Mason and Max - gridiron men

Big hair!

1 Like

FFS

Am I not allowed an opinion??

You’re allowed my opinion.

20 Likes

Just under 3 months till TAC Cup starts, I’ll be trying to get to a pre-season game before then with hopefully Mason and a few other gun Calder kids playing.

From someone who has seen him play live he has some crazy similarities to his old man and not just in looks. He kicks the footy the same although I haven’t seen him roost it as much his short kicking is fantastic for his size much like his old mans was. Takes a nice intercept mark as well.

4 Likes

Kevin Bartlett, Michael Tuck, Dustin Fletcher.

Nothing wrong with strong lean wiry muscles.

Pretty robust I reckon.

Is he actually any chop?

1 Like

Great kick of the footy.
Moves exceptionally well for his size
Reads the play well
Good over head mark

Struggles one on one in a marking contest
Gets pushed off the ball easily

1 Like

Good for 300+ games to get the 3 generations of Fletch to 1000 games, then.

So exactly like his father?

3 Likes

Yep.

You’d Think it’ll take him a few years to learn how to play against men.

Fletch was a gun one-on-one player who matched up against the likes of Lockett, Dunstall and Kernahan and Mason’s age. The comparisons are ridiculous.

5 Likes

Is your opinion “it looks stupid”, or “they shouldn’t wear it like that”?

Free kick, trip.

1 Like

Does he have a demonstrative demeanour?

6 Likes

Fletch wasn’t a gun one-on-one player at Mason’s age, though. He could spoil like a ■■■■, but he was rag-dolled for about the first 5 years of his career. And while yes, he did play on Dunstall, Ablett, Lockett, Sumich… He wasn’t exactly beating them, Modra being the only real exception. (And he did alright on Lockett around 96-97).

But if you’re more saying that Mason has ridiculously huge shoes to fill, and that the odds of him being anywhere near as good as his Dad are slim… Then yeah, I agree.

Not gonna be an easy gig for Mason, his Dad only retired like 2 years ago.

7 Likes

Well if he can be anywhere near as good as Jobe was compared to his old man we would be all very happy.

2 Likes

Or anywhere as good as his grandad.

Dustin Fletcher’s son Mason training with Essendon

ESSENDON has a Dustin Fletcher “clone” waiting in the wings, with the 400-gamer’s son Mason rapidly developing his game as he enters his final season of under-age football.

Mason is spending this month training with the Bombers, who have shown early interest in selecting him as a father-son pick at November’s national draft.

The 17-year-old stands 197cm, 1cm shorter than his famous father, and has a similarly lean frame.
The only noticeable difference between the two is the younger Fletcher’s flowing orange mop of hair.

Andrew Johnston, Mason’s TAC Cup coach at Calder Cannons last year, said there were clear similarities between father and son, right down to Mason’s love of kicking a long torpedo.

“He really is a clone of his dad. He just looks like him physically and runs around like him,” Johnston said.

“He’s really able to drop off his man and read the play and spoil and mark the ball.

“He has a crack at doing the prodigious torpedo punts, too. He does like to do them and has a crack at them sometimes, but he’s just got to keep practising them and I’m sure he’ll get them.”

Mason played 10 games in the TAC Cup in his bottom-age year last season, spending most of his time at full-back, and also played school football for Penleigh and Essendon Grammar.

Johnston said that while matching his father’s 400 AFL games might be a stretch, the early signs suggested Mason could carve out a successful career.

“The game’s probably changed a little bit since his old man came through,” Johnston said.

“He’s got the pedigree to really make it at that level.

“He’s just got to keep developing and keep improving, but he’s certainly got the qualities and the attitude to make it.”

Mason would be the third generation of his family to represent the Bombers.

Grandfather Ken Fletcher played 264 games for the club from 1967-1980.

The Cannons have another father-son prospect this year in Rhylee West, son of seven-time Western Bulldogs best-and-fairest winner Scott.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/essendon/dustin-fletchers-son-mason-training-with-essendon/news-story/b5c18e041a0bfe7c0e93798fd70eb799 (paywall)

Nice.

6 Likes

I don’t think he knows what the word means.

5 Likes
3 Likes