#4 Kyle Langford — not our worst in possibly our worst

Guile Langford?

14 Likes

Bring him in!

Where is the DISlike button!!!

But he isn’t racking up 30 every week in the VFL. When he is consistently racking up 30 while also doing the defensive team things consistently. Of course he will be brought in. The talent is there the consistency is not.

He did that to get back in the first place and was swiftly shunted straight back out , unlike many others. If you want to talk about the defensive team things , perhaps have a look at some of the midfielders playing in the ones, some of them could do a bit more two way running !!!

Pretty sure this is bait, but “A New Hope Awakens”? You mean either A New Hope (the original 1977, episode 4) or The Force Awakens (Ep. 7, released 2015). Or it’s a deliberate dig at the fact the TFA had basically the identical plot to ANH.

1 Like

If that was the criteria then we would literally play about 12 players each week. Not sure why the criteria for Langford should be any different.

Its this.

2 Likes

His a mid and its VFL, he needs to show consistency before he gets a game before others. Coaching staff obviously agree as he has not been named. Langford offers not near as much as Myers in the contest. His body work and strength around stoppages allows our other mids to win the ball. This is why he stays in the side, and gets a game before Langford.

Langford is a good HFF but not yet as good a mid as Myers is.

Myers also volunteered to play VFL when he was so called dropped. He then tore it up in the VFL and was put back in the side to the detriment of Langford who play pretty well for one game.

2 Likes

He has averaged 24 touches, 7 tackles and a goal a game. Ok it’s not a 30 average but it’s not bad. To say he has been inconsistent when he has put up those numbers is reaching.

2 Likes

Exactly

We’ve got stuff all out of the last 2-3 mids all year, and Begley is the only Green/Fanta replacement option that’s looked like working.

It wouldn’t have taken much at all to make a lot of us a lot happier:
On whatever rankings or chart they use to work out where everyone sits, Howlett and Myers go down a notch or two; Begley and Langford and Lav and Mutch come up a bit.

I reckon he’s physically more susceptible than most to being bumped off it. Sydney in particular basically lined him up a few times and knocked him around a little and he can’t ride the bumps as well as we’d hope for a kid his size.

Needs to get stronger.

I think the head and skills are there. And they’re harder to get.

Also needs to lower his centre of gravity in the contest more. He stays too tall around the congestion. Jobe should give him some pointers before he heads off to nyc.

I think he has the strength, tackles break on him like water at VFL level but he doesn’t handle big midfielders that engage him early at AFL level well.

He needs to get a few tricks up his sleeve and try to work on being first to engage to get his opponent off balance rather than getting caught early with someone under his shoulder.

I think he can pull this sort of thing together pretty quickly though with regular senior midfield time and good coaching.

I’m seriously bullish about Langford. I think an incredible player will blossom before our eyes over the next two to three years.

5 Likes

Check those numbers against Myers in the VFL though?

munna, talking to yourself is the first sign of madness. Good points on Langford though.

2 Likes

I agree with this. I’m far more confident about Langford then Laverde

2 Likes

I see it the other way around.

Yeah his are very good, only a limited sample of 4 games. But each time he has deserved his elevation.

I think they’ll both be fine players if they do the work. And there’s nothing to suggest they wont.

Both already look a step above VFL. Both have shown positive signs at the top level. Both just need time and games imo.

4 Likes

I don’t think either of them look “a step above VFL” at all, they both look handy players but they are not on a level with Parish or McGrath. That is a step about VFL.

1 Like