like he didn’t know how to carry the muscle, as if the middle of his body couldn’t cope with the weight of the top, and he looked like he couldn’t run anymore.

Word Origin and History for laconic

adj.
“concise, abrupt,” 1580s, probably via Latin Laconicus, from Greek Lakonikos, from Lakon “person from Lakonia,” the district around Sparta in southern Greece in ancient times, whose inhabitants were famously proud of their brevity of speech. When Philip of Macedon threatened them with, “If I enter Laconia, I will raze Sparta to the ground,” the Spartans’ reply was, “If.” An earlier form was laconical (1570s). Related: Laconically.

Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/laconic

Apologies to pre for my lack of laconicity.

3 Likes

I’m putting that one down to the wet surface.

I was talking about Lang, Kep was ruck and ruck rover but the hype was always that he’d end up as a key position.

Had a look at the first qrt and Ivan you are correct. Langford did some very good things perhaps not noticed. He was responsible for outreaching Heeney and tapping ball to Howlett for a centre clearance as well. I was distracted by children part of the 1st half , but he has a few strings.

I think Langford is under a very large microscope and is probably as heavily scrutinized as any other player.

If he had his time again he probably wouldn’t have muttered the name Fyfe!

Putting that aside though, he is developing pretty good for 20 year old tall midfielder that so far has played predominately as a 3rd tall forward.

Having watched him closely throughout the VFL season, it is very obvious that he can do things that most others can’t, and has physical attributes that midfielders his size shouldn’t have.

You could also see that he was growing in confidence with the more responsibility he was given and I feel that the same will happen in the seniors.

Similar to Conor, poor the games into him now while we are still building and reap the rewards later. I don’t see him as a clearance beast and I’m not convinced the club does either. So if you expect Langers to throw his body under a pack and rip it out like Hird used to then I think you will disappointed. I would consider him to be more an outside mid that can win his own ball and given more experience I think he’s going to be a very good one.

4 Likes

a few other plays from that game I’d like to edit too…

1 Like

Everyone knows I’m the worst typist on blitz

The only attribute keeping you from surpassing ‘BakerWasAStar’ as best Blitzer!

I believe this is spot on. He is or will be that roaming midfield creative link and i think he said somewhere thats what Worsfold sees him as. This makes 100% sense , as this is how he has played VFL from all reports.

1 Like

From what I see he’s A slightly more outside version of Pendles if that makes sense.

Some I have noticed say that he’s slow but I disagree.

He’s not fast by any means but he has that ability to work in tight places like Pendles can and make his own time and space. Another thing I have seen him do consistently is pick up the ball from his laces and in one motion stand up, shuffle around an opponent or two and hit a target lace out. He does all that motion whilst accelerating away and very few if any can do that at his height.

I think he’s playing under a great deal of expectation but he needs to be persisted with because in my opinion this kid is going to be a matchwinner. He needs time to develop though.

5 Likes

As a midfielder he seems reactive, His first game he threw himself at the ball. I think the next game against hawthorn he got a bad knock… i think that was the game?

Im wondering if that event had any impact on his attack on the ball??

Watch his highlights from his first game his attack on the ball was un-questionable… he just looks reactive now… maybe a defensive roll on a midfielder?

On the lead he seems great.

Think i would prefer Parish in for Langford for the time being as a mid.

I think his only savour next year is we need to clean out at least 8 players

Thought that Langford was very good in the midfield in the first half.

But unfortunately, there were a two further quarters.

Was decent today. Hard to be more positive in general. Many were worse than him so I hope it’s not another excuse for Langford bashing.

2 Likes

In the off season he needs to work on his hard hands… If he can reduce the fumbles it will do wonders for his confidence