Mason and Max - gridiron men

What evidence do you have any of this? I’ve never heard anyone within the AFL be anything but supportive of the father-son rule.

And how is Daniher tied to one club for his whole career? He didn’t have to sign with Essendon (or Sydney) and he can now be traded or go into the draft just like any other player

People I know say Fletch’s younger boy, Max is a better player than Mason was at the same age.
Mason will be all right, Max could be anything.

10 Likes

Their old man said as much a while ago

I saw Max having kick to kick with his mates at Richmond half time preseason game. The boy has swagger, looks to me a forward. Small sample size I know :grin:

4 Likes

We were only allowed to do that because Daniher was a sure thing of going right up the pointy end of the draft, so we therefore committed our first round pick on him a year out. Given Mason isn’t a sure-thing first rounder we won’t be committing our first pick on him just yet. If he has a ripping season this year and other clubs force us to use our first, then so be it, i’d be stoked.

Also key defender or?

Anything.

5 Likes

No we didn’t. I have no idea what the circumstances surrounding Joe training with us were. I assume we just applied and given those circumstances the AFL approved.

Come draft time there was just as much possibility for us not using our first rounder on Joe as there was for say Jack Bowes for GC. Technically possible but never gonna happen. Port bid with pick 7 and we paid up. On the day.

It’s hard to know.
He’s fairly small, as I understand it.
But then who knows how he grows in the next four years or so.
I do know he won a comp B&F a few years back,

So another Darcy and Joe scenario

Could he be president?

If Mason turns out half as good as his Dad, he would be well worth investing our #1 pick.

After all, who else would we get at pick 18?

3 Likes

Utility. Got it.

Spot on with both points (1) and (2). The potential windfall (or unfairness) from a father-son recruit was watered down years ago when the rule was changed from clubs needing to bid only a 3rd round pick to access their F/S candidate, to now having to match the bids of other clubs - imagine if we’d been able to get JD for pick #51 instead of #10! From memory, Geelong’s success was what got the rule changed after they’d managed to get Scarlett, Ablett Jr and Hawkins from F/S selections at bargain-basement prices.

1 Like

Whats the potential of this happening? I know he’s been injured but is he still on the radar? Late to rookie pick?

My mate has umpired him quite a bit in the TAC cup over the last couple of years. Doesn’t reckon he’s all that good and would struggle to get drafted if not for the surname. I reckon he’ll be rookie drafted by us.

2 Likes

Yep, absolutely right.

I said at the time when Geelong got that father-son treasure trove that the AFL would change the F-S rule the year that it looked like it would benefit EFC. And so it came to pass. Just like they changed the priority pick rule the year it would benefit us, etc etc.

1 Like

They changed it the year Darcy got drafted, 3-4 years before Joe.

Yes, I know.

He’s a chance to be rookied but he is very raw and is a long term option because of his dad.