Former #32 Travis Colyer

haha…I was just blindly fishing for a retort man, don’t take it personally!
I agree Dell was a better mark.
But to get myself back on topic - I do think Travis is better in the air than all our smalls, aside from Fanta - who he is close to equal to.
He is also the fastest bar none. And stronger than any small we have.

him and Jobe

Brings WAY more to our side than he currently being given credit for. Breaks lines, creates space, works tirelessly. We’d miss him more than we missed Green, and we missed Green plenty.

He has fixed his kicking once before, I’ll back him to do it again.

2 Likes

[quote=“Deckham, post:1330, topic:467, full:true”]

haha…I was just blindly fishing for a retort man, don’t take it personally!
I agree Dell was a better mark.
But to get myself back on topic - I do think Travis is better in the air than all our smalls, aside from Fanta - who he is close to equal to.
He is also the fastest bar none. And stronger than any small we have.
[/quote]

A race between Travis, McG, Raz, Irish and Walla would be interesting, and I would back young Andy. However for speed and strength Walla is ahead of them all, though Raz is up there.

Is McGrath that fast? Haven’t seen it myself - quick hands and smart running, but haven’t seen speedy.

1 Like

[quote=“Bacchusfox, post:1333, topic:467, full:true”]

Nah, where ya going??
Have you seen Trav up close? He’s a tank. I know Walla is solid - but he has nothing on Trav.
McG would win over 120m maybe. Trav has more explosive take off than all except Walla. But he’d beat him over 20m, in my opinion. Fanta comes closest to him for 30/50m speed.

Maybe Bombers could do their own Ninja Warrior show!

1 Like

That would be awesome.
My pick for the one to go furthest would be Laverde.

Maybe Paddy Ambrose ?

2 Likes

His speed as an outside mid has still been invaluable this year though. We all know that we don’t have anyone that can replace him in that role so I guess it comes down to Trav and improving himself.

I believe in him.

1 Like

Has it really though?

1 Like

He really isn’t elite pace though, if you actually watch him, and how many times he gets corralled, pressured or tackled. Charlie Cameron is someone with elite pace.

McGrath will take his midfield minutes next season, and you won’t see much more of him after that starts to happen.

Disagree with you there. I’ve been watching him closely, because he surprised me a little while ago with his burst of speed. I don’t think he can sustain it for, like - 50m like Cameron could. But I think he is right up there over 30m.

1 Like

Here are some top speed stats from the AFL Live tracker (along with total ‘sprint efforts’) from our last 5 games. The app only shows the top 5 results across both teams so there are some gaps.

Fanta 34.4 (25), 32.2 (27), 32.5 (–), – (–), – (–)
Colyer 33.3 (28), 33.7 (24), 31.3 (–), – (–), 32.0 (–)
Tippa – (–), 32.1 (24), – (–), – (–), – (–)
Green – (–), – (–), – (–), 31.6 (–), 32.5 (25)
Bags – (–), – (–), – (–), 34.2 (26), 32.0 (24)
Hurley! – (–), – (–), – (–), 33.0 (–), – (–)
Stewart – (–), – (–), – (–), – (–), 34.4 (–)

So, according to the GPS data, Fanta and Stewart are the fastest, followed by Bags and Colyer. Of course this is top speed only - not acceleration, which is often more important.

It’s nice to see that Bags still has some wheels!

3 Likes

I went further back and got as many top speeds as I could. Here are the overall results:

1 . Fanta, Tippa & Stewart 34.4
4. Bags 34.2
5. Colyer 34.1
6. Hurley 33.9
7. McKenna 33.8
8. McGrath 33.7
9. Green, Joe & Pops 32.5
12. Zerrett 32.4
13. Hartley! 32.3
14. Brown 32.0
15. Zaka & Langford 31.3
17. Ambrose 30.9

It’s probably not surprising but none of Watson, Heppell, Goddard or Parish have made the top five in any game this year.

4 Likes

So in four out of the last five games, Colyer has done some of the fastest sprints on the ground out of both teams, is that what it shows? It’d be interesting to know the context of these sprints, if it’s running ahead on a fast break, running back to defend, ball in hand etc.

That lang top speeds pretty surprising.

Yep. That’s what the data shows.

There’s no way of knowing this. I would assume that it’s more likely to be without the ball, eg, chasing, leading, running in support etc

1 Like

Yep he did unfortunately, we were the other team.

Not to me, he can move when he gets going, still need to get more into his first few steps. But he has enough to move away from a contest.