Mason and Max - gridiron men

Easily one of the top 5 by foot in this years draft pick from what I’ve seen

2 Likes

LOL

When You look at Umpires votes in the Brownlow, hard to believe they are judges of anything.

Dustin was never a favorite of umpires.

1 Like

Fair enough. Not on his own though, 'Boot has made the same assessment that he is likely a rookie selection.

I miss Dustin’s kickouts, reckon we lead the competition in scores from kickouts with Dustin taking them; if Mason’s kicking is half as good and he has is dads height and athleticism then he is more than worth a rookie spot.

1 Like

Is Mason demonstrative like his dad?

1 Like

Doesn’t even know the meaning of the word.

5 Likes

Dustin was very quiet as a kid.

Tin foil lasts for years…

Hey, not many rated Bezerk as draftable last year.

If Dodoro thinks he has something then when it comes to late round KPP I really trust his eye on them

11 Likes
25 Likes

Spiderman-300x169

23 Likes

Lol. Very good donut.

1 Like

Like father,like son

Dusty looks like he could play still haha

1 Like

Can Dustin please be a playing-coach in the VFL

Hell, if they brought him into the AFLXcrement, I might watch

Fletcher returns to The Hangar

Conor Walsh

Dustin Fletcher has taken up a new role developing the next generation of Bombers including his son Mason (left). (Image: AFL Media)

Essendon legend Dustin Fletcher says he is thrilled to be back at The Hangar in his new role as a Next Generation Academy assistant coach in 2019.

The 400-game Bomber will predominantly work closely with the academy players in developing their defence, but he expects to be someone to turn to for insights into all facets of the game.

“Mainly it will be a lot to do with the defensive side of things, but in saying that, it will be anything from skill work to body positioning – there’s quite a few tall lads in there that I’ll be working with,” Fletcher said.

While watching over the senior Bombers’ match simulation on Thursday, Fletcher said he is hopeful he can join head coach and former teammate Heath Hocking in helping guide his pupils towards the big stage.

“I’ll be following and working closely with Heath in the program.

“But firstly, it will just be getting to know the guys and finding out their strengths and weaknesses, how we can help them and get them better to help fast-track them to coming up to this standard as you see out here.”

Fletcher’s knowledge of the NGA squad is better than most, with his eldest son Mason, 19, set to be among the key beneficiaries of the former star defender’s insights as he takes strides towards this year’s drafts.

Mason has been a teammate of several NGA prospects with TAC Cup side Calder Cannons in recent years, while Dustin’s coaching role at local school Penleigh and Essendon Grammar has also given him an early insight into his new team of students.

“I know a lot of the other kids that are in the NGA, because my boys have been at Calder and Mason has been there for two or three years now.

“I sort of watch the kids that are in the academy most weeks anyway, whether it will be practice games or games at Calder.

“There is the Essendon Grammar connection too, there’s a couple that go there that go to the school, which I’ll be coaching at as well.”

Mason Fletcher training at The Hangar last year. (Image: AFL Media)

The champion defender admitted it would feel different coaching his son on a professional basis this year.

“I think it will a little bit different, it’s a bit hard to say because I haven’t really had the chance to teach him out here in this professional environment before.

“Knowing Mason as a kid, he’s a reasonable listener anyway. But if he does get a little bit chirpy, I may have to knock it on the head or get ‘Buddha’ (Hocking) to have a bit of a word.

“I’m looking forward to the role. Whether I’m teaching my kid or the other kids, he’ll be treated just like another athlete and another player.”

The father-son pair joined together on Tuesday as the senior Bombers continued their preparation for the 2019 season, and Fletcher said it was a good opportunity to meet new faces at the club.

He will take part in a number of sessions with the AFL side throughout the year, much like the club’s VFL coaches, to ensure close alignment between all programs at The Hangar.

“It’s really all about making sure we’re on the same page as the coaches with regards to teaching techniques, terminology and things like that,” he said.

“So that was really a get-to-know session on Tuesday making sure we’re on the one page and making sure I’m not going to teach things that are different from game day.

“I really enjoyed it, it was nice to meet a few of the newer staff who have been here for around a year and a bit that I haven’t met.”

Having played a part at Essendon in minor ambassadorial roles in recent seasons, Fletcher is keen to get his hands dirty again in his return to the football department.

With his eyes set on personal development alongside his role in helping the club’s academy players be the best they can be, Fletcher can’t wait to dig in.

“With my role at Essendon Grammar, I still enjoy teaching kids and this is really ideal and a good start.

“I’ll do my best to fast-track these kids and get the best out of them to hopefully do a little bit more with the senior group or the VFL team down the track.

“I’m now learning off some very good coaches that we have here, so I’m really looking forward to being out on the ground and doing it in that sense.”

12 Likes

Love This!!!

Welcome back Fletch!

4 Likes

no matter what it is in reference to, this meme never fails to make me smile.

1 Like

It must be pretty handy as a parent to have Heath Hocking on standby in the event that your kid gets a bit too smart for their own good

3 Likes

22 likes for Fletch (400 game Essendon champion) standing with his son
21 likes for the Spiderman:Spiderman

that meme has something

1 Like

Are you of all people complaining about likes? Greedy much?

1 Like