Former #32 Noah Gown

A bit like Spud Frawley as well.

Showed some really good signs yesterday, particularly in the second quarter. Several strong grabs - both inside 50 and hitting up the wings - and a really nice kicking action.

Needs to build consistency within games but looks a likely type. If we can develop him the way we did Hooker, this kid could be JDā€™s long term forward line partner.

Considering heā€™s a late comer to footy, his upside is enormous. There was talk a draft time that he was a real steal at the pick we used on him - yesterday made me see why. Iā€™m cautiously optimistic on this one. Could be a real goer.

9 Likes

Great signs. Plenty of potential with this guy. Probably wonā€™t feature much this year or next but could be ready to take over from Smack/Brown to play alongside Joe from 2021 onwards.

Being on the smaller side for a KPF heā€™ll need to build a great tank and focus on being good at ground level, offensively and defensively.

He already has good defensive instincts, strong hands and a great set shot routine, hereā€™s hoping he knuckles down over the next few years and can improve in the areas he needs.

I was wrong.

Based on his draft video, I thought he might be fairly immobile, dependant upon bullocking his defender out of the way to mark at full forward.

Reality is, he moves around much better than I expected.

PS. Just looked up Gown (194cm/91kg/pick60/19yo) compared to Darcy Fogarty (193cm/94kg/pick12/19yo)ā€¦Gown also said in interviews that he looked up to Charlie Curnow (192cm/96kg/pick12/22yo)ā€¦fingers-crossed that Gown can show some development signs along the lines of those much more-fancied players.

Topic for debateā€¦who is the better key forward, Gown or Francis?

Francis easily. Even if he was still in his first year with the aerobic capacity of a middle-aged smoker.

1 Like

I can understand why, the kids got some potential.

1 Like

Thanks - thatā€™s really pleasing to read. From the bits Iā€™ve seen he also looks happy and enjoying the game with his teammates. I guess winning well helps.

Might it have been worth playing him tonight? Given the dearth of available tall forward targets either injured or in Joeā€™s case rested, perhaps its earlier than expected but why not? He seems like the type where it wouldnā€™t phase him.

I hear he has a dearth of fitness. Fades in the second half.

People who genuinely are asking for Gown and Mozzie to debut this early seriously have no idea.

5 Likes

So the issues you mentioned a while back around discipline etc have been reigned in Iā€™m assuming?

1 Like

Anyone know when the big fellas back?

Liked what I have seen so far. Plenty to work with.

Is he injured? I must have missed that.

After the bye.

6 Likes

Thanks Paul.

There is something about him that tells me heā€™s going to have a good career.

Heā€™s a talent I think despite being a low pick.

1 Like

Didnā€™t do a great deal today coming off injury but every time I see him he does some things that impress me.

Few players have the ability to mark the ball in front of their face running full tilt with an opponent right on their hammer and Gown has shown that ability.

I think he might develop into a Dodoro special.

3 Likes

You think he can move into the midfield?

9 Likes