#4 Kyle Langford — not our worst in possibly our worst

2 seasons? 2016 mate

2 Likes

The frustrating thing about lav, was that he wasn’t a fumbler early on (draft year, first year)

Might be a season one would think

I thought he had a real go in the last VFL games.
Must play consecutive games for him and mids to form a new cohesive team.

If I was to put a positive spin on Langford’s year I would say that the coaching panel have spent the year developing his game in the magoo’s. It was clear that the club thought he had a role and they certainly tried it out in the preseason and first couple of rounds. But his problem was his inability to get the ball. It didn’t help that the club stuck him at half forward where he looked lost.
Hope he finds his mojo and can be that inside beast the club seems to be looking for from him.

I don’t know that either laverde or Langford will be as good as we think. I’m not really that bullish about either 3 years in

5 Likes

Hopefully it’s just a confidence experience thing. I just remember him tackling in year one.

Colyer’s thing was weird. He was good on Saturday and I watched a bit of Anzac Day last night and he was also quite sound. God knows what happened in between

1 Like

Think we’re being a bit hard on Langford.

It’s been tough for him seeing the Bulldogs miss the finals after the highs of last year.

1 Like

He has played exactly where he should have been in the VFL developing as a mid. He has made good progress and played some very good VFL games. Next year he will pretty much be forced to play in the AFL, but will do so with a good grounding in his position. He will have some good games, but be inconsistent, as most young mids are of his size. Considering he is a natural fwd and not a mid, I think he is progressing about as well as can be expected.

7 Likes

I do not think Langford will make a mid-field player, but he could be handy in defence. He is as big as Ambrose, faster, a much better mark and the same size. Sheedy would have tried him out in defence already and probably Laverde as well.

I think it was clear that at mid year he had to play full time mid to learn his role. Regardless of whether it was in VFL or AFL.

I have more faith in him now than I did earlier in the year and certainly more than this time last year.

His form at VFL level has been more consistent and at a higher performance leve.
He’ll earn his opportunity next year.

Hopefully he doesn’t disappoint as a spot in our forward line may no longer be available to him.

3 Likes

This is what we need to do to him to get some intensity!

2 Likes

What excites me most about next year is (bar injury) we’ll know if Langford and Laverde are any good.

They’ll be in there 4th season and will be given every opportunity by Worsfold i reckon, if they can’t solidify a senior position or atleast be amongst the best in a couple of games then we’re in trouble and have spunked the 2014 draft up the wall.

4 Likes

Lang’s expression wouldn’t even change in this situation.

1 Like

Langford needs a block of 6+ games at senior level next year. He looks like a big bodied midfielder, However, I dont think he qualifies as a “bull” but we need to see what he can bring at AFL level.

If we want big bodied midfield “bulls”, there are 2 potential players already on the list. Big Boy Begley, and Francis. Those powerful boys will bust packs to get the ball / get it out and should at least be tried out in the midfield group during the preseason, to see if theres potential.

Imagine if at least 2 of Langford, Laverde and Francis can have a ripping preseason and demand a best 22 for the whole season. Will be farking huge for the teams future!

4 Likes

I was at that point at end of last year. I was pretty excited at the thought of Langford especially getting a heap of senior games and turning into a star.

As it stands now I want to give them both the chop. Thankfully I don’t get to make that call.

2 Likes

I am an unashamed fan of Kyle Langford. I think he has some real first grade weapons - lovely hands, very nice kick, nice sidestep in traffic, good decision maker. I think he could comfortably be a first grade third tall and I think he will make it as a mid but not the big contested beast we all want/need. He is really good in traffic but he isn’t a smash and grab type inside player, he kind of floats through traffic rather than bashes through. I think he will become a player that plays both inside and outside, wins his own ball and links play. I think he also needs some really good contested players playing alongside him as he isnt geared to be the main ball winner. I’m sure the coaches would see that. But he has a very good midfielder in there and I’m really confident the wait will be worthwhile.

17 Likes

Nailed it

I don’t see it!

The game has gone beyond the midfield plodders, unless they are contested beasts. Based on what your saying, he is not a contested beast, therefore no spot for him in the midfield. I would actually like to see him tried off the half back line in a Goddard type role.

1 Like